Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

BW 186.6

2" axle DO, warmup to 317#, 3x5 (a bit more challenging than the sets w/ 310 last week but pulled each rep strong)

got a wild hair and did some euro 2hp, triple with 163#, double with 183#, nine second hold with 193#, and a four second hold with 200# (felt surprisingly strong today even w/ a freezing ass garage) would have attempted higher but my thumbs were on the verge of tearing

went back and did 175# for 2x5 axle wrist curls on the pad

8# dex rotations 25/25

rear facing blob curls w/ 40# right/35# left, 25 plate +LBH

random holds with the 40# blob and a couple sets of quick-taps

God damn that's a strong session

today did thickbar assistance

only thumbless overhand axle power shrugs, 3x10 @ 250#, up 2.5lb from last week and also managed 12 reps on last set

129# inch trainer, 3x5 rows bouncing the reps

curl pad strict plate curls, sets of 5 w/ 25 and 25+LBH, and doubles with 35#

1hp KB style swings w/ euro, 3x10 each hand w/ 73#

mini taps w/ 40# blob, 2x15 each hand, then 1x10 each hand w/ 45# blob, then 2 five second holds left/10 seconds right w/ same 45# blob

between sets did a few 8 hammerwalks and attempted front facing sledgewalks with the same hammer, starting to improve the finger strength as i'm walking it up about 8 inches (last week i couldn't do anything with it). Best way to practice this move is with an empty broomstick then add light weight. Goal is to soon do a full front hammerwalk up the entire handle on the 8#. Once I get there I will have a max 2hp day- as i am finding this front walk stresses side pressure in the thumb (2hp specific) and also targets the ring and pinkie fingers as those are the primary movers.

Here is a breakdown of the front fingerwalk:

today's BW was 183.8

worked the vertical grip today - less taxing on the hands than anything else and makes for a decent back to back session

IM Little Big Horn: Worked up w/ singles; had work gloves on to 133#, onward w/ singles to 184#, then did 2 three second holds w/ each hand holding bodyweight. Could've went up but my skin weak point between the middle and ring calluses was about to blister.

With my skin on the fritz i backed down to my empty anvil and did some dynamic work; swings and vertical pronation/supination, w/ the swings added weight 115/125 for sets of 12 KB style swings

sledgewalks also, went heavy (left 13#/right 15.5#) then a endurance circuit (dex ball rotations for 10, extensor bucket holds w/21#, and 10.5# sledgewalks) did the circuit three times

Pretty good workout w/ minimal soreness after thickbar yesterday. Vertical style lifting seems to have much lower impact on my forearm tissue than anything else grip related. With the rainy weather i now know that my down trended friction lifts were definitely due to dryness - as today i was comfortably lifting BW on the big horn. Only issue with training that damn thing is when i'm fully warmed up and starting to get my paces my skin starts tearing up... that thing is quirky as hell, i pretty much have to be fatigued as crap from doing working sets on that thing before i get into high gear on it. Lately the skin isn't cooperating (the night i pulled 209 at Kody's i had done a long warmup and then a marathon set of over 25 reps each hand at 181#... that long set somehow fired up my CNS to PR).. who knows, at least i know i'm still capable of 200+ pull

today's BW was 183.8

worked the vertical grip today - less taxing on the hands than anything else and makes for a decent back to back session

IM Little Big Horn: Worked up w/ singles; had work gloves on to 133#, onward w/ singles to 184#, then did 2 three second holds w/ each hand holding bodyweight. Could've went up but my skin weak point between the middle and ring calluses was about to blister.

With my skin on the fritz i backed down to my empty anvil and did some dynamic work; swings and vertical pronation/supination, w/ the swings added weight 115/125 for sets of 12 KB style swings

sledgewalks also, went heavy (left 13#/right 15.5#) then a endurance circuit (dex ball rotations for 10, extensor bucket holds w/21#, and 10.5# sledgewalks) did the circuit three times

Pretty good workout w/ minimal soreness after thickbar yesterday. Vertical style lifting seems to have much lower impact on my forearm tissue than anything else grip related. With the rainy weather i now know that my down trended friction lifts were definitely due to dryness - as today i was comfortably lifting BW on the big horn. Only issue with training that damn thing is when i'm fully warmed up and starting to get my paces my skin starts tearing up... that thing is quirky as hell, i pretty much have to be fatigued as crap from doing working sets on that thing before i get into high gear on it. Lately the skin isn't cooperating (the night i pulled 209 at Kody's i had done a long warmup and then a marathon set of over 25 reps each hand at 181#... that long set somehow fired up my CNS to PR).. who knows, at least i know i'm still capable of 200+ pull

You need to have more oil in your diet - it will fix your skin up. Fish, Flax, Cod Liver, Grape Seed, Olive Oil, etc. Take a shot of any each day - maybe 2 to start out. It will fix your skin right up - it's an old trick I picked up when carrying mail - healthy, durable skin comes from the inside - not from lotions and potions applied outside. I sort of rotate which I take but I take it regularly, especially come winter time.

