The Great Axle Race To 3 Benjamins

Electron

I did axle over the weekend but didn't beat 280.

Grip training hasn't been going my way lately but I think the winds of change might be blowing in...at least I'm hoping so lol...

I noticed that all my grip progress went to hell after I passed the L drill rod level with bending. Are you still doing a lot of bending Frank?

Anthony,

Honestly, since I started dedicated bending just about all my grip numbers have gone to crap.

My grippers have dropped dramatically and haven't recovered. I went from occasionally closing a 144 to now usually missing a 122!

My 2hp has dropped at least 20 lbs possibly 30 lbs (I'm afraid to test my max!). The only thing that hasn't really suffered is my axle, but it hasn't gone up either.

To answer your question about bending...no, I'm taking some time off leading up to the Backyard Bastard Bash next month to try to recover some of my gripping ability so I don't look silly at the contest lol. I'm not worried about the bending portion, I can kill a big bastard with zero warm-up sometimes a huge if I feel good. So I'm thinking a month off isn't going to set me back too awful much...at least I don't think

On a side note:

I ran through the events for nationals a few weeks ago at Andrew P's and all my lifts were actually a good 10% less than my first contest ever! I directly attribute it to the bending...it's the only thing that has changed in my routine.

Yep, this is a plight that seems to happen to most grip guys turned benders. I've learned that it is impossible to gain on everything all at once. You really have to train things in cycles. The good thing is that you are probably one of the best benders in the world right now, so you can't argue with that. I think after some time off from bending, you'll see your grip strength start to come back quick. At least I hope so lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great workout today...things seem to be going fantastic for me since I've layed-off the bending.

I hit a new axle pr today with 285, and I just barely...and I mean barely missed 290. I uploaded the 285 and I'll link it in here. I also just missed 205 on the 2hp which would have been a 5 pound p.r.! With the way my training has been going i'm optimistic I'll hit 300 on the axle soon, and possibly 215 on the 2hp sometime this year!

Here's the video:

• Like 2

Had a great workout today...things seem to be going fantastic for me since I've layed-off the bending.

I hit a new axle pr today with 285, and I just barely...and I mean barely missed 290. I uploaded the 285 and I'll link it in here. I also just missed 205 on the 2hp which would have been a 5 pound p.r.! With the way my training has been going i'm optimistic I'll hit 300 on the axle soon, and possibly 215 on the 2hp sometime this year!

Here's the video:

Dang man, great job! Your form looks spot-on.

Keep trucking. 300 is in plain sight.

Regrettably, I've decided to drop out of this race. I pulled my back for the second time yesterday, from deadlifting.

I'm going to be shooting for a respectable squat instead.