Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Never tried that 'trick' in the 2HP but I will. I think my 2HP is even worse than yours Jon relative to the 1HP and, like you, I set my hands up for the 2HP like I would for the 1HP.

Thanks Chris you lead the way when it comes to mentoring and sharing freely from a wealth of knowledge.

Mikael, glad this helped you out as well. I've wondered why I had such disparity between the two lifts and this was the answer - very simple. Now that I know it will only take me working this thumb position for a little while to create strength and muscle memory and I expect a significant rise in my 2hp.

• Like 1

There are a few cues that I give somebody when I train them on pinch.

The rotation is one of them. The best way to grasp this movement pattern is by lifting a light weight while keeping your index and middle fingers off. As the weight increases, you'll have to learn how to feel the arm rotation.

As you get better, your movement will turn explosive. 1+1=3

"I never guard training secrets FYI . People like Chris and Kody have always been generous with information they've either learned on their own or from others. It's a burden of responsibility that I bear as someone who's got a few years under my belt to help others avoid some of the mistakes I made and achieve progress and success in grip.

I will never sit on or charge money for information that I know; whether exclusive or commonly known in grip circles."

Love to see people like this :)

Knowlageable people that help newcommers instead of turning in to noteshavers and greedy shits.

You, Chez, Wigren and Chris Rice are some of these helpful dewds I know :D

How do you apply the rotation? Do you pinch with full force and then apply rotation, vs or all in one go?

There are a few cues that I give somebody when I train them on pinch.
The rotation is one of them. The best way to grasp this movement pattern is by lifting a light weight while keeping your index and middle fingers off. As the weight increases, you'll have to learn how to feel the arm rotation.

As you get better, your movement will turn explosive. 1+1=3

I start out with a very packed, tight position, but with loose fingers.

From there, I'll bend my elbows and get low. When the lift starts, I grip, rotate, and stand up.

As for the 4 finger drill I mentioned above, you won't be able to effectively grip the euro, so you'll only be able to rely on rotation.

Yori, how much more percentage-wise do you pull in the 2HP compared with your combined R+L 1HP, if I may ask?

Sorry for kidnapping your log Jon, last question I promise.

From there, I'll bend my elbows and get low. When the lift starts, I grip, rotate, and stand up.

As for the 4 finger drill I mentioned above, you won't be able to effectively grip the euro, so you'll only be able to rely on rotation.

Yori, how much more percentage-wise do you pull in the 2HP compared with your combined R+L 1HP, if I may ask?

Sorry for kidnapping your log Jon, last question I promise.

Mikael - isn't there a thread some where where the one hand - two hand numbers were discussed? Maybe it was just in another log and not on its own - I'm not sure. My memory plays tricks on me :). I get almost 25% difference myself.

I looked through my workout log for 2014 and I have maxed out in the 2HP directly followed by maxing out in the 1HP a total of 11 times. My combined 1HP result was 99.9 % on average of my 2HP. Without first maxing out in the 2HP the combined 1HP would probably be slightly higher than the 2HP. Time to get to work on that rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

Training here and there... In the Deep South with my wife's family for a couple weeks. Her folks live in the sticks and there are plenty of old truck and tractor axles with the wheel hubs intact. Been working a little DO training here and there w/ a particularly challenging truck axle. Easily liftable with the leaf springs at bottom, if you flip it over it rotates big time bc of the heavy leaf springs on top wanting to rotate to the bottom. Can still lift it, only for two reps though. The diameter is at least 3" by feel and somewhere between 230-250 by feel. This is perfect bc I've been slacking on thick bar lately. Time to get my training somewhere, the shock factor of heavy volume on a 3" rotating axle will most likely benefit me big time.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

Better progress with the 3" axle. Three days of light/moderate training and its coming up strong for 3 reps before the wrists fatigue and it starts to roll out the hand. The other, more stabilized 3" axle I did one hand thumbless hand to hand passes. Not sure what it weights I'm thinking a bit over 200lbs. Also did some wide pinch with some old tractor tires/wheels... Barely able to get a grip on the wide surfaces. Prolly a total 200ft of farmers walking

