Wrist Problems!

Trav101

Hi all, 1st time poster!

I've joined the board in the hopes of finding some advice about wrist injuries.

I started armwrestling regularly about 4 months ago, during the 1st 2 months I went through the regular elbow inflammation pains but it was more fun pain than serious pain that we all shared in together. From month 2-3 I was almost impervious to inflammation pain. Neither arm would really feel that side pressure inflammation and an armwrestling session at the end simply felt like a good bicep pump, it was great!

By about month 3, both wrists failed on me at pretty much the same time. Nothing crazy, but pain, pain bad enough to prevent armwrestling properly. It occurs when resisting top roll pressure but my own top roll or hammer curl type pressure ellicits no pain at all.

It seems to hurt deep inside the wrist, there is no pinpoint location that hurts, its more like a general "everything of the wrist".

I can still armwrestle with the guys but only if they hold lower down on my hand, almost around my wrist so that there's no pressure on the hand and it sucks balls because it feels like my hands are going to be lagging way behind.

I know nothing is broken or torn and I can gym mostly pain free but the healing process is soooo slow, though I know it will heal eventually with basic recovery exercises.

What I really want to know is, what is this? is this common? Has it happened to any of you? How long did it take to heal? Some exercises you feel helped you heal faster?

Thanks for reading!

I cant really answer much since I dont armwrestle but every time I get pain in my wrist I loop a powerband, rubberbands for benching etc, around my hand and hook the other side over a door handle or something.

Then i stand back and pull my arm back while relaxing my wrist and hand.

This pulls the hand and stretches the wrist joint.

Inside the wrist are 7 or 8 small bones.

One or more of these bones might be dislocated and that hurts.

Try tretching the wrist outwards like this, twisting your arm carefully while under tension.

Hope that made sense.

See a doctor. Get an x-ray. Something could be fractured. I had 6 fractures in my hand and wrist and swore nothing was broken, just stressed or bruised.

• Like 1

Symptoms I'm reading about regarding fractures include swelling, tenderness, sometimes bruising, sharp pains, pain that increases over time. I have none of these, and my pain is reducing over time. Maybe I'll get an x-ray if another month comes and goes with no change.

It could be a wrist sprain. If so, an xray won't show anything. Better a minor sprain than a fracture. Lots of rehab and rest.

Arm wrestling is an extremely brutal sport. Takes a while before your tendons get used to the abuse. Without that foundation you can experience pain and possible injury.My suggestion would be to work the wrists with a few different exercises with light weights to get some blood flowing in the problem areas and get your body back to a base level, then get back into arm wrestling but know your limits! The second you feel pain you need to walk away from the table and cool off. Just be patient. Eventually your body will strengthen the tenonds and muscles needed and you won't experience as much pain and can pull harder.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're pulling with a Cobra Rhodes style with your wrist bent 90 degrees to your forearm you will suffer wrist pain. I tried pulling like that for a little while and I got hurt so now I pull differently to avoid hurting myself.

• Like 1