140 #3

Cannon

I have to agree with Jon on this one, guys. I have a 143 rated 3 that I got to train with and also because of the exclusivity of an easy three, but even when I do close it, I will not submit that video for mm0. Only when I can close my 147 or 152 3 will I submit. I know a 3 is a 3 but I'd rather not be the guy that got on the ladder with an easier gripper than the overwhelming majority.

I don't disagree with you, but MM0 isn't really a cert, its just the opportunity to start climbing the ladder. I think when I am closing my 144 I will probably submit that. When I close my 151 regularly its time for the MM1 anyway.

Also a good point. I think we can both agree that avidly searching for an "easy 3" to get mm0 on isn't the way to go. If one places an order and randomly gets an easier 3, then that's that. But if you can already close a 140 gripper, don't spend the time looking for a 140 3, spend the time getting stronger for a harder gripper.

All this said, as a gripper collector, damn i wouldve loved to scoop up that 140 for my collection. Who the hell is online at 9pm on a friday anyway :mad

this

500 for a gripper?? Why? Is it because its such as easy 3?? I can understand needing it to bridge gaps in training but nobody should brag about the 137 COC3 they closed (to me it's cheating the feat). I hope this isn't the trend for MM0 cuz that dilutes the cert, not that I care personally. But I know some have worked very hard and certed on tough 3s... Just saying

These are guys that only wanted the #3 for their collection, Jon. I don't think this is a trend for MM0, partly because it's hard to find a #3 under 140lbs. Back when I was RGC rating hundreds of grippers, I actually rated one #3 that was easier and one #3 that tied the 137lb rating.

It wouldn't bother me if someone used a super easy #3 for the MM0 cert. You don't get "credit" for MM0 certing on a 160lb #3 vs. a 140lb #3. There is "bragging rights," but to me it's all about progression. If you MM0 cert on a 140lb #3, the step to MM1 is going to be a pretty big jump. So get another #3 and train your way up to it.

I would only think it was close to "cheating" if someone claimed the gripper was much harder than what it actually was. Most grip guys openly state what their grippers rate if they have RGC rated grippers.

You're definitely right about "bragging" about closing the 137lb #3. But some very proud guys have counted it as their first #3 close. And then gone on to close harder and harder #3s (and well beyond, for a few of them). My 137lb #3 has never been used as a MM0 gripper (or COC cert gripper) by anyone. Jon, I don't think you were "accusing" me of using the super easy #3 for my (or loaning it to others) MM0 cert, but just for full disclosure, I threw that out there about it never being used for any cert.

I can understand (to some degree) the guys that get a bit upset when "easy" #3s are discussed. I think they take it as some kind of personal affront to the "spirit of the feat" - and to those guys I'd say they can go the opposite route. Find the hardest #3 in existence and use that as their MM0.

Easy #3s are not evil. :grin: They're just tools to get to the next level. I will always be thankful for the 137lb #3 because I used it to work my way up the TNS ladder to much harder grippers. I could've used any gripper with that rating, but it was admittedly a nice mental "boost" to use an actual #3. The #3 I used before the 137lb #3 was an extendable-handled modified #3 that Tmmicklabs (my buddy Travis Mickelberry) loaned to me for a while. My guesstimate is that it felt like a 120lb gripper in the easiest setting and was mid-140lbs in its unmodified state.

MM1 is still the same for everybody

Amen to that. :grin:

i can see the collector-worthiness... i agree on that, i don't have that kinda money lol... however, if the market thinks a 137 #3 is worth $500 then so be it. I was just saying that mad scrambles to get MM0 with a <140 #3 will turn the process into a race to the bottom. The MM1 does even this out as Sharkey pointed out... still

i DO applaud Mr. Cannon for his fine adherence to ethical business practices; selling such a sought after gripper for the said price even though many would have paid much higher. I hope whoever bought it won't turn around and flip it here or anywhere for 5x the money. That would be a sad day for the Gripboard and the sponsors

anyway enough of my 2 cents

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

I bought my #3s long before the whole RGC thing existed - we all knew some were easier but had no idea "how" easy or hard they were. And we closed (or didn't) what we had for our MMO certs. Most of us didn't know what we closed - and really didn't and don't care other than it said 3 on the handle. Nowhere have I seen an RGC rated gripper cert of any kind - if that is important to you fine, but that doesn't mean it's going to be to the next guy. Being able to find (let alone buy) rated grippers is a luxury that is only a pretty recent possibility.

• Like 1

I say submit whatever #3 you want for MM0 bc there may be someone that did it on an unrated gripper that may be in the 137-142 range and never know the difference. Honestly i used a 139 #3 for MM0 bc at the time that is all i could close and I was able to close 160# at NAGS. And if someone brags because the closed a #3...who cares...it may not be your way of doing it but dont try to take anything against them bc there are many ppl that can't close any #3!

• Like 1

Some really good insights here guys.

Light grippers have their place, and I've always felt that ANYTHING GOES IN TRAINING. Closing any un-tampered #3 is a #3 close in my opinion. Does it mean you're ready for the MM1..? Maybe not. But it can keep the burning engine of desire going where it would have stalled otherwise.

I did my MM0 on Ben's #3. It was my first of probably 100+ different #3s I have closed now. Having struggled for about a year to close my Super Master, it definitely opened my mind about what was possible. I felt that I was a #3 closer and it stripped off the mystique. That mental barrier was an important one for me to break. Not to see someone else prove it was possible, but that I proved it was possible for me. There was a distinct lack of 155 pound dudes closing #3s. A door-opener #3 was like a gateway drug for me. I dedicated the next three years of my life to training for the MM1. I built myself on that initial spark of confidence.

• Like 3