Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Backsquat, up a bit at 325 for 9

Grippers, CCS 136 left, still a hair short of a double, right a single with the 149 - felt tough today

Left TNS GHP 5 for 10 reps in 2 min, right struggled with 10 TNS in 3:30

2hp, 1 min of holds in 27 total, 27/1 volume density

2 min axle holds, first ten seconds thumbless (tougher IM axle with wide bumpers), hit a 4 second PR with this setup... then the rest DO, 53 minutes overall

• Like 2

Yesterday 

PT test, happy to report a near decade old PR of 9:47 for the 1.5 mile

Today,

5 min plank/superman

worked up to clean and jerk singles on the minute for ten minutes, 195lb

• Like 1

I've been seeing progress with it, whereas I have not had too much success in the past with traditional rep work.

7 hours ago, Hopefully said:

What's the reasoning behind doing cluster sets and not continous reps with grippers? Or does it simply work better for you? ☺️

I've been seeing progress with it, whereas I have not had too much success in the past with traditional rep work.

Backsquat doubles to 355

Front squat to 285 for 3 singles

back extensions 4x10

Sauna 15m

Later in afternoon in the training bay,

axle rack holds, no thumbless for 3min - longest session to this point.. also kept the 10 second hold at a time pace till after the first minute... then regrouped after midway thru... shortest hold was 4 seconds so I feel like I am getting stronger

2hp 17m/axle 14.5

Edited by jvance

On 5/23/2018 at 3:13 AM, jvance said:

Yesterday 

PT test, happy to report a near decade old PR of 9:47 for the 1.5 mile

Today,

5 min plank/superman

worked up to clean and jerk singles on the minute for ten minutes, 195lb

Wow for me European that’s 2.4 km! 9,47 minutes is very fast man! Why the PT test btw? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

Wow for me European that’s 2.4 km! 9,47 minutes is very fast man! Why the PT test btw? 

Thanks Geralt, I've been giving cardio the attention it needs and it's paying dividends. I feel better too - and contrary to conventional beliefs, it isn't hurting max strength.

I am a law enforcement instructor with the Air Force so we have to take yearly fitness assessments.

14 hours ago, jvance said:

Thanks Geralt, I've been giving cardio the attention it needs and it's paying dividends. I feel better too - and contrary to conventional beliefs, it isn't hurting max strength.

I am a law enforcement instructor with the Air Force so we have to take yearly fitness assessments.

Ah, nice man. True, you know I have been thinking about incorporating running also again, like you said, it should not interfere with strength when done in the right amount. I am getting at that age where it is just as important to be fit then only focus on strength, which to honest, isn't one of my best sides to begin with lol (strengthwise). 

When I was in law enforcement I remember this as a pretty good time for running that test. It is doable but it definitely needs focus! I remember doing 1.7 miles (2750 meter or 2.7km) in 12 minutes as a max and I felt like I was doing the olympics lol This was very hard for me. Other guys were flying at this test, and no specific training for them other than smoking and drinking in the mess -sigh - 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Geralt said:

Ah, nice man. True, you know I have been thinking about incorporating running also again, like you said, it should not interfere with strength when done in the right amount. I am getting at that age where it is just as important to be fit then only focus on strength, which to honest, isn't one of my best sides to begin with lol (strengthwise). 

When I was in law enforcement I remember this as a pretty good time for running that test. It is doable but it definitely needs focus! I remember doing 1.7 miles (2750 meter or 2.7km) in 12 minutes as a max and I felt like I was doing the olympics lol This was very hard for me. Other guys were flying at this test, and no specific training for them other than smoking and drinking in the mess -sigh - 

Yes but it would always catch up with them. I see people again all the time who I came up in the ranks with early on and most of them are broken and out of shape... As for me - I haven't changed much over the years, a bit stronger... a bit slower but it's to be expected when I've gained about 40 lbs of muscle over the last ten years. I was a track/swim athlete in high school so my mile times are slow compared to those days :)  Of course I ran every day back then also - at least 3 miles.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Geralt said:

If you find running boring, one of the best things or cardio, that also doubles as a grip and strength workout is hitting tired with sledgehammers. Do I intervals, sprint style bouts or long sets with varying weight hammers if you have them and you will never have to run again

Today 

Clean and jerk sets of ten (dropped from overhead - not crossfit speed hang cleans)

3:29/3:15/3:13 with 4 min rest between

also between did 2hp holds, 7/5/9/4/7/7/7/11

don't ask how I managed the best hold for the end... I think it was because my clean and jerk ladder I had finished so I had time to prep the steel and dry the sweat off my hands (94 degrees at this point) 

tally to this point: 2hp 18/axle 14.5 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If you find running boring, one of the best things or cardio, that also doubles as a grip and strength workout is hitting tired with sledgehammers. Do I intervals, sprint style bouts or long sets with varying weight hammers if you have them and you will never have to run again

Yep, agreed... good to push the body past those perceived fatigue limitations... nothing worse than being in a combat situation and being completely out of gas cardio wise.

