I'll Be Back

Teemu I

This made my day. Absolutely incredible. Is it a light, average or hard #3.5?

Looks like your hands are sub 8" too, or am I wrong?

This is an easier #3.5. My hands are under 7.5".

I would get that labrum fixed correctly

Well if you mean surgery, most of the similar grade labral tears heal just fine through patient rehab. I talked to an orthopedic surgeon about the surgery and he said that surgical labrum repairs rarely succeed well enough and that risk of failure is something to seriously consider.
I had my surgery done about 9 years ago when I fell off a roof and have never had a prob since. All of my strongest lifts have been after the surgery. Mine had torn off the bone though, man that was a sucky time in my life.

Sounds like yours was much worse than mine. I admit though that during the first 3 weeks when the pain was at its worst I thought many times that screw it, I'm done.

Rehab & Gripper Day

Shoulder rehab mostly with mini bands. Tried to hit all possible directions, face pulls+external rotation-combo felt really good as did a triceps pressdown+rear delt-combo. I am testing how the kb pressing feels each day, today I would say even better than yesterday. I have noticed that shoulder is at its worst in the mornings, that is of course due to the fact that I am not able to control the arm positioning during sleep. But the more I train, the better it feels. Chin-ups (my favourite) are unfortunately one exercise where the joint still feels a bit too unstable, can't yet start adding extra weight.

Grippers:

R: 5 TNS single attempts with #3.5. 3 of them closes

L: 5 TNS single attempts with #3. Just 1 of them closed

- no chalk

Also tried to set a #4 few times, wow I have a lot of work to do to get back. :sick:

Edited by Teemu I
  • Like 3

Ring Training

Rotators with minibands

Ring Chin-ups
Ring Chin-ups with false grip
Typewriter Ring Chin-ups
Hanging Leg Raises on Rings
Focus on strict execution and decent top position holds.

Grip Training

No set attempts @ Narrow 201 lbs BB Pro. 5 singles. Just a test to see how much "re-wiring" I need to do. A lot. :grin:

1 kg shot rotations

Grip feels sort of fun again. Almost like it did from 2005 to 2010, when I worked my ass off to develop my grip. I have a feeling this is going to be a decent grip year. :)

Just went through my old videos and noticed I did some things that feel very, very far away now. But, I'll still set goals for PR feats as follows for this year. One at a time...I will adjust the list and add some goals later I think.

- 110 kg RT (got air with 109 kg back in 2012)

- 100 kg wrist curls

- # 4 block set close (old PR 201 lbs #4 deep set close)

- Narrow Pro TNS (old PR about 3 mm miss)

- Hard #3.5 TNS

- Hard #3.5 pinky and ring finger hold (done this with easy #3.5, but this is going to be a tough sob)

Some of those would open up the possibility to attempt some others, such as MM 5 etc..but will just have to see how long it takes to get back to my old self.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Strong lifting bud. Hope it isn't the end of your log for another year haha!

• Like 1

This is great stuff!!!
Always loved your blog!!! will be following this closely of course!

Kind regards
/peter

• Like 1

Great to see u back in action!

• Like 1

Speed benching this morning. Getting faster. http://youtu.be/0xT904ibzUo

Not a big fan of benching but of course it will help. 

Speed squats from yesterday's training. https://youtu.be/kDsGWfRHBOw

Doing less direct grip work at the moment. Focus is getting stronger overall while staying lightweight. Working some grip between sets. 

Edited by Teemu I
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Competed today in Silarukov Grip Event organized by Jouni Mähönen. Placed second in under 83 kg class. Decided to enter this competition for a good grip training session and to see where I am with certain lifts. Also happy to see that my own scale doesn't lie very much. I intend to diet down to 74 kg. Was 76 kg in the morning at home and was 75,8 kg at the official scale. 

• Like 4

Turns out I got two 83 kg class World Records, nice. 50 mm pinch block and 76 mm rolling handle thumbless lift. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

60 mm bar, thumbless deadlift and hold with 130 kg @ 73,9 bodyweight. Wasn't as bad as I expected after 2 weeks of flu.

6 hours ago, Teemu I said:

60 mm bar, thumbless deadlift and hold with 130 kg @ 73,9 bodyweight. Wasn't as bad as I expected after 2 weeks of flu.

The only thing preventing Finland from claiming its first class WR (74 k) in one of the 'big three' (in this case grippers with 20 mm block set) is an opportunity for you at a sanctioned competition. Go get it!

• Like 2

So I competed at World's Strongest Hands today. Did my best and of course eagerly waiting for the official results! Excellent day, had fun. I have regained my passion. 

• Like 3

Saw on World of Grip that you smashed the 1HP WR in the 74k class with 44.1k!

Very impressive and great to see a Finn reclaiming a WR in the pinch lift (I think the 83k WR was held by a Finn at one stage). It was going to happen sooner or later given the depth of the talent pool in grip sport in Finland.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Saw on World of Grip that you smashed the 1HP WR in the 74k class with 44.1k!

Very impressive and great to see a Finn reclaiming a WR in the pinch lift (I think the 83k WR was held by a Finn at one stage). It was going to happen sooner or later given the depth of the talent pool in grip sport in Finland.

Thank you very much! If my calculations are correct, I also got another 74 kg class WR with axle hold. For the future I have to decide if I move up a weight class seeing as 83 kg is more often contested. 

• Like 1