Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

So i had a minute to look over the numbers in my axle programming... first day i did a straight up five rep scheme with no thumbless triples was 9 Nov. Bodyweight was 185.7 and pulled 310 for five. Fast forward today, with my bodyweight fluctuating but barely changing at 187, i was able to pull 345 for 5. So 36 days and a 35 pound increase in my five rep axle weight. Also, the weight to bodyweight ratio went from 1.67 to 1.84 for five reps. Hopefully, at the pace i'm going, i can be pulling 2x bodyweight for five and open up at least at that weight by June. Fingers crossed, VERY pleased with this progress though!

• Like 3

So 36 days and a 35 pound increase in my five rep axle weight

Insane! Good work Jon.

I'll be very happy if I can get that much progress by the end of next year. :turn

So 36 days and a 35 pound increase in my five rep axle weight

Insane! Good work Jon.

I'll be very happy if I can get that much progress by the end of next year. :turn

• Like 2

Thanks, it's looking like I'm going to finally achieve some of the goals I set out for by using this programming. It's mainly been a conglomerate of trial and error, training principles, and ideas and discoveries from others. The main ingredients of this program are:

1. progressive challenge;1-2% increase in weight or 20% increase in work volume if weight is unchanged.

2. Overcompensated rest, for my body I can train grip 5 times a week and make decent progress, but I've cut it down to 2 moderate/intense sessions a week w/ more active recovery between.

3. Variety of assistance work, use of dynamic eccentric work, and stick to the plan!!

Chris Rice and Andrew Durniat coined those two above terms... Once put into work it makes sense how these simple principles Work.

• Like 3

Yesterday

BW 186.4

DOT 2" axle power shrugs to 275#, 2x8, then DO at 285#, 1x15

3x5 inch trainer rows @ 130#

Wrist curls axle 2x5 @ 165#

Various plate curls, 25/35s

2" DB rows @ 126#, 2x12

Low energy workout, didn't get my target 10 reps on the DOT power shrugs, struggled to 8 but was strong on the DO.

• Like 1

Light training today - felt like crap and tired so shut down early, pushing back my axle day to Sunday and will just relax tomorrow

Pinch swings w/ 40# tractor weights 2x10

2" db rows 1x15 @ 107# each hand

3" Saxonbell pinch rows, 2x5 @ 55#

Messed w/ sledge work for a while and then called it a day, hands just didn't feel like doing anything

BW 187

Ended up being a miserable day on axle, worked up to 350 for singles - wanted to get five reps but CNS wasn't in it today.

Backed down to 327# for 7, then 285# p shrugs for 12... Gonna go back to my schedule two reeks ago that led to last weeks success

Didn't do much else, plate curls were easy tho, did 35#s for 5 strong reps

Looks like this week will be focused back on thumbless and p shrug, perhaps heavy rack pulls.. Mentally, it's a must that I bounce back from this shitty workout

BW 187

Ended up being a miserable day on axle, worked up to 350 for singles - wanted to get five reps but CNS wasn't in it today.

Backed down to 327# for 7, then 285# p shrugs for 12... Gonna go back to my schedule two reeks ago that led to last weeks success

Looks like this week will be focused back on thumbless and p shrug, perhaps heavy rack pulls.. Mentally, it's a must that I bounce back from this shitty workout

I hate when these workouts happen.

I really do..

They can destroy my momentum mentally at times.

Especially if they come more than one in a row.

• Like 1

BW 187

I hate when these workouts happen.

I really do..

They can destroy my momentum mentally at times.

Especially if they come more than one in a row.

I know dude, I have to totally regroup and manage expectations. I got to stick to the game plan. Last week I got ahead of myself so as a result I tried to start higher than where I needed to be...

• Like 1

Regroup workout after heavy squats

2hp, 163# 5x5 no regrip just down back up

IM LBH, to 160# 5x5 alt. hands so total combined vol. 5x10

Several singles w/ fat 35s pinch after taps, so basically ten taps then a full rep

1hp euro, 83# holds, ten seconds left/20 right

Ext bucket - singles to 25#

Dexterity shots 8#, 4x20 rotations switching hands continuously

Decent day after a bad one yesterday, pinching felt strong so I'm gonna start programming a 5x5 weekly schedule, slowly increasing weight

• Like 1

looks like you had a really good work out therekeep up the good work

• Like 2

BW 186

2" axle p shrugs, 2x10 @ 275# thumbless overhand

Thigh supported wrist curls 2.5" axle, 2x3 @ 260#

Rt wrist curls, 2x5 @ 65#

Wrist wrench curls same weight minus 1-2#

Definitely overdid it on my wrists... Slight but steady pain in my carpal/ulnar area if I stretch the hand back... Maybe I jacked up a nerve, seems like the tendons are not the issue. Thank God for that.

Ill update as necessary... Hopefully this resolves quickly :)

BW 186

Definitely overdid it on my wrists... Slight but steady pain in my carpal/ulnar area if I stretch the hand back... Maybe I jacked up a nerve, seems like the tendons are not the issue. Thank God for that.

Heal up quick man!

• Like 2

BW 186

Heal up quick man!

Thanks bro

I tried some axle rackpull-holds yesterday and I too overdid it.

This morning my left hand hurt in the thick part of my thumb and my palm.

Went out and filled a bucket with snow, poured some cold water into it and filled the sink with hot water.

Contrasting til the snow was gone.

Right after the hand stopped hurting :D no problem since!

Do you use congrats baths?

Edited by PeterSweden

I tried some axle rackpull-holds yesterday and I too overdid it.

This morning my left hand hurt in the thick part of my thumb and my palm.

Went out and filled a bucket with snow, poured some cold water into it and filled the sink with hot water.

Contrasting til the snow was gone.

Right after the hand stopped hurting :D no problem since!

Do you use congrats baths?

yes i've done them before.. have not gotten a chance since this particular issue but i'm planning on doing some today and all throughout Christmas vacation, hopefully this will heal but i'm still not sure what it is... it hurts when i try to squeeze or pinch with an open hand or if i stretch my hand/wrist back

Hope it heals fast dewd!

• Like 1

BW 186

2hp 8x5 @ 168# pinching didn't bother or hurt so did some volume

40# blob taps 3x10 each hand, right hand still feels strong

Leaving thickbar and wrist work alone for a few more weeks as a precaution but my hands felt good today... Still not 100% with ROM but it feels like its healing- whatever it is... Did a few rounds of shot rotations and sledge walks.. 18lbs is a PR... Coulda done 20 perhaps but didn't wanna push it with the slightly gimpy hand

• Like 1

Shotrotations are for strength?

Its nice to hear that your hand isnt badön hurt!