Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Today grippers

left hand to 136 CCS, right hand closed the 3 CCS to get my confidence back

then reps for ten minutes, 145x1, 136 another 10 singles in 10 min., left hand maybe 8? started losing count especially as I focused on heavy squats

backsquats up to 365x3 for two sets

2.5 inch axle now at 260, double overhand rack holds. 1 min... best was 9 seconds

1/2 mile uphill, 3:19 so 21 faster than last time... kept knees high this time - hands relaxed

Tuesday 30/90 sprints, 8 rounds... 1.45 miles covered in 15:05... so slower and shorter than last week. Very rushed through the workout though... had a 55 minute lunch (to change, drive to the track, cool down, shower, and get back

Yesterday BJJ for 30 min, rolled with three 1 min breaks throughout, then grip when I got home:

2.5 inch axle holds, to 290, 3/3/2/2/2/1/1 very heavy

3.5 gripper CCS work, close and hold gripper handle between handles (not quite shutting far enough)… nice little short term goal is to CCS it and hold a silver bullet

Left hand used my 160 #3, got a few good handle holds, two of them reached 6 seconds, the others were less than 5

Today

Curls and planks during lunch break, then stretching

Later in afternoon when I got home

timed snatches up to 141 for 10, finished in 2:59

timed clean and jerk at 191 for 10, finished in 8:02, would've gotten 6:30 but as I fatigued at the end, I missed rep 10 badly out front and it took me a minute to get ready to redo.. so I kinda did 11 reps if 10 had been a good one

mile run after in 6:51... felt awful and I didn't feel like I was moving very fast - kinda surprised at the last two minutes as I must've made up some ground

Today: crossfit "grace" workout... proper clean and jerks (dropped after every rep and regripped) 30 reps at 165 - finished in 11:15

four min break then mile road run in 7:04

• Like 1

kind of a rough workout, didn't sleep great

back squats to 330x10, last couple were iffy on the depth, didn't want to get buried - but wanted to keep repping

grippers did some double tns, got to rep 9 and stopped... wasn't doing all that great.... let me back up tho, finally got a goal I chased about a year ago and stopped. Got L13 CCS on the Vulcan gripper both hands.. may have been why the tns was hell

changed it up to heavy CCS SB holds, 160 left - best hold was seven seconds, right hand got the 184 3.5 and held for four seconds.. this past Thursday I didn't have the sweep strength so I suppose it is a blessing to move up.

Lastly, did my uphill 1/2 mile.. 3:06, major upgrade from last time.. 

Yesterday.... nothin... just 100 pushups and ten stair sprints, 10x10

Today light grappling before I left work....

When I got home, light snatch warmup then Grace, 30 clean and jerks at 185... the first ten reps I didn't think i'd make it - missed jerks on rep 5 and 7.. then slowed down a bit and got a rhythm. First ten in 7:20, 20 in 15, and 30 in 22:15... keep in mind the first ten was really 12 if you count the two misses. Onward and faster I will strive

• Like 1

Yesterday 20 snatches of 135... really wish I remembered the time but I don't. Then mile road run in 6:41

Today clean and jerk 185 for 10 in 4:30, wanted ten more at 195 but missed rep seven at the 6 min mark... I have Defenders Challenge tryouts early this coming week so I didn't want to overdo it

Grippers, CCS 136 right for ten reps in 6:30, 125 left took a min longer to get there

More heavy CCS SB work, trying to crush it down under 16mm on the 184

Front squat to 285 single

Backsquat to 305 for ten... backing off a bit

Thickbar work, 1 min each hand with empty 2.5 inch axle (100lb) thumbless hold for ten seconds at a time so 6 sets

mile road run in 6:52

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working non stop for the majcom Defender Challenge tryout which starts in two weeks. Cut down on much of the heavy lifting and replaced with aerobic and agility training. Today light oly lifting then a .50 uphill road ruck in 4:34.. 50lbs of vest and pack with a 75ft elevation gain.

I also get to shoot every day, amazing!!

Also notable, Thursday did 10 snatches at 135 in 2:25, 10 C&Js at 195 in 4:30 which are both PRs. Two mile road run in 14:24 (not my good shoes)

crappy grip workout... CCS reps left, best was 125 for 4 reps, right hand got six with a 133

2.5 axle min hold, best was 7 seconds average was 5-6... hands just don't feel snappy lately - maybe its all the grueling other stuff I've been doing who knows

• Like 1

Weekly wrap up (now that I have been weightlifting minimally and doing grip once a week)

Monday got destroyed, 3 mile circuit training run, every 100 meters 10 pullups/10 flutters/10 pushups/20 lunges, on the last lap of each passing mile - I completed the lap and exercises with a gas mask (SUCKED!!!)

