Attn: strongerthanarne

Fuel Crusher

So as not to hijack MonStars's thread I thought I'd start a new topic. Hope you dont mind :)

Re: Help with my Ironmind order....

You said that the idea of abbreviated workouts does not work for you but it looks to me as though you have a cracking abbreviated workout, few exercises and all core lifts. Im just curious how you faired doing a workout with similar lifts but just one set to failure in the 8 to 10 rep range maybe more for the squats and deads. I'm assuming you've tried this type but your low rep more sets work better because thats what you do now. :D

I would consider a high volume workout to consist of many exercises alot of them isolation and for the same bodypart for muliple sets.

Regards

FC

Guest StrongerthanArne

Fuel Crusher,

The abbreviated workout I followed in the Dinosaur Training is probably better termed "extremely abbreviated". It consisted of rather few exercises, each comprising five increasingly heavier singles. My current weightlifting workout is also abbreviated but not nearly as much as that I followed in the Dinosaur Training. When I do two exercises for the pecs plus a couple of triceps exercises, twice a week instead of my current bench press only once a week, my strength in the bench is about 15 per cent higher. I just don't have time to do it all and also work my gripp. Also I don't enjoy bench pressing that much because I am not very good at it (I am one of those who can deadlift twice as much as they can bench without a shirt). I have not tried doing only one set for 8-10 reps to failure. I used to do a lot of exercises for the upper arms and load myself with creatine but I got tired of getting a pump just by brushing my teeth. Also, my grip strength seemed to go down when I used creatine.

Cheers for replying Mikael, interesting.

If time is an issue in your workouts, I've also found it is in mine since I started grip work, it may be worth giving the 'one set to failure' style a try one cycle.

I currently alternate two workouts

A

Bench press - couple warm ups and one set to total failure in power rack for safety

Close grip Bench press - one set to total failure again in the rack, no need for warm ups

Squat - one set of 20 reps

Grip work

B

Pull downs - almost bodyweight with a 10kg plate tied around my waist, one set to total failure after couple warm ups

Trap bar deadlifts - one set 20 reps

Sometimes some shrugs with trap bar

Grip work

I'm lucky to be able to train while I'm at work but to be sure I don't take the **** I like to keep them short. Both usually take less than 45 mins.

All the best.

Paul