jvance

Strict press to 155

Press with 10s hanging from band plus 95 for hold stability 2x5 3ct pause

Plate lateral raise/deficit pushup superset 10/10 for 3 rounds

Snatch work.... many singles with 95 for  practice

Klokov press 2x3 at 65

Double 28kg kb strict presses, 2 sets doubles

Thickbar testing day

Ragebar fatgripz to PR 312, after missing 305 i put the PR weight on and missed again. Took another shot at it and got it solid... never give up after a miss - you didnt try hard enough.

On to pinch, 2hp to 182, then took about 5 attempts at a pinch deadhang, got it finally, sometimes it takes the tendons a bit to wake up and lock on.

2inch vbar to 241, left hand also for a pr... ive done much more in the past but nowadays i use bumpers so the stack is very high and minimal smaller diameter plates - 10 <... this makes rotation much more intense and the high stack doesnt allow side torque to help tilt into the lift.

Wrist wrench holds 65/70 then 40lb hold 5x5 5 seconds each

Squat clean/thruster, singles 125- 185 by 10

Clean then 5x front squat 185

Fg dl 225x5x5 toughest bar

Fg db holds+ 35 plate hold 120/135

Five rds of above...

65# back ext x5/min plank... 3 rds

Clean technique work 5x10 with bar

Bar goodmornings full extension and pause

Muscle snatch, pause snatch, snatch balance, klokov press.. 3 rds 65#

Shoulder complex superset; press and hold 115, 20lbs hanging off, then 2 28kg strict press kb x3, def pushups x15, 15lb plate lateral raises x5, 3 rounds

Snatch, SB, btn push jerk, push jerk.. 95/95/115

Back ext with 65lb 5 reps 3 sets... this is feeling much stronger lately

Weds light day
DO fat grips fast/thicker bar, 5x5 @ 180, nice and easy, changed the hand placement each set from snatch grip to clean grip

Back ext 3x5 @ 65, getting easier 

Various planks and bicep holds
I did more but I didn’t log right away and can’t remember, plenty of mobility mixed in as well
Thursday 

C&J light session at 95#, about 15 singles, 20 second breaks working on technique and footspeed

OH Squat broad jumps, empty bar, 8 jumps each set

Shoulder superset with back extensions and plank to finish, bulk of the day was spent warming up, stretching/rolling and sometime in the sauna

Friday heavy day/testing
So my day didn’t start out well as the gym I usually frequent was doing renovations (unbeknownst to me), so I ended up going to a gym I never liked before… However, they got some nice new equipment so I’m calling this one home now ( (mesabi oly bars w/ true 28mm knurl, plyo boxes and two brand new platforms. 

Warmed up with cleans and then singles to 195, then front squat one set of 5 same weight to fulfull my squatting obligations

Hating having to switch up bars all the time for testing, I couldn’t help but be curious how the fat grips would feel on the mesabi bar… Long story short, very much like my Rage bar in the garage as expected. I worked up to a PR 315 (if using the Rage as the previous), very happy with this as it was a very solid lift.

My 5RM was 295 so also very pleased once more. 

RT testing next after some stretching and overhead shoulder work (basically pressing the bar with working weight and a kettlebell for instability and concentrating on breathing and balance), left hand worked up to a solid 177 (don’t think this is a PR, I think I’ve gotten 180+ left before – not sure). Right hand I wanted to work over 200 but the bumper width and my loading pin height prevented that – oh well. 
Also did a plate hold with a 25# bumper + 5lb for a 3 ct.. very tough

Finally I got a wild hair and did box jumps with the stackable pad type they had at the gym (took the fear out of attempting max heights), so I am very pleased to work up to a 52” jump (running start). Very encouraging as I’ve always had good hops but never had a respectable box jump due to fear of injury…. I’ll upload the video later on tonight. Edit: didnt mention i was in clunky weightlifting shoes - probably coulda got higher in light shoes.

Sorry its a bit hard to read, copied into my phone from word.

Edited by jvance

Back to the grind, Smolov squats getting tougher....