Grueling IM anvil workout w/ 2 tractor weights 50-60lb each by feel estimate. Did 3 approx 150-200 ft farmers walks w/ 2 min breaks between.. Then repeated w/ opposite hand. Then did 40 sec holds, 1 each hand... Then 2 sets directional holds, twisting the horn w/ wrist pronation/supination 2 whole rotations each hand. Hands and fingers shaking from this workout - something new to shock the tendons into breaking the 215 plateau... 100kg and beyond will be a reality soon

• Like 1

Part 2: last day with the truck axle, from 6 days ago not being able to control the rotation from the top heavy leaf springs, now I repped it out 2 sets five controlled reps- comp quality! Tried power cleaning- not quite yhere yet but settled for a few high pulls w/ that fat SOB.

Definitely got some wrist tendon conditioning out of this week- maybe it's all the down home cooking! Either way time for a nice deload on my way to TX. Gonna see some PRs in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

So ill be straight up, i made a new goal of pinching my two tractor weights... Super wide at 4 and 3/8"; they weight 82lbs together and allow absolutely no tilt. They also are extremely slick sandwiched together w/ the thumb side block wanting to slide down. Ill put this feat up there w/ perhaps the old school 4" deep dish 45s. Gonna take some serious new strength, but I said i could never lift my fitness gear 45s so I won't say these are impossible... BUT, these make those 3" 2-45s pinch feel easy.. Gotta put in some serious work and I will lift these badboys, not gonna put a timeline on it though.

So ill be straight up, i made a new goal of pinching my two tractor weights... Super wide at 4 and 3/8"; they weight 82lbs together and allow absolutely no tilt. They also are extremely slick sandwiched together w/ the thumb side block wanting to slide down. Ill put this feat up there w/ perhaps the old school 4" deep dish 45s. Gonna take some serious new strength, but I said i could never lift my fitness gear 45s so I won't say these are impossible... BUT, these make those 3" 2-45s pinch feel easy.. Gotta put in some serious work and I will lift these badboys, not gonna put a timeline on it though.

Sounds insane Jon! Could you post a pic of those 'tractor weights'? Haven't got a clue what those look like.

Royz, Here they are... Each around 41lb and gripping thickness is 4,3/8" or 111mm. Toughest pinch challenge undertaking I've took on so far

Royz, Here they are... Each around 41lb and gripping thickness is 4,3/8" or 111mm. Toughest pinch challenge undertaking I've took on so far

post-22112-0-72889600-1412615114_thumb.j

Those will be a nice challenge for anyone to pinch.

Wow those are wiiiiiide!

Some challenge dude. They should include this one at the next Mighty Mitts competition...

They are head and shoulders harder than 2-45s, even most of the tougher ones.. I think the would stop all but some of strongest pinchers out there. It'll be a while before I lift them so I will buckle in and enjoy the ride!! Lifting those will undoubtably help my blobbing strength and all around pinch versatility.

Jon, how do you plan on training for those bad boys? Do you have a special pinch block that wide that you can attach to a loading pin?

Jon, how do you plan on training for those bad boys? Do you have a special pinch block that wide that you can attach to a loading pin?

Yes I have a 5" block, I will also train the thumb for this lift by tilting one side up and squeezing tight to keep the thumb side from sliding down - a good isometric w/ dynamic pressure. Ill also put my loading pin thru my fat 45s, insert one or two euro pinch inserts and perhaps extra weight; and pick two hand lift and turn like a steering wheel. The split seconds that one hand comes off to turn the "wheel" right or left hits the holding hand w/ a momentary overload. Ill do whole turns in both direction so both hands get the pinch overload. It's very important to be completely warmed up for this pinch exercise, but it hits the tendons like nothing else and can ramp up your pinch very quick. It was an exercise I got from Kody that helped him get his massive pinch ability.

Edited by jvance

Could you perhaps post a pic or short vid of the steering wheel thing? It sounds very interesting but I just can't fathom what you mean exactly.