Official New Hub World Record

John McCarter

I know Juha submitted a video to Dr. Strossen, who has been traveling the last few days.

Two questions:

1. Did anyone ever contact IronMind on John's lift?

2. Were there any other lifts that were record-breaking on the way to the lift that won his competition? I got the impression that the one on video was his 3rd lift, and I wonder what his previous lift was prior to his winning one.

I know Juha submitted a video to Dr. Strossen, who has been traveling the last few days.

Two questions:

2. Were there any other lifts that were record-breaking on the way to the lift that won his competition? I got the impression that the one on video was his 3rd lift, and I wonder what his previous lift was prior to his winning one.

1st attempt was 55 lbs.

2nd attempt was the weight I used in the video but missed.

3rd attempt was the lift I made.

4th attempt was 102 or 103 lbs I failed to lift.

I do not know if anyone had contacted IronMind about my lift.

Two questions:

1st attempt was 55 lbs.

I'm just curious why you opened so low and then made nearly a 40 lb jump. Based on your training, 55 seems like a wasted attempt. I even started at 65 and I only ended at 72.05. I would figure your first attempt would be like 80 and then like 85 to break the record and then more for the attempts 3 and 4.

• Like 2

Two questions:

1st attempt was 55 lbs.

I'm just curious why you opened so low and then made nearly a 40 lb jump. Based on your training, 55 seems like a wasted attempt. I even started at 65 and I only ended at 72.05. I would figure your first attempt would be like 80 and then like 85 to break the record and then more for the attempts 3 and 4.

I didn't know what I was going to do, I just wanted to make sure I had something in case every other attempt I made failed.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to lifting 120lbs on the hub?

"Right now, I'm able to pull over 110 lbs no problem, my max is 122.4 lbs, scary thing is I may pull even more than this with no problem within a couple of weeks. Haven't done it for reps but I would figure I could do 95-99lbs for doubles or triples."

I know the mods are reading this, so I'd just like to say that you're a great person, everyone likes your personality, and definitely nobody would jump at the chance to karate chop you in the throat.

• Like 3

"Right now, I'm able to pull over 110 lbs no problem, my max is 122.4 lbs, scary thing is I may pull even more than this with no problem within a couple of weeks. Haven't done it for reps but I would figure I could do 95-99lbs for doubles or triples."

You have less class than anyone I've ever met. Congratulations on actually being the best at something. Quite an achievement.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure he will in time. Timing a max lift in a rising bar contest is much harder than ramping up at your own pace in the garage. Given the fact it was John's first contest, I'm sure he will have it game planned to a T at the next go.

• Like 1

BOTH of you guys are beasts on the Hub. I'd love to see a head-to-head in a comp one if these days.

John, you should just find a way to make it up to Detroit December 12th and stake your claim ! That would be freakin sweet if you could !

Edited by kodyburns
  • Like 1

The IronMind Hub. Never in my life did I dream that anyone would care enough about it to be throwing spitwads at each other over it. It's great! :grin:

Hey guys, I've been busy all day and just now getting the chance to play catch up. Below is some information to consider about what was going on during training and King Kong.

While preparing for King Kong I was hitting 100 lbs or higher every time I would lift the hub. Some days I wouldn't even warm up and just go for it, not a smart move but it is how I do things at times. I trained at/near maximum effort of what my body could handle. When I approached 120+ lbs on the hub two thoughts occurred in my mind: (1) this is killer that I'm hitting this much, (2) my body was hitting numbers it shouldn't be hitting right away. Let me explain this last part, the weights I used began to take a serious toll on my body and would be in pain from my back going out, I had to start wearing a weightlifting belt to help me out. Another problem I've been having for a number of weeks now is numbness in my right thumb that's causing a low of issues in regard to how I can approach my personal training. There are still a few minor bodily problems I have to watch out for at this current time. I know it my numbers may drop but I've stopped using the hub for now, because the numbers/weights I used are too much right now and I have to plan this out more for a year's worth of training, not 5 1/2 or 6 weeks but 52 weeks.

Going into King Kong, I made no claims of what I was going to lift but knowing that I could possible break 100 lbs, or higher, I felt a great pressure on myself knowing that the issue became a mental barrier. There are not a lot of people in the world that can really say they have attempted this much weight officially. There was only 4 attempts that I could really make; I had to play around with knowing where I wanted to start out at. Again, the type of pressure I felt is really beyond words at this point in time. Did I feel that I was at my best that day, no! Way too much thoughts came into my mind and I could not approach it in the same manner as I did in training. I was having one of the worst off-days of my life; can't always have a great day, so I'm just going to chalk it up and look at it as a true learning experience that I can take information away from on what to do better in the future.

Will I get the chance to prove it once again, maybe one day but for right now that may not happen for some time as I have personal matters to take care of in my life. Lifting and grip are having to take a backseat, I'm not stopping what I'm doing and will continue to improve what I can work on. Like I noted in my training log, my woman and I are moving and fixing up a house right now. Most of our funds are really tight because of the move, I have to look for employment else where.

Congratulations! Huge lift!!

Will I get the chance to prove it once again, maybe one day but for right now that may not happen for some time as I have personal matters to take care of in my life. Lifting and grip are having to take a backseat, I'm not stopping what I'm doing and will continue to improve what I can work on. Like I noted in my training log, my woman and I are moving and fixing up a house right now. Most of our funds are really tight because of the move, I have to look for employment else where.

John, you don't have to explain or prove anything. Your numbers are far ahead of anyone else's. There is plenty of time to get back to it. Don't worry about it. It's not going anywhere soon.

• Like 2

Great lift. 100 soon in contest.... Don't beat yourself up about not hitting training numbers. Contests are a different beast.

-Hard to know where to open up

-How much weight to add between attempts.

-getting warmed up right in a social environment where it's more fun to hang out and bs

-staying mentally and physically "on" for 4-6 hours or more of the average contest.

Etc... Congrats on the record!

Thats the truth with contests.

I'm trying to get strick on what I do.