Backyard Pullup Bar

steve0

I have some extra 1 1/4" black pipe and fittings in the basement. I'm planning on using them to make a rig in the back yard. I was planning on cementing 4' of the two 12' sections into the ground as bases. They would be connected at the top with elbows and a 5' section if pipe. If this makes sense the bar will be an inverted U. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a set up like this? Worried about if it would be sturdy enough.

a buddy of mine has this exact setup. as long as you go deep enough with the poles its plenty sturdy. enjoy !

a buddy of mine has this exact setup. as long as you go deep enough with the poles its plenty sturdy. enjoy !

Thanks, is there any flex in the uprights?

• 5 years later...
On 7/28/2014 at 10:35 PM, steve0 said:

Thanks, is there any flex in the uprights?

I have done this with galvanized pipe and it worked fine. No give in the bar.

The key is setting the uprights deep into the ground prior to cementing them. 

Should be fine, even a little overkill. Just make sure the posts go deep enough and cement as already stated, and you don't actually need to mix the cement for small underground applications you can just pour the powder in and fill with soil, moisture from the ground will cure it on its own.