Tuesday tore up a bit from Monday but still ran 3 miles and then did technique work on the obstacle course

Wednesday really caught the DOMS from Monday, especially in the upper forearms and biceps... so much so that I couldn't straighten my arms, pouring milk in my cereal was torture.... I guess 120 pullups will do that, 30 while oxygen starved

Thursday took it slow, Friday a good 3 miler... all 5 days shooting steel at the range in the near 100 degree heat in full assault gear

This morning got some squat doubles from 255, 285, 315, 335, and 355, a set of good mornings with 135 and gripper double TNS of my GHP 5 left and COC 2.5 right, ten reps in 3:50... tough and not as snappy as recent past... but felt good to log a complete set of ten... messed around with a 40lb blob nothing serious

Yesterday, ran a PB for the older more muscular version of myself in the mile run. Ran a 5:48, in hot pursuit of my 20 year old competition, who finished in 5:44..... last time ran sub 6 min miles was high school and maybe the first year or two of the Air Force. 

Today mile run in gas mask, 7:20. Then a 26 min 5k "recovery run".... Obstacle course technique until lunch, then at the range running and shooting all afternoon in the 100+ heat... I love it

as I write this an hour or so before bedtime i'm at almost 20k steps... gonna try and hit a few squats and grip tomorrow if I can.... looks like recovery day (sauna, swimming) fingers crossed

Today morning fast and sauna/swimming pool calisthenics

a quick little clean and jerk session before lunch 10 reps at 165 in 1:54

backsquat to 305x9, felt a bit weaker actually, hopefully not a trend with all the running - need to find a way to keep the strength up

more range time in afternoon yay

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates... by the grace of God I made the MAJCOM team for Defender Challenge. Tryouts were last week - grueling and long days, hence why I've gone radio silent. Still training however, did a little clean and jerk session yesterday, 10 reps at 185 in 4:15, a speed PR followed by some stressed out BB shooting (great way to enhance your shooting skills - do a hard set of anything to get your HR up and muscles tired then practice a fine motor skill like shooting)

I'll try to keep updating - training pace is still going so very busy but I love it

track, 400m intervals, 3 times, 1st 1:03, then 1:10, 1:15

finished with 7:31 mile, very tough after the quarters

Whoa! 400 meter sprints I haven't heard of those since high school haha. Were you going 100%? Close to a minute is a great time that shows excellent speed endurance and mental strength. Good work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Durrs said:

Whoa! 400 meter sprints I haven't heard of those since high school haha. Were you going 100%? Close to a minute is a great time that shows excellent speed endurance and mental strength. Good work.

Thanks brother. Trying to increase my endurance for the comp in Sept... not sure what events are... but it'll be fitness challenge, tactics, and shooting. So I need to be well rounded.

• Like 1

Snatch 10 reps at 136 in 2:40, clean and jerk 186 for 10 in 3:20 PR 

road run with sprints, a good top speed of 21.1 mph. Good to know I still have top end after all the middle distance training.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday did a mile in 5:45

Yesterday 10 snatches at 145 in 6:35, 10 clean and jerks at 195 in what would have been just under 7 min but I missed the tenth rep... neck hurting a bit so I didn't reattempt 

Today tested where I am at oly lifting wise, worked up to a 160 snatch, probably had a bit more but I held off... then worked up to a 220 clean and jerk, jerk felt very solid... especially given the fact I missed the clean on the first attempt - didn't get under the bar... 

squats at 305, eight reps... felt quite heavy didn't have the hp for the last two 

two sets of 12 goodmornings with 115

grippers rapid tns #2 left for 8 reps, 11 reps right

CCS clicker reps with 125, ten clickers left, 136 right hand got 8 reps maybe

64kg inch good lift left, 9 second hold right 

wanted to do a ruck but it was storming so I called it a day

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Back on some grip stuff after a while of being unfocused...

Did the Defender Challenge in Sept. and our team did well but not well enough to place in the top three overall. Grip is still pretty strong but not polished, need some work for Gripmas to be a success. 

Today got in some oly lifting and CCS work, 2.5 left 3x3 with a 125, right 3x3 with a 136, then 2x5 with a 109 left and 2x5 with a 125 right

IM axle worked up to a 1x10 with 298, felt good on the hands but the back was starting to hurt a bit..

• Like 1

Yesterday grip work... fat grips on oly bar, to 110kg for 20 reps... hands felt like they were never gonna get tired

Today 7x5 TNS filed #2 easy stuff right hand... left was a good challenge

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

still training but not consistently with the grip stuff.. did a bit over the Christmas break

Thurs. TNS amrap with a filed #2 for one hour, left hand 66 reps, right hand 90 reps

Today clean/push press reverse pyramid, 190x2, 180x3, 170x4, 165x5, 135x10, all with 1 min rest between except 2min before the last set

• Like 2

Impressive combination of strength AND endurance, Jon!

• Like 1

Thanks Eric, I bought a garmin watch and have been wearing it for a year and a half.... it tracks HR, sleep, VO2 max... etc, and I've went from the low 30s for VO2 to a current 65 since April. Unfortunately there is a bit of give and take as my top end strength is a smidge down - but I feel better overall.

• Like 1

That’s quite an improvement!

• Like 1