The Great Axle Race To 3 Benjamins

Electron

Was doing squats today and decided to do somr axle between sets. Worked up to a very easy 255, then decided to try for a 280 PR. Got it to just below knees.

You know the saying Carl, once you get air it's just a matter of time!

Great job bro!!

• Like 1

I like that you guys are doing this a lot! This type of thing is very motivating especially when you have training buddies in other states. I'm doing a similar race with some guys I've trained and competed with across the country. Most of us are racing to 350 but we have a couple big boys shooting for 420! Best of luck to everyone!

• Like 1

OK guys I'm in on this.

I don't have an axle but I do have Manus Grips. My previous best before today was 230 lbs with the Manus grips 1 week before my last contest which I hit 270 lbs on the axle.

As of this morning my new PR is 245 lbs...for fun I checked the diameter of the Manus Grips on cam and they came out to roughly 2.3 inches.

My Bodyweight this morning was 240 lbs.

Here is the video and good luck to everyone...by the way Yori, great idea!

• Like 3

I received my 50mm axle yesterday so today I'm going to do a workout with it. I reckon I'll get somewhere around 270lbs (122kg-ish), but I have to lower it carefully so might not hit my 'true' max. Will update post with results.

Is there an old man's class?

Richard:

I'm pretty sure you'd put the majority of us younger fellas to shame

• Like 1

Only managed 275. My grip may have gone for another 10lbs, but my back wasn't willing. Going through physio for it at the moment anyway, so I'll stick to the lighter weights for now.

• Like 1

Is there an old man's class?

I agree with Anthony.

What are you lifting on the axle, and what was your all time record?

I saw that you're still deadlifting 500+!

What are your guys bests on a regular doh deadlift vs axle numbers? I'm wondering what I'll get on the manus grips when they arrive.

What are your guys bests on a regular doh deadlift vs axle numbers? I'm wondering what I'll get on the manus grips when they arrive

I doubt there is a correlation...I don't know what my DO max is on an oly bar but I can deadlift (to the front) 255 lbs with one arm for a full lockout and my axle is fairly weak.

What are your guys bests on a regular doh deadlift vs axle numbers? I'm wondering what I'll get on the manus grips when they arrive

I doubt there is a correlation...I don't know what my DO max is on an oly bar but I can deadlift (to the front) 255 lbs with one arm for a full lockout and my axle is fairly weak.

Yeah not sure if there is our not. I've done 300 on a one arm and never maxed on doh either but always stick with doh to 405 and switch to alt grip at 455. Can do that no chalk. I'm thinking 3 plates is doable on manus grips. Will see. My bar at home is already 32mm so it's thicker than your avg bar.

I have a lengthy discussion on the Axle on the IronMind Forum under the "Grip" section of "Training". The thread is called "Of Axles and Geezers". Not sure why I took the time to go into the level of detail that I do there, but it gives lots of examples of what guys did in early contests, their builds, their other skills, etc. and how it correlated to Axle or not. All over the map is the answer. Even people who are not fans of the IM Forum have told me they have enjoyed reading it. In retrospect, I am not even sure why I made that kind of time commitment to an Internet thread. Some of you will find some interesting reading in it.

My son is an Elite Powerlifter, and the Deadlift is his best event. One of these days I am going to have to see what he can do on the Axle. One thing he does not have is large hands (7 1/2 inches).

Have fun chasing your goals and racing each other to them.

When it comes to Geezers and the Axle, the person who is UNTOUCHABLE is Odd Haugen. Sure is fun watching him, and the audience always goes nuts watching him as well.

Richard, you should go to LA and compete in the Axle at the Fit Expo in 5 or 6 months. The audience would love you.

• Like 3

For what its worth, I hit 300 for the first time AFTER hitting Axle Split Snatches YES these were ugly but the focus was on lifting the Axle with a bunch of speed/force: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783190458374366&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

Right after the Snatches I nailed 300lb on the Axle for the first time: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783195578373854&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

You can train Jefferson Lift with the Axle but I don't think it transfers much. I've done over 500...Mike Sharkey once recommended training Jefferson DO...maybe that would transfer better. Here's 535 in a meet last year: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=755294367830642&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

• Like 1

For what its worth, I hit 300 for the first time AFTER hitting Axle Split Snatches YES these were ugly but the focus was on lifting the Axle with a bunch of speed/force: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783190458374366&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

Right after the Snatches I nailed 300lb on the Axle for the first time: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783195578373854&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

You can train Jefferson Lift with the Axle but I don't think it transfers much. I've done over 500...Mike Sharkey once recommended training Jefferson DO...maybe that would transfer better. Here's 535 in a meet last year: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=755294367830642&set=o.215255511931501&type=3&theater

Good job man, saw all your videos. Great job on the 300# axle. You're our first graduate!

The Jefferson I was referencing to Matt Cannon is double overhand. He mentioned somewhere that Jefferson stance doesn't aggravate his injured back much.

Manus Grips

Old PR : 245

New PR: 255

After watching the video I noticed some slight but possible ramping before the lockout. However i'm still happy with this lift...check it out!

Manus Grips

Old PR : 245

New PR: 255

After watching the video I noticed some slight but possible ramping before the lockout. However i'm still happy with this lift...check it out!

Great job, Frank.

I know your right hand was slipping quite a bit before and during lockout, but that was a longer hold at the top anyways.

I am curious if you ever pull with a sumo stance, it makes the lockout quite a bit stronger.

If you pull hard and quickly with sumo, I would not be surprised at all if you bump this up to 280 in two sessions.

I am curious if you ever pull with a sumo stance, it makes the lockout quite a bit stronger. If you pull hard and quickly with sumo, I would not be surprised at all if you bump this up to 280 in two sessions.

I don't generally deadlift with a Sumo stance. In fact, the weights I can handle in a Sumo stance are about 50 to 75 pounds less than conventional for the same rep ranges.

However, I'm certainly willing to try to do my axle pulls in a different stance if it will increase my numbers. If the change yields an increase of 20 or 30 lbs it will still be well within my sumo abilities.

I will try a few sets like that during my next warm-up and if it feels natural I'll try building it up from there.

Thanks for the advice...every little bit helps!

Decided that I've had enough of a deload for DL, and I will abstain on pulling axle until I get my deadlift strength past 300.

Already put my foot down that I'll be bulking the next two months for KK.

With the higher frequency and caloric surplus my body will be very close to 300 I hope.

• Like 1

With the higher frequency and caloric surplus my body will be very close to 300 I hope.

Shooting for 300# bodyweight? Lofty goal! :tongue

• Like 1

Shooting for 300# bodyweight? Lofty goal! :tongue

I'd have to eat a few members on this board to get there. Lol

Got 272 on video today, twice! but I can't quite figure out how to upload the first pull yet, but hears the second attempt.

Sorry for the quality...

• Like 4