Cannon | Level 2 Log

Cannon

HG150 x20

#2 x12

145 GM xMiss, xMiss

SM x1

Hybrid SM x3, x2

Really a bad workout overall.

Crush wasn't where I wanted again. I think I'm not recovering well due to things like rating a bajillion grippers. I think I will push the next workout to next Monday and see of this is true.

Ive also found that working the hub brings extensor strength up

I have found something similar. Thinner pinch is a contraspecific to grippers.

• Like 1

Ive also found that working the hub brings extensor strength up

I have found something similar. Thinner pinch is a contraspecific to grippers.

yes sir, i've been slacking on the thin pinch.. it was my best friend early on since Kody started preaching it to me... stopped doing it, and now my pinch is down a bit recently.. it is a really important element to train!

So let me ask you this: When I pinch in the 48-56mm range I get a HUGE "rebound" from my extensors when I let the weight go. It actually hurts. If those widths hit the extensors like that, does that possibly indicate it is "thin" for me?

I don't get it on wider pinch blocks. I've had good results pinching at 64mm, just more skin tears is all. I wonder if I should go back to that.

I do extensor bands in my car a lot and never mention it in a workout context. But I have not been doing them lately.

As far as I've gathered from hearsay abs experience:

Matt. 64 is a bit too wide for you. 56 is too thin for you. 58-62 would probably be perfect. Some of those are nonstandard widths but are legal.

Tommy, hub is hub. Besides for using part of your thumb, it can only be called "pinch-like" at best.

I dig it. Shallman seems to tilt forward with hub, and it's something I'm starting to do. Wonder if it still hits extensors?

On a side note, Is hub considered thin pinch?..

I think so. They frequently test well at the same time too. The smaller Sorinex hub taxes my thumb more than the wider IM.

Shallman seems to tilt forward with hub

I noticed this too. It's like tilting a blob to the stronger finger side. You can't do this with a 45# plate though and Eric mentioned this wasn't really allowed when he went over the rules at the NY Throwdown.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Mike, you're a good hubber. What do you pull on the two different his mentioned, and which do you like better for training?

The IM Hub is way more productive. I just use the Sorinex for a little variety once in a while. Daniel has a definitive tutorial on hubbing on his youtube channel. I actually followed something he did and made an insert for the IM hub that reduces the amount of surface area by half (I used 5 slices of cardboard, he actually made one out of wood). My best IM hub is 60# at the recent comp, on the Sorinex maybe 50# on a good day, but I think I recently figured out a finger position that will allow me more on it. I train mostly holds.

Like Tommy said, I think hub helps grippers. Adam Glass & Acorn are both great hubbers.

As far as I've gathered from hearsay abs experience:

Matt. 64 is a bit too wide for you. 56 is too thin for you. 58-62 would probably be perfect. Some of those are nonstandard widths but are legal.

Tommy, hub is hub. Besides for using part of your thumb, it can only be called "pinch-like" at best.

That's an interesting insight. For some reason I never experimented much with widths 58-62. I looked at some old notes and can see that I beat every width to death between 46 and 64. EXCEPT 58-62. I have no recollection about why I didn't work with those widths. I was even systematically trying to find the best width for me. I wish I could remember because the absence of those widths in my logs is apparent. I wonder if I simply could not make those widths for some reason..?

Thanks for the video tommy. This is all very interesting. Hub as a way to work extensors, I love it.

I am a decent Hubber and only abandoned it when I set a bulk of the grip lifts aside to deal with my back. I hubbed a Hampton 45 the first time I ever tried, prior to ever training hubs. The most I've lifted on the IM Hub in competition was 55# and I think I still have some WR on Horne's Hub at 47#. I have never really trained Hub holds so might have to try that.

No apology necessary Tommy! This type of discussion is the main purpose of the GB!!!

• Like 1

Matt, with the standard inserts, 58 should be possible but 60 and 62 aren't. You need extras for that.

Some promoters will have access to additional inserts, and will let you pinch where you see fit. I would think you're probably right on the dot with 62mm.

