Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Higher volume lighter resistance gripper mesocycle. After missing the 3 cert narrowly I need to build more foundational crush. Next 3 weeks as I've completed a week already, all higher rep CoC 2 work.

All reps on filed 2

1x12 CCS, 1x15 CCS (swipe card first, then next four mini reps) 1x8 tns

Left 1x10 CCS, 1x12 CCS + 4 mini reps, 1x6 tns

Sneaky sneaky you! Heh. Shame you missed it bro, if it helps: I know how it feels. How would the gripper feel compared to your own grippers? And what do mean with foundational crush? Higher RGC? Harder CCS? Less reps etc. I think with the recent outcome of 'harder' #3's, having a steady 153 - 155 CCS is a must. It's a difficult feat to stay on topstrength for. At least, for me.

You will get it though. You feel like you could warm up enough btw?

Edited by Geralt

Higher volume lighter resistance gripper mesocycle. After missing the 3 cert narrowly I need to build more foundational crush. Next 3 weeks as I've completed a week already, all higher rep CoC 2 work.

All reps on filed 2

Sneaky sneaky you! Heh. Shame you missed it bro, if it helps: I know how it feels. How would the gripper feel compared to your own grippers? And what do mean with foundational crush? Higher RGC? Harder CCS? Less reps etc. I think with the recent outcome of 'harder' #3's, having a steady 153 - 155 CCS is a must. It's a difficult feat to stay on topstrength for. At least, for me.

Thanks Geralt, I think it felt in between the 149-160 range of 3s I own. Probably 153-56. I bought the gripper and will focus on CCSing it and my 160 before I contact Ironmind again. I guess I figured the chance of having to close a harder than 150 gripper would be offset by the rest and adrenaline of doing it at the fit expo with all those grip and strength legends. I was jacked but I didn't warm up properly (no squats or pressing) and my CNS couldn't overcome a stiffer than expected 3.

Very disappointed. I even had the Great Bill Kazmaier watching, along with Amy Wattles and Randall Strossen - tough way to come up short on a cert. I will learn from it and do the necessary preparation to get stronger and make next time a formality.

By foundational crush I just mean stronger in all facets, endurance, mid and top end CCS strength. Ill work lighter stuff like the 2 for about a month and increase volume before I cut the volume for heavier work, then taper down and prepare to set a PR. At that point ill restart the higher rep stuff again and keep at it until I'm consistently hitting 160 without having ideal preparation conditions.

Cert conditions are the ultimate challenge, little warmup, unknown of a brand new gripper, time of day, etc...

• Like 1

All reps on filed 2

Thanks Geralt, I think it felt in between the 149-160 range of 3s I own. Probably 153-56. I bought the gripper and will focus on CCSing it and my 160 before I contact Ironmind again. I guess I figured the chance of having to close a harder than 150 gripper would be offset by the rest and adrenaline of doing it at the fit expo with all those grip and strength legends. I was jacked but I didn't warm up properly (no squats or pressing) and my CNS couldn't overcome a stiffer than expected 3.

Very disappointed. I even had the Great Bill Kazmaier watching, along with Amy Wattles and Randall Strossen - tough way to come up short on a cert. I will learn from it and do the necessary preparation to get stronger and make next time a formality.

By foundational crush I just mean stronger in all facets, endurance, mid and top end CCS strength. Ill work lighter stuff like the 2 for about a month and increase volume before I cut the volume for heavier work, then taper down and prepare to set a PR. At that point ill restart the higher rep stuff again and keep at it until I'm consistently hitting 160 without having ideal preparation conditions.

Cert conditions are the ultimate challenge, little warmup, unknown of a brand new gripper, time of day, etc...

Thnx for writing that down bud, it sounds roughly like my own experience, only excluding the Kazmaier thingy haha

I am doing no more CNS activating stuff when training grippers btw....when I am fresh, I really don't feel difference when doing squats or not. If I need cns activating work begore grip, I am just not recovered or well rested enough. Learning somethng everytime how my body works. I have been making grippertraining much too difficult for myself.

Edited by Geralt

That's a pretty good audience for a cert attempt Jon. Sorry to hear you missed it. Sounds like you have a solid plan to be prepared for your next attempt. Keep up the good work

Edited by Jeff Parker

That's a pretty good audience for a cert attempt Jon. Sorry to hear you missed it. Sounds like you have a solid plan to be prepared for your next attempt. Keep up the good work

Thanks Jeff, gonna stay focused for sure

Are you not allowed to warmup before a cert?

You can warm up, however, I didn't do any heavy squatting or pressing (usual prelude to crush days), so my CNS probably wasn't at full power.

Next time!! :rock :rock :rock

damn right, thanks bro

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

grip endurance pretty decent, need more work on top end strength.. 149 rated 3

still training hard but never time to keep the log going.. 

• Like 5

Nice!  Have you tested your silver bullet lately?

• 3 months later...