Working front squats - 165, 9 reps, 4 sets

Working Rage bar fat gripz, 267, 5 reps, 5 sets - these were grinders to finish... hands a bit more fatigued bc I did grippers prior

CCS left, GHP5 for 5 reps, CCS right, COC 2.5 (125) for 5,

20mm block left, COC 2.5 same for 5 reps, right GHP7 (145) for 4.5 reps, last one off an 8th...

mini medley, 183 2hp + 145 anvil L/R, 40lb blob 5 second hold L/R, 3 rounds to finish

goodmornings, planks and lots of stretching to finish.. got a good wholesome lunch in afterward :)

Power snatches to 155, power clean + jerk to 195, strict press singles to 160

OH squat box jump (unweighted w/ jump rope) to PR height 42", standing box jump to 45"

OH press 145 (52lbs hanging kettlebells for stability), ten second hold + 20 def. pushups + 10 lateral raises with 15lb bumpers. One set

Stretching then 15min dry sauna followed by a constrast shower for recovery 

Edited by jvance

Squat clean dbls to 165

FS 176 x7 5 sets

Front rack qtr squats, x3 to 315, singles to 345

Clean high pulls with fat gripz, 215x5x5

Sauna 11min/cold shower 3m/sauna 11min then contrast shower for recovery

3min massage chair

• Like 1

Snatch off 12" blocks, to 135 just a few singles

Snatch grip high pulls off block, to 275 2x then clean grip 2x, 5 sets

OH squat box jump to 42"

Back ex 65 3x5

Stretching planks and sauna 15 min then cold shower

FS 188x7x5 thought this set would be grueling but it was actually quite tolerable, legs getting used to the volume and responding - tomorrow will tell, fri- sat back to back squat days for the next 3 weeks.

V2 gripper supported no set, to L11 both hands PR, crush getting stronger!

Fat gripz fast spin bar (irongrip i believe)... 1rm to 295, 305 to knees twice, 5RM 270... about where i expected on this bar, need to hammer out some volume monday and i should get 305- 310 in the bag for this very difficult bar

2hp block to 182, then pinch hang attempts, not happening today

Plenty of stretching, back extensions and sauna 10min/cold showrr/6 min

B2b squat day, early morning session

Working FS: 200x3x10 

Stretching, massage work, rolling, and a contrast shower to finish. Hard day, but felt it more in the joints than muscle overload. The reps were all with good form, nothing near the limit. Next week ramps up the intensity...

FS 190x9x5, last three sets had to rack on 8 and take a few breaths to finish the 9th. Brutal...

V2 Left ccs level 11 x4, right level 10 x5. Mms reps level 12  x5 both hands

Fast spin fat gripz, 243x5x5

2hp 165x5

2inch vbar attachable, 182 2x5 both hands

IM hub to 49lb set of five both hands

Sauna 16min over 185 degrees, contrast shower

Shoulders: 

Strict press to 165

Klokov press to 105

Floor press to 200

15# plate lateral raises, def pushups 

Plenty of stretching and mobility throughout

Sauna/cold shower twice 10m3m9m5

FS 200x7rx5s

FG speed clean pulls 195x5x5

Attachable vbar 5s holds, 132x3

IM hub 5s holds 39x2

2hp block 5s hold 142 x 5

RT 132x5 both hands 

As per schedule, grip was an AR day. Smolov front squats were a grind today... two first sets got to 7 without pause... last 3 sets had to rack on 6 for a five second shake it off and get back under. Tough work but got the reps in...

Sauna siesta 15m/contrast shower

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Durrs said:

Yeeesh! Smolov for front squat you are a brave man! 

Almost through base phase, getting intense.... hard to recover on 3 nonsquat days a week. It is brutal so far but i love the challenge.

• Like 1

Recovery day

Full mobility session, back ext 3x5 with bar.

Bench to bench back ext

3m plank

Sauna/cold shower 9/3 x2

FS 213x5x7s, grueling but got it done...

V2 gripper, CCS to L12, L13 pretty close.

Grip didnt go too well... tried the brand new painted gopher sports axle at the gym... very slick, barely got 330... hopefully it was the texture not my strength - given ive gotten stronger with fatgripz.

Bout it....

Sauna 8m/outside in the windy cold/back to the sauna 8m

Early Saturday morning pain...

Smolov front squats 223# 3 x 10s

Light back ext between sets along with thoracic stretching on the foam roller... got through the set with no reracks or missed reps. None of the sets felt easy... one more week of this base cycle and then some much needed rest and a test of 1RM

2 contrast showers throughout the day along with electric massager for quads/knees

Grip work: 30/30 2x each direction 8# shot rotations, ext bucket up to 22# for a couple 3s holds

Last week of high volume base, Smolov program. Good session this morning, recovered well from fri- sat. 

FS 201x9 x4sets

DO clean grip axle, 270x5x5

V2 gripper no set supported, 5 reps 2 sets each, level 9

IM hub 49lb 5s holds 3 sets

1hp 75lb block, 5s holds 2 sets

Attachable vbar 5s holds 178, 3 sets

Edited by jvance

Shoulders; quick rundown. Strict press to PR 170

Klokov press to 115 PR

Snatch balance to 135, pause OHS

Plate lateral raises 

28kg kb double strict press 5 reps