Ironmind Sandbag

ImpGrip

Hey guys i just ordered my sandbag just curios for any tips for making it? Like what is the best thing to fill it with? how to fill it ? what would be a good weight to start with? or easiest way to make the weight interchangeable

also any exercise suggestions and so forth

I've had one for years now, and it's held up in a local power lifting/strongman gym. I got some smaller, filler bags and filled them with 50lbs of sand each. Then I can adjust it to whatever weight I want. A quick internet search can tell you what exercises you can do with it. have fun. It's a good tool.

• Like 1

get it to a comfortable weight then make some small 10-20 lb sandbags for weight increases

• Like 1

Great buy! Buy some pea gravel (not sand or dirt unless you like choking), and fill it accordingly. Good exercises would be sandbag loading or over bar, carries for speed or time, sandbag shouldering, sandbag pressing (excellent odd object for this).

Work on lapping the bag quickly and do rows to build your finger grip, work on getting it up to your chest or over a bar/platform. Then start trying to pull the bag off the ground and catching it to load, carry or press it.

Good luck!

I'd say that a lot of this depends on how much weight you want in it and the amount of volume you prefer to deal with, but whatever you choose, it's likely to work and you will get a great workout. Also, don't be shy about contacting IronMind directly if you have questions about how to use our products—we have friendly, knowledgeable people there ready to help you.

• Like 1

thanks for the input guys

im going to get it together tomorrow probably will fill the 4 bags i got with the order with 50 lbs each and then duct tape the bags after i fill them up

going to try the pea gravel i think

• Like 1

still havent gotten it together but looks like i will need to buy some smaller bags to fill the 2 big white IM liner ones i got with the sandbag

Sandbag Lifting is fun.

I carefully measured many small 5 lb. filled bags - some with sand and some with wood pellets (depending on the size of your sandbag and how tight you want to fill it).

The point is that it is very easy to change the weight of your sandbag - 5 lb. at a time.

50 lb. filler bags would be very heavy to work with.

• Like 1

would you suggest getting smaller like 20 lb bags and filling them up i still have the big white ones i got with the order but if i was to adhust weight i would have to open that up everytime

• 2 months later...

I also own an Ironmind sandbag. I use it weekly.

My opinions on sandbags

1) More volume is better than less volume. When the sandbag is less than three quarters full, there's too much shifting. Odd objects are good as long as they are not too odd.

2) Less weight is better than more weight. Barbells and dumbbells are for strength training. Sandbags are for conditioning (unless one is doing event training for strongman). I have seen plenty of trainees let pride get the best of them and load their sandbags in excess of 200 pounds. The problem is that they are not strong enough to do much with sandbags that heavy.

3) This leads to the matter of density. If more volume is better, and less weight is better, then we must find a filler with lower density than gravel or sand. I like to use pine bark mulch. Using a mixture of mulch and pea gravel, my IM sanbag is about 7/8ths full and weighs approximately 115 pounds. It's perfect for overhead pressing, shoulder carries, shouldering for reps, etc.

• Like 1