Joe Kinney On Im Forum

jvance

In case anyone didn't catch this news being dispatched on Richard Sorin's log... Joe Kinney is online and doing Q and A on the Ironmind Forum. Very exciting and good news because I hate when people entirely disappear from the grip scene. Check it out.

• Like 1

This seems like a long overdue opportunity to ask direct questions to the man himself. With, witnesses, grippers whereabouts, letters ,and the actual person coming forward to explain the real time line and certainty of any and all claims would have been welcomed many years ago and perhaps a just man being given his due.

I have always been in support of grip and strength and have many good memories sharing with my fellow grip brothers for the past 5 decades.

Edited by 1stCoC

The flood gates may open on this. i remember reading and hearing a lot of doubt. this could be a train wreck. However i really hope people learn and find a new respect for Mr. Kinney, and his accomplishments.

I am moving this thread into IronMind's sponsor forum. Also a reminder not to participate in cross-over that originates on the IM forum and bringing it to the GripBoard.

With the original certification gripper gone and never inspected by anyone of grip prowess, a video being remastered and edited and a brilliant man holding back in the shadows for years when the simple truth could have been explained and demonstrated a decade ago the ride would have been far less bumpy for all. If a farce in some way were perpetrated on the public for years it truly would become a train wreck. The man has done nothing directly to me , I welcomed the opportunity to meet him and was politely denied so any support I could have rendered seeing and examining this super mans powers would only have helped him.

• Like 3

I am moving this thread into IronMind's sponsor forum. Also a reminder not to participate in cross-over that originates on the IM forum and bringing it to the GripBoard.

Matt, should have put this there from the beginning. Thanks... This thread is to spread the word and hopefully controversies don't arise either here or on his forum. I was pretty stoked when I saw he was online so I wanted others to know that aren't always up on this stuff.

With the original certification gripper gone and never inspected by anyone of grip prowess, a video being remastered and edited and a brilliant man holding back in the shadows for years when the simple truth could have been explained and demonstrated a decade ago the ride would have been far less bumpy for all. If a farce in some way were perpetrated on the public for years it truly would become a train wreck. The man has done nothing directly to me , I welcomed the opportunity to meet him and was politely denied so any support I could have rendered seeing and examining this super mans powers would only have helped him.

This is a HUGE point you made here. This is the basis of all doubt. I have no idea why he has been such a, for a lack of a better term, hermit. I Bough the Get a Grip dvd with hopes that something would be presented, proved and explained. I kind of feel like i was let down. I realize the 4 is a monster and closing one on command is impossible, but i expected more than a 3 close. I really do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I want to believe his training regiment and his grip tools helped him. but for a long time I've always wondered why a man with such strength and drive never really shared anything until the dvd more than a decade later

Perhaps that's something that could be asked in a tactful way? Now is the chance to get answers and put an end to speculation. I signed up for the forum and will no doubt think of something to ask Joe. Lets all remember the overall good he's done for grip and its publicity as a whole. I was one of the newbies who was inspired and motivated by his accomplishments.

I believe that Heath Sexton handled Kinney's #4 ( stated on the board that it was one tough #4). This was at their meet and greet a few years ago. Am I incorrect Heath?

This seems like a long overdue opportunity to ask direct questions to the man himself. With, witnesses, grippers whereabouts, letters ,and the actual person coming forward to explain the real time line and certainty of any and all claims would have been welcomed many years ago and perhaps a just man being given his due.

I have always been in support of grip and strength and have many good memories sharing with my fellow grip brothers for the past 5 decades.

Richard -

A discussion of those items you mentioned is on the GOPD thread on the IronMind Forum for all to read, ponder, and enjoy; the thread mentioned here is about training.

I believe that Heath Sexton handled Kinney's #4 ( stated on the board that it was one tough #4). This was at their meet and greet a few years ago. Am I incorrect Heath?

It was more than I wanted for sure. I met up with Joe in Knoxville, took some swings at my 4 and failed, took some swings at his 4 and it laughed at me and then just hung out and shot the breeze with Joe. I really enjoyed meeting him as we had a great conversation for a couple of hours.

Not trying to speak for Joe but he did not seem to have a lot of money so traveling around wasn't much of an option. He, like me, did not seem to be big on new people and that is one of the traits of our region for the most part we are very distrustful of outsiders. He seemed to be one of those guys that had worked hard for most of his life and did not seem to get excited about much. He had that, "Hey Joe, your pants are on fire!" "hmmmm, well, I hope it ain't a big fire...." mentality.

