Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Just did hang snatches this morning 5x10 each hand with 40# to get the blood flowing

Later at work did active recovery with rubber bands and reverse wide grip pinch curls w/ an old ammo can with a pound or two of rocks. Did a bunch of sets of ten each hand.

Did set of 12 strict pull-ups fully geared up... Idk maybe 30 or so extra pounds. BW this morning was 185.

Bunch of BW stuff today. BW was 187

For grip did active recovery circuit and stretching

big workout tomorrow night at Kody's... been layin' low after an elbow flare up from CCSing grippers.. looks like they will be taking a backseat once again. Hopefully I can get some good training in without any problems

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Great log Jon.

Love your some what unconventional approach to grip with all the explosive moves you do like cleans and snatches.

Edited by Royz

Thanks Royz,

I try to stay diverse in my training. Its good because one gets to be well rounded, less prone to injury, and continually interested in the fitness/grip/iron game because progress is more of a constant. Hopefully my wide focus will take me to an elite level in time. Appreciate the feedback!

Morning BW 186/Workout was 188.2

Training at Kody's

Started out doing a long warmup, dips, back lever work, and box jumps to the tailgate of my truck 3x5 rapidfire. Also a few squats here and there to 225 for sets of 3-5. Got the pinch nice and warmed up early and felt pretty good, his thinner 45s felt pretty easy for pinching. Ended up pinching his welded wide 45s for the first time. They come in at somewhere between 2.5-2.75 inches wide and 94 lbs. Also got the euro up and running but didn't go over 87#... just did a 3 or 4 holds with that weight but thumbs were already beat up so i stopped there. Between sets did a bunch of work with his 2" wrist wrench - pulled 95# for 4-5 singles. One hand axle didn't feel good either... so i got out the IM LBH handle and ended up pulling a ton of work.

Started out warming up at about 130 to 160 - hands started feeling pretty good as the reps increased. Once i got to 181, I decided to go for a cardio session for as many reps as i could pull in ten minutes. Ended up with 27 each hand... Figured i was done but something in me said to go for bodyweight. I was surprised to find I had plenty of gas still in the tank and nailed the bodyweight lifts of 191 both handed... my left was done with a nasty blister but i kept going with the right. At that point Kody was pretty bummed about a lackluster pinch session and got a wild hair to jump without having barely warmed up the lift. We ended up going lift for lift all the way to 209.8, which ended up being my max. 212 i got a few times but couldn't lock out... kept trying and just ran outta gas. Kody went on to pull a freaky 230.2.

I finally got my one hand hang on that thing as well - i'd been working on that for a few months now, going from using the hub as off hand assistance down to a coin pinch... and finally a solid hang!

It was good training and my hands are raw and beat to hell but I am very happy with where I'm at on the anvil...Also was awesome seeing Kody being Kody - when his mind is in the game he is from another planet... also i was so jacked last night i couldn't sleep... maybe an hour of sleep.. might take a little while to recover from this one!

I'll be training King Kong even though i doubt i'll make it. Gonna start focusing on the axle and hub to round out my weak areas. I'd like to cut down to the 83kg class for the first time, time will tell..

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

Morning BW 185.8#/workout 189.2#

Probably should have sat this one out as that workout at Kodys followed by no sleep still has my body drained.

Tried a lofty marathon session w/ 130# inch trainer... Only managed 72 total l&r reps within a 13 minute session... Was hoping for 200 in 20... Just felt off... So of course I try to go for a positive and do 2 hp... Not bad but elbows felt shot... Pulled BW+ with 193# 4 times in 2min... Followed by clean lifts of 203# and 208#... Didn't go higher cuz the elbows were feeling sore...

Oh well I thought I had some PRs waiting but not tonight... Need to ride the recovery wagon longer and stretch/massage

Sometimes I can't help myself :)

Need to ride the recovery wagon longer and stretch/massage

Sometimes I can't help myself :)

Dude, I totally know what you mean!

Training is too much fun

I forgot but I managed a couple meathook hangs off the eagle loops last night... My strength and flexibility is increasing - especially in the back and shoulders. Video:

• Like 1

AM BW: 186/PM 189

Been worn out and recently taking a lighter approach to training.

Hit it pretty good tonight.. Warmed up with some rows with 115# on the axle 2x10 (everything both hands), focusing on keeping a level bar and pulling high with squeeze at top.