I always felt that hubs should help other things because the pulleys in the fingers are unsupported and stressed more. as opposed to the way they sit on a block during a block lift. could be wrong.

i have been doing pony clamp work and found that it really hit my extensors. IF! i kept my elbow straight. i would feel it right where i get lateral inflammation. it would clear up after a couple sets and over time has cleared up completely. I'm also having a very good run on axle and 2hp right now. maybe it's helping with strength, maybe my elbows just feel better so that's it.

as far as tommy's video, tilt, tech, and extensors. I've been trying to find lifts that are bad for me and figure out why. best examples are thin pinch and pony clamps. if thin pinch is ever in a medley i miss it even though my 2hp is good. pony clamps are super hard for me. with help from my training partner josh and my wife(who was closing a pony clamp i could not) i pieced it together. I am lifting those lifts in a very strict form. when i do the thin 2hp i use no wrist at all. all thumb. so, if i use my optimum 2hp tech i can lift a much bigger weight. so, what i've realized is that those lifts give me good training effect but poor numbers.

what I'm getting at is that tommy's strict hub lift hits extensors and works the hand in X fashion. while the tilt might allow more weight you will lose those side effects. so the question is, why are you training X event?? are you doing it to lift as much weight as possible or, is it for another reason? for me, on the thin pinch, i have gone back to the super strict form because i feel it helps my 2hp the most even though the weights are much lighter than what i could do if i wanted to max out.

does that make sense?

• Like 1

Thanks for all this valuable content Bros!

Forgot that I did a pinch workout Saturday.

Wooden pinch block (one hand)

Worked my way up to about 70 lbs and back down. Mostly lifts with holds.

IM Hub

Worked up to 50 lbs and back down. At the lighter weights I concentrated on level holds like Tommy talked about.

Still a little sore from Sat pinching.

Hg150 x10

#2 x6

SM x1

T-Rex @141, miss, miss

#2 x10, huge OC on last rep

#1 x50

#2 x 1 epically massive and insane OC

Had more vodka than success. Crush is still not there. Everything feels just fine and I think having the first pinch workout in a long time affected this work out. No problem there really, I'm just trying to log workouts and get stronger. Repped out and called it a night.

I did a grip workout yesterday and it's still the same thing. Max crush is WAY off but everything feels good and endurance is good.

This time I believe it was because I was doing deadlifts for the first time in a while with Iron Bull 2.0 on there. Oh well. It almost certainly sabotaged the gripper workout, but I was happy to be deadlifting.

I also did 4 sets of 15 chins, which felt light as a feather even though I'm as heavy as I've been in a long time. The heavier lifting I've been able to do in the past 1+ month is already making a huge difference in my overall strength. It just feels good to work out and I can actually do good hard work and not be paralyzed the next day. Recently I have been doing chins with +30lbs and that is why BW felt light as a feather.

The actual gripper numbers are not important. It was mostly a reps workout.

I also did some swinging around on the squat cage like monkey bars. Huge forearm pump.

• 1 month later...

Okay, *ahem* little unintentional break there!

Excuses, sickness, blah blah blah.

I will start posting again.

• Like 1

Good to are you back. Luckily the last thing you posted about was one hand elite, so I knew you'd be back to chase it soon.

I did some math, and 66k elite looks very difficult to me.

Gripper-125# in the 59k, maybe 135-140# in the 66k by end of year

1HP-85#

1HAX-160#

Total has to be 380#. Dayum!

Did a bunch of attempts and a few closes around 140 tonight.

Those would be solid lifts. I think I would have to get more out of the gripper to pad the axle.

Did a bunch today and was surprised how good it felt.

Grippers up to #3 x 5 good overcrushes

Towel pull-ups, 4 sets, 10 reps

Climber finger curl things, 2 sets, 90#, to failure

Farmers walks, 2 laps, 45 dumbbells with fat-ish grips

Two hand dumbbell pinch, 75x3, 85x2, 95x4, all lifts are singles

Light grippers to finish

Probably forgot something, but it was a good workout.

• Like 1

Very nice man. What are you weighing nowadays? Are you going to be competing in the oversized gorilla comp this year?

I'm about 160-165 right now. I don't have any plans for King Kong. I don't think there is a local leg anyway.

I'm about 160-165 right now. I don't have any plans for King Kong. I don't think there is a local leg anyway.

Damn, you bulked up. That procedure must've done wonders for you. Good stuff man

Damn, you bulked up. That procedure must've done wonders for you. Good stuff man

Yeah, most days right now I'm pain free. It's great.

I'm actually trying to cut some body fat again. Ideally I'd like to be around 155.

My forearms are deep sore after that last workout. Feels good.

• Like 1