Gripper To Buy Next?

ChimpGrip

Couple of updates on my training-I began training with grippers in march I believe, and couldn't get the No. 2 down until July. Now, with a good hand, I can close the No. 2 for reps (did a set of 5 a couple of weeks ago) and have closed the 2.5 for a set of 2 reps as well. I have come a long ways since being able to only maybe close the No.2 once in a session

Should I get the GHP 6 to bridge the gap to the 3 or get the CoC 3.5 to "shock" my muscles with heavy negatives? Heavy negatives with the No. 3 blasted my gripper strength into orbit, but I want to know which one ill be better off with to continue working to closing the No.3

Thanks

Edited by ChimpGrip

Personally I've never had any success with heavy negatives, but a GHP 6 made a good bridge for the #3 for me.

• Like 2

Depends on what your goal is, but get the ghp6 for a rep gripper and the 3.5 for negatives.

I was about where you started in January. I bought a ghp 6 and it did an excellent job of bridging the gap to the number 3. However about a month before I closed my 3 for the first time bought a Tetting Elite to do negatives with. I think it also help me mentally, because after training with my elite my number 3 didn't feel near as intimidating as it did before.

Depends on what your goal is, but get the ghp6 for a rep gripper and the 3.5 for negatives.

My goal right now is to close the 3

I vote for a bridge gripper. 3.5 is a little much still IMO. You will enjoy a bridge more right now.

• Like 1

I was about where you started in January. I bought a ghp 6 and it did an excellent job of bridging the gap to the number 3. However about a month before I closed my 3 for the first time bought a Tetting Elite to do negatives with. I think it also help me mentally, because after training with my elite my number 3 didn't feel near as intimidating as it did before.

Ill look into the tetting grippers. If and when I close the 3, what should be next if the 3.5 is in my sights?

Why don't you check out the gripper rating thread. It's a valuable resource. Or PM cannon.

And are you gonna take advice given or argue with everyone and make unreasonable goals. Like the 200lb DB thread you started or the crazy bending questions and comments?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42484#entry604449

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42236#entry600649

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

Ill look into the tetting grippers. If and when I close the 3, what should be next if the 3.5 is in my sights?

I have been looking for a MM1 around 160 for my next gripper goal

Why don't you check out the gripper rating thread. It's a valuable resource. Or PM cannon.

And are you gonna take advice given or argue with everyone and make unreasonable goals. Like the 200lb DB thread you started or the crazy bending questions and comments?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42484#entry604449

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42236#entry600649

I am aware of gripper ratings. I wanted to know which gripper of the two to get first to get closer to closing the 3. And I am working my way up the ladder

And are you gonna take advice given or argue with everyone and make unreasonable goals. Like the 200lb DB thread you started or the crazy bending questions and comments?http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42484#entry604449http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42236#entry600649

I am aware of gripper ratings. I wanted to know which gripper of the two to get first to get closer to closing the 3. And I am working my way up the ladder

don't think too much about it. I had a 1 2 and 3 only for the longest time and eventually got a hg250 that was only a little harder than my two. With those I closed the 3. So I'd say a good gap gripper would work great. Just buy one. /thread.

GHP 6. Closing gap grippers is a great way to progress and stay motivated.

lets not fry your tendons with negatives... when i was new to grip i thought i could do unlimited negatives... man was i wrong. They Will catch up you. The negs and overcrushes work magic for your gripper crush in a very short period (2 months for me ... first 2.5 close onto first 3 close) but nothing is free and your hands WILL pay the price as you climb the ranks. Bring up the base (i know that sounds boring) but you will have strong hands for a lifetime... not a 2-3 year gripper star turned burned out and injured has-been. Fortunately for me, I learned my lesson while i was still young in the game and had some great mentorship along the way!

And no i am not knocking on our big time gripper guys.. but i am sure they can agree that closing the heavyweight grippers don't come without a price and being imbalanced at that level is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

but i am sure they can agree that closing the heavyweight grippers don't come without a price

Do you mean closing big grippers in a short period of time with extreme tactics? Because I have absolutely no side effects from closing big grippers. I had one bout of tendinitis early on but I learned the reason why and I corrected it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

but i am sure they can agree that closing the heavyweight grippers don't come without a price

Do you mean closing big grippers in a short period of time with extreme tactics? Because I have absolutely no side effects from closing big grippers. I had one bout of tendinitis early on but I learned the reason why and I corrected it.

You're the hulk. What do you expect?

• Like 2

In 2008, I injured the heel of my hand doing negatives with a 220 lb. plus Number 4. It took me two months to recover. I would never do negatives with a gripper more than "Point 5" greater than one I could close. I had done less than 10 reps with it over a 10 day period of time...

It could have been from my age, but I think it could happen to anyone.

In 2008, I injured the heel of my hand doing negatives with a 220 lb. plus Number 4. It took me two months to recover. I would never do negatives with a gripper more than "Point 5" greater than one I could close. I had done less than 10 reps with it over a 10 day period of time...

Happened to me. I got a severe palm bruise from a Super Master. It was mostly my own stupidity, but the truth is that I wasn't ready to be working with that gripper, even if done responsibly.

Chez, any advice on the tendonitis. Been off and on for a while with it.

I had really bad tendinitis back in 2012 right after I certified on the COC #3. What I realized was I was training grippers some times 2-3 times a week which is way more than I do now and back then I was doing nothing for my extensors. I started training my extensors and I have never had the problem again. I use rubber bands like the ironmind expand your hand bands, but there are other ways to train them. I use those because its very convenient to do it while watching tv etc. You have to make a concentrated effort to keep your extensors up with your flexors. Strong extensors will also help you increase your crush since I feel your body holds you back when it senses an imbalance. Tendinitis is often the result of an imbalance in the arm caused from over using it one way. Any time I move up in grippers and grip in general, I make sure to increase my extensor work.

• Like 1

Happened to me. I got a severe palm bruise from a Super Master. It was mostly my own stupidity, but the truth is that I wasn't ready to be working with that gripper, even if done responsibly.

The way I would describe it as if you were slamming the heel of your foot onto the cement with tremendous force. Pushing that last little bit of the 4 onto the leg for a close...the amount of damage done in a short period of time was quite something.

So was not just from my advanced age after all, thanks for sharing that (and with a SuperMaster no less!).

DMSO and arnica gel is great for bruises. Cortisone is great for tendonits.

This is a great resource for tendonitis - http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fixing-elbow-pain

When my GHP 6 comes in, how many reps should I aim for? As for negatives, how often should you do them to prevent injury?

I currently only train with grippers once a week, with the training days being at least 1 week apart