Worked up to 165# for some doubles, three sets.. keeping good form w/ hold at top (edit: straddle deadlifts one hand)

Switched gears to DO axle for some volume, 2x5 w/ 285#, 1x5 w/305, and two solid sets of 5 at 315, last set felt the best as i really controlled the weight well to the top.

Messed with the blobs doing some hold work with my 45#.. nothing special

Throughout workout did extensor bucket work and sledge prosup... elbow still feels like crap but the axle didn't bother it much and i needed to get a heavier session in... been forever

Edited by jvance

PM BW 188

Did leg raises and pistols earlier in the day

Night just warmed up some active recovery (AR) with some sledge walks, prosup, and light levers... decided to do some light pinch and the warmup 2 25s felt like styrofoam so i worked in some KB style swings with them and got out the 2 35s.. mind you all my plates are 1.5" so these bad boys are pretty wide.. the 35s came up easy for holds both hands and i ended up going all the way up to 83# in extra weight - which came up easy right handed... the skin starting to become an issue on those wide edges so i didn't try those bastard 45s.. (very soon i will lift those bad boys, i've lifted Kody's tuff set... so these are next in line.. i think they come in a 91-92 and about 3" wide or 75mm.. tried them a year ago after i was in the 100s for 1hp and they didn't go, not even close)... after that i just worked in some blob holds for time - nothing more than 45# and worked on my backlever.. pinch is coming together though - seems like my strength is getting consistent through more widths

Edited by jvance

PM BW: 188.2

Volume squats 5x5 250

2 hand pinch; up to 183# w/ thumb protectors 8 holds for 5 seconds, last two were ten seconds no protectors

anvil work 6 singles each hand at 150# w/ ten second hold

coin pinch + little big horn 3 hangs at 5 seconds.. then one pullup from each side

lots of sledge prosup and extensor bucket in between... also 5 sets of sledge finger walks each hand - attempted the hammerwalk at 18#.. left got halfway up; right 3/4

Grip felt good tonight, no elbow issues at all.. surprising since this is a third straight day of legit grip training (not all out - but still)...perhaps it is the focus on muscle balance, or lack of grippers... who knows.. but i feel strong and i feel like this is just the beginning

• Like 1

Liking the frequency and the innovative approach you use for grip training, jon. Question...what the hell is a thumb protector?

Liking the frequency and the innovative approach you use for grip training, jon. Question...what the hell is a thumb protector?

I have several; a pair I got from David Hornes worldofgrip store and a couple pairs that Kody's grandma sewed up.. They are all basically suede leather thumb wraps that protect the thumb webbing area from direct contact with metal. It allows me to train much more volume with up to about 90% of my pinch 1RM, without the nagging skin tears that take forever to heal.

• Like 1

PM BW 186

Thickbar work

axle hang cleans 1x5 @ 165, 185, 1x3 @ 205#

one hand finger curls in the rack a la Chris RIce 3x5 with 135#

DO fat grips rack holds 305, 325, 345, 365#, focused on clean liftoffs to a solid lockout and 1-2 second pause at top

one hand fat grips l&r, 2 singles at 155#, 175#, then right hand singles at 185 and 190# (video below and in new thread):

finished with fat grips wrist curls at 175#, 2x5 and wrist wrench holds at 70#... 4 singles each hand with ten second hold

Quick grip workout after some squats

Anvil work with old anvil and LBH

LBH Holds, up to 150#, five seconds each hand switching w/ no breaks for 7 holds

RT left 148# 1x10, right 168# 1x10

plate curls left and right 1x5 with 35# plate

40# blob holds 3 sets each hand ten seconds - rotating the wrist back and forth while holding

old anvil @ 150# 3 holds each hand up to six seconds left and right hand hand ten seconds each

active recovery tonight... more sledge walks and prosup.. and ext bands... getting faster with the 8# walks - last night quickest run was 7.5 seconds righty

