Armwrestling Noob Questions

figty

Hi, I'm new to arm wrestling and also to this board turned 20 today and I'm quite skinny, but I'm going to start lifting soon on the Starting Strength program. I have a few questions that id be really happy if someone knowledgeable would answer. ATM I'm AW'ing friends, but I would like to get serious when possible. But for now I would really like to dominate in bar matches and the like.

1: I've read about the exercises an AW'er needs, like wrist curls, towwell pull ups, grippers, rotations, lever lifts, isometric holds of sorts. I want to do all of them, but how many do I really need? (Also consider that I lift weights, although SS has no direct arm work).

2. I was thinking of buying one of those iron mind 6 lb levers or their heavy handle dumbbell (cant link). Is this worth it, and should i get 1 / both?

3. How does AW specific training even fit into a 3 day/week training program? Is it possible?

Learning how to pull is the very first step, try to find a group or person that is experienced.

In all honesty if all you want to do is dominate a bar match on a stool then you just need to learn how to top roll effectively. That will win a match almost every time if you're going up against someone without any experience.

I would stay away from arm wrestling specific exercises that include any type of side pressure. Mainly just work your hand and wrist and do lots of hammer curls. How many reps and sets depends on the person, so all answers will be different.

Can't go wrong with static holding as much weight as you can for as long as you can in the hammer position.. I've never been good at explaining on the internet, maybe mike hann will see this and give you in depth detail of what you need to do.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Mike, you said I should stay away from exercises that build side pressure. Does this mean I should avoid getting the heavy handle dumbbell? And what about that lever for wrist strength? It looks really good to me, but what do you think?

Im still a bit unsure as to how many exercises i should be doing. Currently I'm doing towel pull ups and grippers. I'll def be doing hammer curls soon. But what about the other stuff like finger walks, wrist rotations, wrist curls etc? i know technique is important, but where i live in Denmark its pretty much impossoble to find any 'real' pullers.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Mike, you said I should stay away from exercises that build side pressure. Does this mean I should avoid getting the heavy handle dumbbell? And what about that lever for wrist strength? It looks really good to me, but what do you think?

Im still a bit unsure as to how many exercises i should be doing. Currently I'm doing towel pull ups and grippers. I'll def be doing hammer curls soon. But what about the other stuff like finger walks, wrist rotations, wrist curls etc? i know technique is important, but where i live in Denmark its pretty much impossoble to find any 'real' pullers.

YOu will find some ideas of how to train with weights and bands on this channel, but thats basically only for people who have no training partners. But its a good foundation to build up strength.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Igor8649/playlists

You should check out the videos on youtube of devon larratt, he is very great at explaining technique.....

But then, the only way to get really better is to actually armwrestle with people who know how to do it, otherwise you will end up hurt! The feeling and movements take a good while to master and its a road full of pain. I can only advice you to go slow, or your arms will be trashed. Armwrestling injuries can take months to heal, sometimes years. Be careful.

And in a bar, all the backpressure you build by doing hammer curls might not help you, if you opponent doesnt keep his arm on his side and follows you over the table. I dont advice bar armwrestling. You better have a strong hand to shut down his arm and control his hand. But then, without table time and no knowlwdge its hard to do...By the way, squeezing heavy grippers will not really help you. Squeezing the opponents hand is often just a disadvantage...food for thoughts...

• Like 1

By side pressure I'm meant more like don't get a pulley, strap it to the the table and put a bunch of weight on it.. You'll just get injured, and quick. Same goes for pulling heavy resistance on tubes, start real light if at all. IMO that type of training comes later..

I looked up the dumb bells you're referring to, if it's the same thing those are great, perfect for training rotation and wrist.

Being able to squeeze heavy grippers will help you, without a doubt., squeezing the dog shit out of someone's hand before a match won't, like dude said above that's when your wrist is at it's weakest..

But yeah just learning how to top roll and applying the correct kind of back pressure will win you 99% of your fights at the bar..

Keep in mind I'm not acting like I know my shit totally, my information is just standard stuff that people learn throughout a few years of pulling.

Okay. I will def try to better my top rolling technique.

My only concern now is whether I should buy that lever. It seems that I can't get the heavy handle dumbbell cus I don't live in the us. Could anyone take a look and tell me if its worth the money? Its called heavy hammer ii leverage bar.

Thanks so much for the help.

Okay. I will def try to better my top rolling technique.

My only concern now is whether I should buy that lever. It seems that I can't get the heavy handle dumbbell cus I don't live in the us. Could anyone take a look and tell me if its worth the money? Its called heavy hammer ii leverage bar.

Thanks so much for the help.

i dont think you should waste your money on some levers. Check out the youtube link that i send you. There are enough excercises that are helpfull.