225x1 And 255x1 Push Press

king crusher

So I decided to do some heavy push press attempts today. According to my phone app I last did these 191 days ago. Slacking big time.

The stupid gym staff said good lifting but you can't film your lifts here. Um what?!?! When did that start? Gyms these days are becoming a joke. If it wasn't only 10/mo I'd drop the membership. No chalk either now even though I clean up and make no mess.

Anyway here's the two vids I got. Attempted 275 but got only half way up then got 225x3. Not on film what a joke.

The 225 flew up

The 255 started to stick. My timing is not advantageous for big push presses. I get a lil push off the chest but the rest is all shoulders.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I never seem to stick with push press though not sure why. I may try to add it to my shoulder routine though see about getting closer to 300.

Good job

Those are some good strong push presses man. I think that 250 puts you solidly in the top 10% or so for overhead lifting! Maybe even top 5%. And without doing them for over 6 months!

If you got 275 halfway then I'd bet you could get a full lift in a fairly short amount of time if you focus in on your Triceps. Have you ever done incline close grip bench presses for a 6 week cycle before? Way back when they helped me break my plateau for push press. Not that your endanger of plateauing, just an idea for an assistance lift.

Hey frank. I do incline bench a lot and seated military a lot also. And I also do close grip flat bench a lot. But never do close grip incline.

Yeah I think if I include it into my training I'll get 275 not too far out.

So I decided to do some heavy push press attempts today. According to my phone app I last did these 191 days ago. Slacking big time.

The stupid gym staff said good lifting but you can't film your lifts here. Um what?!?! When did that start? Gyms these days are becoming a joke. If it wasn't only 10/mo I'd drop the membership. No chalk either now even though I clean up and make no mess.

Anyway here's the two vids I got. Attempted 275 but got only half way up then got 225x3. Not on film what a joke.

The 225 flew up

The 255 started to stick. My timing is not advantageous for big push presses. I get a lil push off the chest but the rest is all shoulders.

Cool lifts!

Great lift. Have you felt any pain or "grinding" type feeling in your rotator cuff. Sometimes I feel something weird going on with mine when I do these. I also don't go down as far as you either. Maybe I come down to my nose. I know I cheat the lift, but I do see strength gains even while cheating.

No grinding EJ. I know other people who can't go that low due to flexibility in that position. I do my seated presses off the chest too. Plus front squats has the bar in the same spot. So I guess it's just conditioned to feel ok to sit there across the top of the chest.

Nice man you don't use that much leg drive to be honest either. I think if your shoulders are a bit more flexible you might have a more sturdy start position it looks like the way you have it now that a little miss balance would cause the bar to come forward and make it near impossible to finish no matter the weight. You could look into getting wrist wraps also those help me for overhead movements a lot to keep the wrist locked in. Also liquid chalk since your gym doesn't allow the real stuff. Cannonpower works sells really good liquid chalk I have used before.

Yeah Stephen I don't use much leg drive, hence how I almost stalled before lockout on the 255.

Do you mean just bring the bar right on top of chest? I could do that my shoulders are fine with that. What do you mean about miss bal making it impossible. That part I didn't get.

Yeah Stephen I don't use much leg drive, hence how I almost stalled before lockout on the 255.

Do you mean just bring the bar right on top of chest? I could do that my shoulders are fine with that. What do you mean about miss bal making it impossible. That part I didn't get.

I mean like sometimes if you are too forward at the start you can press forward and not in the right angle so it would make it hard to recover. I have found getting that strong bar path right over head can be tricky sometimes. You did fine on your attempts though I just notice some weightlifters have it more on their chest I think to prevent the bar going forward too much so they can drive over the head easier. If you have some weightlifting shoes they help a lot to get leg drive also I have found.

I know I also need to work on driving my head forward and under the bar. That is what a pro strongman friend of mine told me.

Not really cheating EJ. You just lose power when you dip to drive because the bar will sink and absorb some of the drive since it is not in contact with the body the whole time. Some of the strongmen I train with lack that same flexibility but dosen't stop them from putting huge weights up.

Nice push pressing by the way! !