• Like 1

down but not out... i'm still here just been laying low... the other night i think i tweaked my left bicep messing with innocent blob curls :inno

no bruising or swell at 48 hours just feels a little weak and sore.. doesn't seem to want to flex at solidly as my right

i noticed it after a set of time holds and curl attempts with the 40# blob... didn't get the rep lefty and didn't fight either.. just got it about a 1/3 up and dropped it back down.. i didn't notice anything until about a minute after one of the sets... it suddenly felt kinda weak and i pushed around the tendon area lightly and that made me queesy..feeling and looking at the tendons now, the left looks a bit more protruding and frailer looking than my right, which is thicker and less pronounced... i talked to a guy at work who is very educated on strength and pt and he said it is probably a light strain since i can still use the muscle with 100% function, just slight pain, and no bruising... just gonna do some light active rest for while and see if the strength and tone go back to normal

Last decent grip workout in my beloved basement gym in Dayton :cry no big deal just kinda hit me... moving out tuesday

workin with a tweaked left bicep.. not really anything major just been going easy - still got some decent work in tonight

rows 2" dumbbell both hands 1x10 @ 107#, 2x10 @ 127#

inch trainer suitcase and grip neutral DLs @ 130#; 34 left hand reps and 41 right in 10 minutes

45# blob holds left and right 3 holds each for ten seconds

3 holds right w/ 50# next gen, best six seconds... hopped left no good lifts

shot a little vid for me to commemorate my training time here.. just did a double hold 50# next gen right/45# fat left... i think 7-8 second hold.. then went for a deck of bikes, which i have done before but failed tonight... never wanted to go 100% though with my iffy bicep

i'll post the video later, pretty tired at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

Been a grind with the move, but got some good work in at Chris Rices on Saturday.

- a 210 pull @ 183 BW on the euro (1.147 ratio)

- a definite 212 on the LBH, 216 was brought to close enough to legal height but I wouldn't have gotten a down signal I reckon (1.158 ratio).. More BW hangs from the left and right on the horn as well.

Too much other good work to count - plus great coaching especially on the pinch. I am shooting for 100kg pinch at under 83kg, it will happen very soon as I think I've finally figured out the lift. Chris gave me the final missing piece if the puzzle which left me without a PR in almost a year.

• Like 2

Last decent grip workout in my beloved basement gym in Dayton :cry no big deal just kinda hit me... moving out tuesday

workin with a tweaked left bicep.. not really anything major just been going easy - still got some decent work in tonight

inch trainer suitcase and grip neutral DLs @ 130#; 34 left hand reps and 41 right in 10 minutes

shot a little vid for me to commemorate my training time here.. just did a double hold 50# next gen right/45# fat left... i think 7-8 second hold.. then went for a deck of bikes, which i have done before but failed tonight... never wanted to go 100% though with my iffy bicep

Awesome work! And what was the missing piece of the puzzle for you?

He could tell us, but then he would have to kill us.

• Like 1

Thumbs situated outwardly opposing the index on the 2 hand pinch. I Was setting up the thumbs the same way for a one hand pinch. So I was throwing away mechanical leverage from the hand supination into the euro. Basically, this small change greatly increases the twisting power that your upper arms and elbows generate. Make sense? If not, someone else feel free to explain it! Hard to put complicated mechanics into words without visual aid

• Like 2

I never guard training secrets FYI :). People like Chris and Kody have always been generous with information they've either learned on their own or from others. It's a burden of responsibility that I bear as someone who's got a few years under my belt to help others avoid some of the mistakes I made and achieve progress and success in grip.

I will never sit on or charge money for information that I know; whether exclusive or commonly known in grip circles.

• Like 3

BW 184

Fat grips at gym l/r - rows 3x10 with 90/100/110#, cleans w/100# 5 each hand, and 3 sets of hand to hand catches 6 xfers each set

RT 153# sets of 10 left/right

Sumo DO axle working set 3x3 @ 315#/DO axle power shrugs from the floor 2x3 @ 275# and another 2x5 @ 305# to smoke the forearms

Trying this complete splitting up of thickbar from pinch... Lately it seems that while my overall hand/thumb strength has increased my support grip has been down. More rest for thickbar might be what I need

I never guard training secrets FYI :). People like Chris and Kody have always been generous with information they've either learned on their own or from others. It's a burden of responsibility that I bear as someone who's got a few years under my belt to help others avoid some of the mistakes I made and achieve progress and success in grip.

I will never sit on or charge money for information that I know; whether exclusive or commonly known in grip circles.

Proud of you Jon! that's a great attitude. There's a bible quote that I'll probably get wrong but I'll try. You received without payment, give without payment.

• Like 3