Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Jerks from squat rack, to 100kg

IM axle amrap 10min, 13 reps at 145kg, plus three misses throughout

Mile run 5:48

• Like 2

Squats at 255lb no stop no lockout for first 10 reps, then 3 more without a rerack just a few deep breaths

Quickly did an strength cardio set, clean + 5 push presses then 4 cleans with 165lbs, did this 3 times in under 8 min, for a total of 30 combined reps

Edited by jvance

my now regular thurs. grip WOD, one hour TNS AMRAP with filed #2, 68 left, 112 right.. +2left, +22 right (probably due to a steadier pace and less reps at a time but more frequency)

Edited by jvance
  • Like 3

no grip wod today, did a "heavy" grace wod, clean+push press 165x30 in 5:50 

Then my half mile torture route, near 100 foot total incline, today legs felt heavier and tired with a 3:01 - not bad but not the 2:48 I hit a few weeks ago

I did however, goof around with the 50lb blob and managed a couple good lifts on a very minimal warmup

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

5s and 3s, track workout leading to a split up mile, 2x 500m, 2x 300m, total without 100m walks 4:58

back into the training bay for another IM axle AMRAP, same weight at 145kg; this week a much improved 24 reps in 15 minutes, including 18 in the first 10 which outpaces last sessions' 11 in 10... heartening on the grip side but I tweaked my knee running so the ups and downs continue

Yesterday only BJJ... 5x5min rolls back to back... great smoke session

Today hit it hard after a day and a half of a horrible diet, pizza and bday cake lol - put shit in get shit out, felt like absolute dogshit

255lb squat rep out, first nine without full standup so full muscle contraction - then 3/3/1 for a set of 16 total

CrossFit grace with a pullup twist, 30 pullups/ 30 clean and push presses at 135lb

2 mile run in 15:03, felt pretty much like trainwreck but I just pushed through anyway - not a pretty result

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Lower back, glute work.. knees didn't like clean and jerks 

Mile road run in 6:40, not the best but wasn't pushing too crazy

Hour amrap with 2.5 ccs, left hand 27 reps, right hand 54

• Like 1

busy week.... 24 hr fast on Tuesday with teaching CQB all day

Weds just BJJ drilling and some exhausting rolls

Thursday a post age 25 PR; 9:11 mile and a half run followed by "grace" in 5:30... pushed to the limit

Friday early day squats, high rep set of 14 reps at 115kg, the first nine no pauses or lockouts just up and down

then a 10 min IM axle amrap with 150kg, managed 8 reps (two misses before rep 7 and rep 8 ) so 10 attempts... more shoothouse teaching then BJJ again in the evening

yesterday just some grease the groove lifting, light snatches and good mornings... some grip tendon work in the evening

Today got to test my fitness levels using high dollar testing equipment by a spec ops pro nutritionist... good results - 7.9% bodyfat and a legit 59.1 VO2 max among other stats

Watching the championship games now but I might get a gripper workout in as well

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

today afternoon 1/2 mile hill run into stout headwind: 2:57... not bad at all considering the wind

2.5 CCS amrap, up to 31 left, with about 4 near misses at the end, and 61 right... had to stop as the callous was starting to bleed on my pinkie... probably had at least 5 more in the tank to finish the hour

You seem to be getting pretty fit my friend! Looks good from what i read! Do you notice this halts gripperprogress? I just feel that when I train and get fitter, bf% drops, and I maintain strength, could train for more reps, but adding more gripperstrength for 1rm closes, comes to a halt. This may have to do with the form of training, but...I don't know. Do you think the high volume CCS closes with 'lighter' grippers will carry over? Still good gripwork though. 

Edited by Geralt

yesterday quick filed 2 tns rep out, as soon one hand burns out switch, then repeat until no more reps can be performed: 24 total right, 15 total left

Today weak squat workout, up to 255 x 2 front squat and 255x7x2 backsquat

then fat grips extreme, worked up to 255 solid, 265 partial

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geralt said:

You seem to be getting pretty fit my friend! Looks good from what i read! Do you notice this halts gripperprogress? I just feel that when I train and get fitter, bf% drops, and I maintain strength, could train for more reps, but adding more gripperstrength for 1rm closes, comes to a halt. This may have to do with the form of training, but...I don't know. Do you think the high volume CCS closes with 'lighter' grippers will carry over? Still good gripwork though. 

thanks Geralt! I don't know the answer off the top of my head... test FGX max today, gonna hunt down some previous numbers in this log and maybe I will know.. I did manage 8 reps with a 35 lb plate curl - which may be a PR but i'm not sure... grippers are down a bit from peaking at the 3 CCS 6 or so months ago