• Like 1

did a quick workout on the BMT pullup bars; front/back levers, and typewriter pullups

when i got home did some light pinch swings with the 41# tractor weight, 3x12 each hand on the 2" portion and 2x12 on the 3.5" wide portion, then did 1x5 pinch curls holding the 2" side, and a pinch curl hold for ten seconds each hand

just enough to stimulate the tendons for pinch and get a little forearm pump going... next big grip day will probably be Sunday. I'll either bump the axle to 3x5 at 320 and do fat DB rows...OR i'll leave at 317# but do two extra sets of five

BW 185.1

Today changed gears on axle and did higher reps.

Warm up to 305#, 1x10 DO, down to 285# 1x8 thumbless (maybe gassed from first set?)

2.5" axle DO, 2x2 @ 260 (this bar tires ya out quick)

RT 132 left, 1x12, 157 right, 1x12 (left really needs work on RT and thickbar in general - i think the bicep tweak i had a few months ago has psychologically detuned my CNS to fire more conservatively with that hand)

homemade wrist wrench, wrist curls on preacher pad, 2x5 @ 55#, then standing wrist curls same weight, 2x10

then dexterity shot rotations w/ the 8lbers, 35 rotations left/33 right (HUGE burn and pump from these - up ten reps from last week)

Today was a pretty positive day. My work on the axle is paying off as I am able to pull 305 for a solid ten. The way i am recovering and progressing i should be able to pull 315 for ten next week. RT numbers are down but i suspect that's only because i'm pulling it after smoking my tendons on the axles. Also my hands are quickly getting stronger/more coordinated with the dex shots and i should be able to rotate for 50 much faster than i thought i could originally... had em less then 3 weeks and i've went from 9 reps to 35... the benefits of these carry over to everything else across the board too.. back on the horse

Edited by jvance

BW 185.3

calisthenics; elbow lever flutter kicks 3x10 and L seat to planche progression work

hang snatches with 40# fatgripz DB 2x20 each hand

also did light wide grip stimulus, taps w/ 35# blob by face 3x15 both hands, 40# by face 1x10 each hand, then figure 8 drags w/ 50 next gen and 48.8 fatman; four 24 foot drags

a couple sets of rotation w/ 8# shots; 3x10,10,20

not a grip workout persay; just enough to stimulate further wide grip development

BW: 183.6

2" axle DO thumbless power shrugs 1x10 @ 255#, reg. DO 1x10 @ 275#, then DOT again 1x8 @ 235# (last real slow focused on wrist power)

2.5" axle thumbless rack pulls 1x5 @ 240#

2" DB rows 1x15 each hand @ 107#

2.8" DB rows 1x6 each hand @ 108#

2.5" axle supported wrist curls 3x6 @ 150,150, 160#

1 hand euro alt. hands timehold, empty apparatus 63#... a bit over 2 min hold - thanks Kody for the idea

1hp timehold @ 83# ten seconds each hand

various plate holds and curls with 25# plate and 35/40# blob for tendon conditioning

solid workout - continuing to meet my weekly axle weight increases... Sunday should be on schedule with new increases... Time to heal- active recovery ereyday :sorcerer:

BW 186

Did a bit of grip here and there the past couple days... pretty light stuff nothing notable to report, except i broke my old oly bar doing power cleans - hit 245, maybe a PR - not sure what i used to do w/ the cleans i think 235 :unsure

did some moderate anvil holds on friday.. i think 5 holds for ten seconds w/ 145# on the anvil

today did my 2" pulls, warmed up w/ singles and high pulls to working weight; 3x5 @ 327#, felt very strong, probably could've bumped to 330# and still pull clean reps w/ final rep pause

also did 2.8" DB rows (108#) and inch trainer rows (130#), 1x5 each hand on both

1hp euro alt. hands timehold @ 73#, 38 seconds, approximately 8 seconds til switchovers

fat 2-35 pinch timehold, 8 seconds left, 20 seconds right

supported wrist curls on 2" axle 2x5 @ 185#

• Like 1

You are definitely the "thinking man" of grip Jon! Very interesting training ideas, thanks for sharing. When will you be in front on an Inch again? You appear to be more than ready!

