Ed Coan

pawel r

Ed was the man. Back in the day I followed him when he first competed at 181. I used to just devour the PL USA magazine every month. There was just one org, no Internet, and the nonsense factor in powerlifting was night and day from today.

• Like 2

Remember the days of calling the number in the back of the book to find out the meet results? Things have changed for sure.

I was into Bodybuilding first but always read the monthly POWER feature in Muscle & Fitness. Ed was a perfect Powerlifter for M&F. He was 198 lb at the time and just looked jacked. I will never forget the photo they ran of Ed hitting an 880 lb Deadlift at 220lb!! He made you want to be both jacked and strong!! Tom Platz initially did the same thing for me but he had torn his bicep and was never the same. Between his body shape and how much he lifted/lb bwt, I think Ed was best at 220. Most folks don't know/realize that Ed could BENCH!! He was hitting TWO AND A HALF TIMES BWT @ 217.5lb in a T-SHIRT!! Folks, they had to make the ridiculous gear they have now just to try to keep up with him!! He was still totaling TEN TIMES BWT in the 242lb class with basic gear!!

• Like 2

I think I remember that M&F artical ... Ed was all dressed in white with his foot on a barbell if my memory is functional.

I think he was in a Weider white sweatshirt and pants. Had forgotten about that. The only time they seemed to bring up Olympic lifting was when Editor Jeff Everson(remember that?) who was a top collegiate Weightlifter, would write an article. His records were broken by some guy...uhhh...what's his name.... oh yeah... Mark Henry!!

Yeah I remember Jeff. His wife, Cory, had more to do with me noticing him than his name in M&F...or his past lifting; unfortunately, I didn't know where the meat and potatoes of strength came from back then. I was worried how my arms looked... At 13 ...14yrs old. Haha

• Like 1

Ed has always been a class act. I have known him since he was a 165 through 242. We built his favorite squat rack for him when he trained at quads gym and competed.It was hydraulic and on roller wheels ,it rolled in and out for width. Both he and Captain Kirk Kirwoski ( 1000x2)did their best squats on them. Ed was a quite lifting machine his arms were long and his hands huge like meat hooks to hold those 900 lb deadlifts. Truly a bright star in power lifting legend.

• Like 1

Yeah I remember Jeff. His wife, Cory, had more to do with me noticing him than his name in M&F...or his past lifting; unfortunately, I didn't know where the meat and potatoes of strength came from back then. I was worried how my arms looked... At 13 ...14yrs old. Haha

I was about the same age as well. Jeff was the first University Strength Coach?? He was a BIG influence on me. He was obviously smart, considered for a Rhodes Scholarship at one point, top collegiate Heavyweight Olympic Lifter, Powerlifter and National Ranked Bodybuilder. He made the Victor Richards articles happen though no one wanted to write about him because the story was too fantastic. Look at Jeff's magazine: Powerlifting, Olympic Lifting, Bodybuilding, Highland Games, T&A(and yes....that IS too a sport!). He loves it all!!

Wow, Jeff is more than I had known! Thanks for the info.

Victor Richards was a big boy... Glad he made that article happen.

I believe he had something to say about femininity and the women in the Olympia back in the day... Bev Francis was getting the heat.

Wow, Jeff is more than I had known! Thanks for the info.

Victor Richards was a big boy... Glad he made that article happen.

I believe he had something to say about femininity and the women in the Olympia back in the day... Bev Francis was getting the heat.

Jeff is a PhD. I believe his stance was this is not a beauty contest, these women are athletes. Think about it, I think I've got a few of his first articles written In Ironman in like 1979. He was on the cover of Muscular Development's August 1983 issue: BigJeff_zpsf03db786.jpg

Lastly, he and Cory did many Mixed Couples bodybuilding competitions when it first began.

In my mind he's the best powerlifter of all time. There is no questions that his lifts will more then pass in any federation wearing minimal gear.

• 3 weeks later...