Still training. Dealing with a strained oblique so front deadlifting aggravates a bit. 

20kg kb snatch 20x/20x

Suitcase barbell DL to 460

One hand DL hook grip to 325

Fat grips extreme db wrist curl to 90 2x5 L/R

FGX db thumbless pulls to 125

• 3 weeks later...

New gym pts, not really grip related..

Dbl barbell suitcase DL 480, 500 still a no go. Need work on strength off the floor... lockout is easy

Standing broad jump... four max attempts, 10'3 to an all time PR of 10'7". Never have felt more explosive, at 31 I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.

Been working heavily on oly lifting technique - snatch/CJ. Very poor mobility in the front squat rack posn and overhead squat. Working on mobility drills to help. 

Grip is still dragging along, not many prs but sooner or later I'll break free.

• Like 1

Bw 193

DOH IM axle to 333, rep every 30s for six, down to 303 thumbless for three 

1h IM axle cleans to 143L / 148R 

Axle wrist curls to 213 in triples

• Like 1

Kettlebell and oly lifting work, form getting better on snatch/clean. Finally getting the mobility in the hips and low back to get in the deep front squat/OH squat and get a proper catch.

double kb snatches for explosiveness work, I don't think there is anything better to teach hip explosion in the jumping power position than this exercise.

formcheck with 2 28kg:

Fatgrips extreme work after, hand to hand tosses @ 105, singles left to 115, and a pr single right at 135... I believe my old pb was 125

IM axle:

1hand snatches to 113,  almost left, attempted 123 right almost got underneath right hand. Should be a wrap next week

DO to 333, doubles every three minutes for five sets

Wrist curls to 223x2x3

Yesterday hit PR with 8lb sledge rotations, 67 left before muscle failure, and 70 right reversing directions on the 10s

Not much time to log....

PRs this week 

185 one hand barbell clean

5 reps one arm push jerks with 62+26 kettlebells

Tough week.. cns fried and feel run down. Weekend off should help recharge.

Been kinda sick over the weekend, not quite 100% but did a lighter session volume wise.

IM axle one hand cleans to 143#left/153# right... several goes with 148# couldnt close the deal. Right couldve prolly gotten up 158# but decided to save some CNS. Dont remember my old pr but it was on my 1.9 axle (a bit easier).

Wanted to pull DO but warming up didnt feel fast off the floor, never a good sign so i called it and worked some OH squats and mobility work. Hopefully a good nights sleep or two will get things going again. 

IM axle one hand snatches:

Left up to near success at 118#

Right finally hit 123# video to come; no wifi currently

Few other things, mainly general strength work. Trained with a guy at work who surprised me with a 283# DO axle pull at 190 bw. Got good air with 293 also just couldnt lock out. He never heard of grip training till a few days ago when i showed him a trainer and some fat grips. I bet he will knock out 300 in a few months if that.

• Like 1

Cleans/front squat work

Grippers singles to 149/136 with 20 block, 136/126 38mm block, 126/108 credit card. All explosive closes

One hand cleans IM axle

Left: 123/133/145

Right: 123/133/155/163pr (posting vid in a few)

163 definitely a new pr, went back in the log and best i did prior was 155... on the easier 1.9 axle. Finally back on a roll here.

Edited by jvance

IM axle thumbless hang cleans+push press to 193 with push press, then hang clean only 203/218/223 almost. 218 is a pr i believe - old best logged was 215 on the 1.9 axle. 

RT left to 166 3x2, right to 201 2x2 one more double attempt hopped on last rep

Doubles over 200 is also a pb

Rev curls on axle 3x5 83lb

• Like 1

OH squats/lunge work to no hand back squat work at 135# several sets and combinations

conditioning superset, power clean 195# to front squat for triples, muscle up doubles, dips for a set of five... three rounds two min break

fat grips wrist curls, seated.. singles to PR 230 with a nice little hold

one hand snatch work, today dumbbells singles of 100 and 110 each arm, focused on speed/technique

fat grips one hand DB cleans, 110 left 120 right, 125 came up good but used the left arm to assist in the catch position - not quite good enough to count... don't remember what my pb is but 120 may be a new one

Worked with buddy from work...high energy stuff. He hit a 303 DO axle, 308 to knees. I initially wanted to hit one hand axle snatches, but 103 wasnt fast so i switched to barbell one hand clean. Left to 175, 180 really close... too much tilted couldnt control the catch.. right hand got 195 for a pr. Bodyweight was 196 so bw goal is all but conquered.

One hand DL with hook grip, singles: 225/245/275/315/325 pr left/345pr right. These felt good today, thumb finally not feeling like its gonna rip off.

OH squat mobility work and dynamic warmup

Then WOD:  2 reps each 135 power snatch to atg squat - 5 reps two 20kg kettlebell push jerks, then 2 reps two 28kg double snatch. Three rounds on three min rests.

Supported reverse wrist curls, barbell 65lb 2x5, then reverse supported bicep curls same weight.