Cannon | Level 2 Log

Cannon

Forgot that I worked out on Saturday. Once a week feels good right now.

Highlight was some good, solid right-hand closes with a 145# GM.

I'll probably set a T-Rex to 150 and work on that next weekend.

• 8 months later...

I am motivated to log all my workouts again for a while, not just grip. So I will revitalize this log!

Here is what I'm interested in right now:

• Running. Slowly building mileage and would like to run a fast 5K. Rex inspired me, although I don't think I'm going to go sub-20 min. 7:30 miles would be a PR for me so maybe I'll shoot for <23 min.
  • Grippers. I would still like to make a run for the MM2 and also work on my block set in general. Grippers are probably sitting around 148 right now.
  • Push ups and pull ups. These consistently feel good and I like doing them.
  • Pinch. It's been quite a while since I trained pinch lifts seriously. I have a sweet idea to convert my TTK into a 2HP trainer with adjustable resistence.

Also, in general, I'm trying to work my way down to 155 body weight. Need to lose about 8lbs to get there. Should be too hard and keeping my diet in check is the hardest part.

A stretch goal is to hit a 2016 grip contest or possibly host the first CPW-sponsored contest.

• Like 3

Nice goals, Matt! I'm sure you'll hit them. The running goal is good too. I only went sub-20 minutes in the 5K once. And that was kind of by "accident." Back in late 1999 and early 2000, I was running an average of 15 miles per week. But in late January of 2000, I got some information (that was very flawed, it turned out!) that the physical fitness test I was going to have to pass in May of 2000 for the jail job consisted of a brutal run test. So - long story short - I increased my run distances and total miles per week to an average of about 40 miles by early May. That is too fast of an increase in mileage, which is what most running trainers will tell you. I managed to stay healthy and injury-free though, partly because I was 25 years old and had great recovery still. And I dropped to 145lbs (150lbs was my normal weight back then anyway), so there wasn't much strain on my joints.

The really funny thing is that the guy who gave me the "inside scoop" on the physical fitness test was absolutely clueless on what the test was going to be. Running was only a small part of the test. It was heavily weighted toward strength performances on machines. Which I also did very well at, but I still chuckle when I think about how off his info was...

That's a great story Ben! It's hard to go <20 on purpose, let alone "by accident"!

Ran 2mi

4 x 10 chins

4 x 10 push ups

Weight was 164 so I guess I have ~9# to move

if there is a CPW comp in 2016 I'll be selling plasma to make it.

• Like 2

Extensors and pony clamp thumbs on my commute.

if there is a CPW comp in 2016 I'll be selling plasma to make it.

There's no question. We'll host one eventually, just not sure what year.

I work with a guy who's 22. after work he runs 5 miles to rugby practice. jerk.

• Like 2

I work with a guy who's 22. after work he runs 5 miles to rugby practice. jerk.

Damn kids.

Chins and push ups

4 x 10 reps

4 sets of 8 dumbbell curls, 30#

Mixed with 4 sets of 10 row machine, 90#

reverse bar curl, 3 x 10, 50#

tricep rope pull down, 1 x 10, I actually forgot to do more sets of this.

Drank too much water during this workout. :sick:

Messed around with a bunch of grippers while rating. Closes ranging from 85 to 133. Probably 8 grippers and 15 total closes.

Repped a mess of reps with a Baraban adjustable. I like that thing. I think we're going to sell them.

• Like 1

Had some time off this weekend up in Nortern Minnesota and now back at it today.

4 miles with minimal walking.. 9:30 to 10:00 pace overall

Did a circut-style upper body workout with some dudes at work. I don't remember all the weights and reps but was basically 3 rounds of:

one arm flat bench dumbbell

reverse curls

lat pull down

one arm row

Was a good upper-body workout. I'm sore today and the 1 arm bench especially gave some nice torsion in the core.

Man, *ahem*..... nothing like accidently taking a week off :trout

I have a couple things in the works. I really REALLY want to make a run for the IM cert "before it's too late." Training grippers isn't getting any easier as the years go on. I'd ballpark my CCS strength around 130 right now so I've got work to do. I've never been good with CCS.

Then, I've had an idea to turn my TTK into a spring powered 2HP trainer and I finally bought some parts for that. Will post pictures when it's done. I think this dynamic pinch training will actually help with the CCS stuff because given my hand size and geometry.. I'm basically pinching the gripper shut to get it started.

• Like 3

Grippers

RB Adj warm up, Levels 3 and 4

#1.5, CCS start

10, 10, 10

RB Adj drop set, Level 4 Level 3

3 reps 7 reps

4 reps 8 reps

Not a totally awesome workout, but the first one back into something. Trying to figure out what levels I need to be at. I'm really squarely between the #1.5 and #2 and will either bounce to the #2 soon or maybe file a #1.5.

RB Adj warm up, Level 1

#1.5, CCS start

10, 10, 10

#2 CCS singles x 6

Focus on speed and killing it.

Warm up

#1.5 x5, 2 sets

#2 CCS, killed it

#2, CCS start

5, 5, 5

#2.5 MMS singles

X5

#1.5 CCS start

10, 10, 10

Gripper work is looking solid, Matt!

I went for a CCS close on one of those #2.5 singles and it was super close. I think fresh and rested I would get that.

• Like 1

I went for a CCS close on one of those #2.5 singles and it was super close. I think fresh and rested I would get that.

Very nice! What is your all-time CCS PR?

Very nice! What is your all-time CCS PR?

Probably some #2.5 where I didn't know the rating. I want to make a serious run at an IM cert before it's just not possible. :)

• Like 1

#1.5 warm up

#2 CCS x 2

#2.5 CCS attempts

X3, two were closed.

Gripper rates at 135