The Great Axle Race To 3 Benjamins

Electron

I'm joining this race too, my best is between 275 to 285 depending what the axle in my gym weighs, some people say it's 65, some 75, I'll weigh it myself.

It would have to be solid steel to weigh that much. I thought most were like 25-30lbs

I weighed it at 70 lbs, not sure who the manufacturer is, but it's much heavier than a standard bar. I did not use it today, tomorrow I'll post the weigh, and what I can lift with it.

I'm gonna try out some Fatgripz extreme today. Hoping to get at least 200lbs... they look humbling.

Aw snap, they were very humbling.

183lbs.

I didn't feel it in my grip though, this was all wrist strength.

Also got air with 193. Probably would've locked it out quickly if I didn't care about the chance of dropping the weight.

Those super fat diameters force the wrist to keep the hand cupped back. Chris James is the absolute king of wrist power - the weight he lifts DO on 2.5" and fatter is astronomically beyond anyone else's ability.

• Like 1

Those super fat diameters force the wrist to keep the hand cupped back. Chris James is the absolute king of wrist power - the weight he lifts DO on 2.5" and fatter is astronomically beyond anyone else's ability.

I think that 2.0"-2.375" work both grip and wrist sufficiently and ideally.

Neither grip not wrist has a great mechanical advantage or disadvantage so will work hard equally to assist the other system.

3" is good for accessory work. But I'm glad it's not the norm.

Very interesting stuff on the extremes. I just got a pair and haven't used them yet but now I'm looking forward to it.

Also to Mr arbich...coliseum has an axle? I may think about joining up there again

Very interesting stuff on the extremes. I just got a pair and haven't used them yet but now I'm looking forward to it.

Also to Mr arbich...coliseum has an axle? I may think about joining up there

Here is the weigh in of the beast http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Lnh74hENd18

I did 262, switched to sumo 272, missed 282 twice, and missed 262 then did 212x6, ill try to do volume, no maxing out for a month.

Anthony it's been there for the passed 5 years.

Also to Mr arbich...coliseum has an axle? I may think about joining up there

Here is the weigh in of the beast http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Lnh74hENd18

I did 262, switched to sumo 272, missed 282 twice, and missed 262 then did 212x6, ill try to do volume, no maxing out for a month.

Anthony it's been there for the passed 5 years.

Lol damn. I went there during my "bodybuilding" phase and probably never took notice to it.

• 8 months later...

I'm posting to remind people participating in the MM0 race and otherwise, that this race is still active.

Tested my max the other day, and still had 265 in me.

I'll be chasing both feats since I'm bulking. Hope to reignite competition here.

Forgot about this,

I actually own an axle now so I can test it properly!

After switching to sumo like you suggested I pulled 280 on my first or second try but have only done reps since then.

I'll likely test after the holiday and post it in this thread

post-20365-0-57572400-1432340535_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm in. I'll be home in a few days, I'll see what I can do on my FFBC axle. I better knock some rust off first though. I kind of wish my 3" FBBC axle wasn't in PA.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in. I'll be home in a few days, I'll see what I can do on my FFBC axle. I better knock some rust off first though. I kind of wish my 3" FBBC axle wasn't in PA.

I managed 300, a few days later I got 340 about 6" off the floor, haha.

I managed 300, a few days later I got 340 about 6" off the floor, haha.

Good job man! 320 to lockout soon?
  • Like 1

I did axle over the weekend but didn't beat 280.

Grip training hasn't been going my way lately but I think the winds of change might be blowing in...at least I'm hoping so lol...

I'm feeling a PR axle session today.

Will report back after grippers and axle.

Thanks Yori, and go kill it! I'll be pulling Friday so I'll go for it. My FBBC bar is smooth and the axle the gym here has a little bit of knurling [might be a really old IM axle] so I think 320 should be a go. I'll record for posterity.

Did you know? The original Appollon wheels had the same OD as a pipe axle.

What means "OD" ?

Did you know? The original Appollon wheels had the same OD as a pipe axle.

What means "OD" ?

outer diameter i believe.

Grip training hasn't been going my way lately but I think the winds of change might be blowing in...at least I'm hoping so lol...

I noticed that all my grip progress went to hell after I passed the L drill rod level with bending. Are you still doing a lot of bending Frank?

I noticed that all my grip progress went to hell after I passed the L drill rod level with bending. Are you still doing a lot of bending Frank?

Anthony,

Honestly, since I started dedicated bending just about all my grip numbers have gone to crap.

My grippers have dropped dramatically and haven't recovered. I went from occasionally closing a 144 to now usually missing a 122!

My 2hp has dropped at least 20 lbs possibly 30 lbs (I'm afraid to test my max!). The only thing that hasn't really suffered is my axle, but it hasn't gone up either.

To answer your question about bending...no, I'm taking some time off leading up to the Backyard Bastard Bash next month to try to recover some of my gripping ability so I don't look silly at the contest lol. I'm not worried about the bending portion, I can kill a big bastard with zero warm-up sometimes a huge if I feel good. So I'm thinking a month off isn't going to set me back too awful much...at least I don't think

On a side note:

I ran through the events for nationals a few weeks ago at Andrew P's and all my lifts were actually a good 10% less than my first contest ever! I directly attribute it to the bending...it's the only thing that has changed in my routine.