• Like 1

You are definitely the "thinking man" of grip Jon! Very interesting training ideas, thanks for sharing. When will you be in front on an Inch again? You appear to be more than ready!

Thanks Bob, not sure when ill meet the inch, but I plan on being ready!

Today did my 2x10 DOT axle power shrugs, bumped up to 262#, right on schedule

2hp for a bit but stopped after 193#, felt heavy and couldn't find my groove

Messed with blobs and actually went heavy... 50.6# nextgen went up easy for a couple ten second holds, left got good air still no lift.. Felt strong on the 45# fatman for more holds.

Finished with 2" DB rows @ 127#, alternating thumbless and regular sets of ten, r/t/r, both hands

BW 185

2" axle warmup to 320# thumbless, 1x3, then 335# 1x1.5 ( second rep to knees), then rack pulls regular overhand, 3x5 @ 355#

40# blob taps off bench, 2x20 both hands

100mm block holds, ten seconds; 40/45/50#

axle wrist curls @ 185# 1x5

wrist wrench curls all angles, sets of five with 53#

plate curl hold w/ 35#, ten seconds both hands

decent day, the thumbless work really tires out the hands/forearms quickly - would have liked to go heavier on the rack pulls but tendons were already fried

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

axle midweek madness

warmup w/ extensor bucket - 22#, sets of 20 rotations w/ the 8# shots, i think i did 3 rounds each hand and also some dynamic sledgehammer, just beating the rubber floor mid handle 30-40 reps per hand

2" axle power shrugs, thumbless 262# 1x10 (same as last week), then regular overhand 287#, 1x10 (last time 275# two weeks ago, big bump)

2.5" axle DO DL, 233#, 3x5 (gonna start working these in after prefatiguing with the smaller axle shrugs), probably 2.5-5# bumps per week depending on how i feel. The width and rotation of this solid steel bar fatigues the inner forearms very quickly so working volume will carry over to many styles of thickbar (inch, RT, super wide, etc)

empty euro 1hp taps, 63# w/ thumb guards, 5 sets 20 bounces each hand. Really focusing on explosive movement on these, hitting the ground hard and pulling it up fast - probably close to 2 taps a second so moving real fast

40# blob taps 3x10 each hand, same deal - fast

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Nice, Jon!

Thanks man

BW yesterday 184

Did anvil singles old anvil singles loaded to 172#, IM anvil trainer to 180#, five sets of triples

1hp 20 taps, 2 sets w/ 73#

Holds five/ten seconds w/ 83#, two rounds, thumb guards on all pinching cept the last set, only got five seconds left w/ the guards

Above work w/ fat 35s

Finished w/ blob tapping, 40# then the 50#, two sets hand w/ each blob

What do you feel is the value of tapping for blockweights, as they cant be incrementally increased in weight like a Euro and the shape changes with each one?

What do you feel is the value of tapping for blockweights, as they cant be incrementally increased in weight like a Euro and the shape changes with each one?

At this point they are experimental, I've had great success w/ them on 1hp. Generally I stayed w/ 50mm so it was fixed shape/width much like blobs. To me doing taps gives the benefit, at least, of full reps but at less impact to my tendons. So I'm basically getting more volume in. I think they're working, as I went from barely lifting the 50# to being able to hold over 10 seconds, left hand is almost at a full lift as well.

• Like 1

BW 187

2" axle warmup to working weight, DO DL 1x2, 1x5 @ 335#, third set got froggy for some reason and hit 1x5 @ 345# :yikes

then DO DL w/ 2.5" bar 1x5 @ 253#, 1x3 @ 267#

2hp singles 163#-203#, increments of 10#

blob holds ten seconds, left 40/45/45#, right 40/45/50#

1hp 20 taps, three rounds left and right, 83#

plate holds 25 then 35, 5 seconds each hand

wrist wrench wrist curls 63#, three singles each hand

slow start getting warmed up this morning, started around 9:00.. axle felt heavy warming up after i crossed the 300# threshold, didn't think i'd make my target of 335 for 5... first set only got two reps. Then the second one i put on a little heavy music and got more jacked, then easily hit 5 reps. Thought I'd try for a triple at 345#, and after the third rep came up fast i knew i had two more and got it done. Hopefully i'll be able to replicate the progress i made next week :sorcerer:

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

Progress makes a gripster so very happy :D an extra rep, an extra inch, a few more seconds or some extra weight!

Its all about the small things in life man!

Keep it up!