It would have been great for Richard to have met up with Joe, it is unfortunate that he didn't. Bean Station, TN is about the size of where I live. If you drive to Oneida, walk to to just about anyone, and say you are looking for Heath Sexton you stand a great chance of finding me. I'm sure the same could be said for Joe Kinney and Bean Station, TN.

I was glad that John Wood and Joe got together as IMHO that's 2 of the best that have had their hands on grippers. John Wood is the best I have seen in person and Joe having not trained in quite awhile took my filed #3 down to nothing with no major effort standing in a Toys-R-Us parking lot in Knoxville.

• Like 2

I appreciate you reminding me that the grip board is about training ...what we should be really into doing and helping others. I have tried on most occasions to do this. I welcome you as well after thousands of posts to do the very same. One would reason after designing ,having the best grip devices available ,and seeing many of the best grip athletes of all time Mr. Strossen your training knowledge ,dedication ,and strength would have shown in your personal grip results as well in the past two decades. You stated a best grip feat being a no set #2 and a Wilton vise set #4 is this correct as being your best recorded grip effort? Seems like solid success and applied ,superior training.

• Like 3

Matt -

Hope that I am not contributing to this confusion—yesterday, I asked Richard (on the IronMind Forum) to tell us more about his comment that he was denied the opportunity to meet Joe Kinney, but he has not responded yet.

I agree that it really would be best for Richard to bring those comments and questions to the source, rather than posting them over here:

http://www.ironmind-forum.com/forum/training/grip/1744-gopd-gripper-obsession-personality-disorder/page123

Thank you.

Imagine... Joe Kinney in the grip well...

Pretty much the same thing Anthony. Great opportunity here

It's a great opportunity—Joe Kinney is a pretty quiet guy who does not seek out the limelight and it took me a long time to convince him to join and post on the IronMind forum, so if you have a training question, hop on that thread and ask away.

I won't speak for Heath, but I brought it to an AOBS dinner one year—Richard Sorin was there, as was Dale Harder; also guys like Pat Povilaitis and Steve Weiner . . . anyone who wanted to give it a try was encouraged to.

I think we had some discussion about this recently on the GOPD thread on the IronMind Forum, if anyone wants more details . . . Matt, how should I handle things like this to avoid the cross-forum concern you mentioned, please?

I appreciate you reminding me that the grip board is about training ...what we should be really into doing and helping others. I have tried on most occasions to do this. I welcome you as well after thousands of posts to do the very same. One would reason after designing ,having the best grip devices available ,and seeing many of the best grip athletes of all time Mr. Strossen your training knowledge ,dedication ,and strength would have shown in your personal grip results as well in the past two decades. You stated a best grip feat being a no set #2 and a Wilton vise set #4 is this correct as being your best recorded grip effort? Seems like solid success and applied ,superior training.

Richard -

I think this was supposed to be a dig, but I will use it as a springboard to explain something vital about top performances.

I had a guy once express concern about discussing his training routines and I said, Do you know how many +200 kg snatches I have seen and how many top weightlifters and coaches I have talked to, photographed, etc.? Do I snatch over 200 kg?

Of course not because knowledge and motivation are only part of the equation for athletic performance.

You, for example, could sometimes close a Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper and this was with no real systematic training—I am sure that even if I followed Joe Kinney's exact training routine, I would never be able to close a Captains of Crush No. 3 gripper, any more than I would be able to to run the 100 in under 10 seconds or than other people would be able, for example, to learn integral calculus.

We all have different gifts and rather than being envious of or belittling others, I think it's better to focus on excelling with what we have ourselves and applauding others for doing the best with the hand they were dealt.

• Like 1

Randall, referring to the IM threads and making their existence known is totally fine.

What we want to avoid are divisive posts that generally take the tone of being a rebuttal posted here to something which was stated elsewhere (or vice versa).

Randall, referring to the IM threads and making their existence known is totally fine.

What we want to avoid are divisive posts that generally take the tone of being a rebuttal posted here to something which was stated elsewhere (or vice versa).

Matt -

Thanks much—all of that makes perfect sense to me and I will try to ensure that we do likewise on the IronMind Forum.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Is whoever is posting by the name of Joe Kinney in fact Joe Kinney?

Yes..

Most of us "over 50's" have never posted a Youtube video before. I give JK points for doing this, as well as his dry sense of humor.

Being the technologically challenged guy that I am I'm not sure if I'm more impressed that he could make this and post it or that he closed a #4. :)

• Like 1