3 minutes ago, jvance said:

Yep, agreed... good to push the body past those perceived fatigue limitations... nothing worse than being in a combat situation and being completely out of gas cardio wise.

I meant tires not tired. Haha

Weighted back extensions, reverse back extensions, dips x 10/12, box jumps x8, 2 rounds

Then hill sprint intervals/ 8x30 seconds mostly, 2nd was 1/4 mile in 1:10... top speed reached was 20.6 mph

• Like 1

Today backsquat 330x7

warmed up with front squats to 255

Grippers 3x5 reset reps about two minutes per set, left hand 125, right hand 136

messed with the 64kg inch, probably about 8 holds right 5-6 seconds each

left hand a few quality picks, best was a 3 second hold

7:00 mile run after in texas heat yay

• Like 1

Yesterday clean and jerks on the minute for 10 minutes, 200 lbs

reverse back extensions w/ med ball 2x10

mile run in 7:09 94 degrees

• Like 1

today AM

front squats to 255 x 9

hill sprint 1/2 mile, 2:52

legs feelin it

• Like 1

back from a  short vacation in Galveston

did a small bit too keep in shape (tried to keep up with the crab cake and Guinness consumption 😎)

mainly short sessions of pushups, planks and supermans early before the family wakes up - grip was just rubber band extensor work... mainly when driving

Yesterday tread in place in the pool 12 sets of 1 min sessions

Today invisible chair/superman/plank/superman/chair then 5 mins HIT cardio elliptical/5 min treadmill on 10/9/8 

After we got home, did a quick clean and jerk session - up to 205 on the minute for ten minutes, last few reps had some pressouts as the bar path was starting to come out front 

Tomorrow will probably be a more intense day

• Like 1

Well jacked up my right wrist on the cardio clean and jerk work... plan was to hit 165 for 8 reps (weight dropped completely on each rep) in 2 minutes for 4 sets... got the first in 1:55, then on the second set I felt a sharp pain in the wrist on the jerk and stopped after rep 3 as it wasn't going away

mile run after in a snappy 6:54... not bad in the heat on my neighborhood hill route

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Good workout in the heat... pinch felt terrible tho!

Grippers, to double TNS reps max in 5 min (108/125R) did the first 10 in 2:45, got 4 more total in the 5 min amrap… (established as the new 5min standard)

Then CCS Savage reps @paulsavage left hand 125 for 8 reps, then 7 reps on the next set, right hand did 136 for 8 reps, and then 6 on the 2nd set

64kg inch holds, left best was 3 seconds, right hand with added 10lbs got a best 5 second hold.... did about 8 picks each hand

In between grip did squats, up to 325 for 10, then 4 more reps in the next 2:30, after the first ten did each rep one at a time out of the rack.

Finished with 1/2 mile neighborhood hill run... down to 2:40 in the heat! feeling smoked

Edited by jvance

lotta numbers, but this is what logging is all about

finally got some snatches in (wrist hurt a bit during warmups with the empty bar but I put on the thick eleiko wraps and they finally felt decent enough)

started out light, up to a 10 rep set for speed with 125, all reps dropped and regripped, baseline time was 2:58 

then moved up to a heavier clean and jerk 10 rep set, with 185 I completed all reps in 6:30

I quickly changed shoes and did a half mile run (almost all uphill save for the first 100 meters) completed in 3:46 at a 7:32 per mile pace...at 96degrees and with 72 feet of elevation gained, this was not too shabby for a baseline

just front squats to 275x5

grippers speed, 125 left/ 136 right a few singles, tried the 3 and missed by a mm... guess I wasn't rested from Sunday's session

2.5 axle holds, 240 lbs, did 35 seconds of thumbless holds and then a min with overhand 1.5 min total

• Like 2

shortttt lunch break workout

proper running track: sprints 30s/90 walking

covered 1.51 miles in 15:00 as of the end of my last sprint... sprints were approximately 200 meters so I covered a mile sprinting in 8 goes. 

Top speed 20.1 mph/2:59 mile pace... so a good performance with little time to stretch/warmup in the heat

• Like 1

Lunch pump, axle standing military press 113lb 2 sets, 12 reps

50lb dumbbell hammer curls till failure.... 20+ reps each lost count

Later when I got home, quick! workout because the family was hungry

warmed up and did clean and jerks with 185 for 11 reps in 6:30, the same amount of time it took me to do 10 last week

Then filled up on some chalupas and a torta asada … I deserved it

• Like 2

Strength endurance day

my Better Half was in the garage pushing me/keeping time so I did better than expected (she overshot time on purpose unbeknownst to me :) )

Snatches with 136 for 10, in 2:50, so 10lbs heavier and 8 seconds faster than last week

clean and jerks with 166 for 10, in 2:40, best was 3:05 I think... prior

Then neighborhood mile run in 6:49, I think a PR for my home road course

probably some grip active recovery today since I missed a 3 close this week... need to double down

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1