Jchap's Bending

jchapman

6/23/14

Two K-bars in IMPs

Still beat up from the Red five days ago. Just got in a little light work.

7/7/14

Crushed the 3 M-bars from last Tuesday, 7/1/14. Smashed them easily, two hits for each one.

Been a bit busy with coaching baseball and I haven't been training as frequently as I normally do, but in this case, it seems to be helping my bending.

• 2 weeks later...

7/20/14

Kinked three L-Bars

I have been extremely busy with coaching baseball, and now there is a bit of a letup. I got weaker in my barbell lifts since the season started in April. I am back on a regular routine and will kink on one day, and crush on another.

7/27/14

Kinked three 19/64" DR bars

I really need to learn a lesson here. I did no bending specific warmup. I was pressing and doing DB rows, but my first bend was with 19/64" DR. I just about couldn't do it, and I put way too much stress on my knuckles. The last two bends melted like butter. I need to take the time to do a few warmup bends from now on. I am flirting with injury otherwise.

8/6/14

Kink work:

K-bar X 1

M-bar X 1

Red Nail in BBW X 1

Red Nail in IMP's X 1

It was hard today, but I powered through it.

8/14/14

Kink work:

L-bar X 1

Red Nail X 1 in BBW

Red Nail X 1 in IMP's

I am in a good place with my kink. Recently I have figured out how to engage my back and shoulders more. I also have learned exactly where to focus my force production, right into the end of the bar. Lastly, I am learning the the different types and locations of pain, and when to push through and when to hold back. I think this is very important, because it is gonna hurt, you just have to know if it is normal or if it will lead to an injury. In the beginning, I would hold back a little bit when the big pain hit. Now I can embrace it and keep pushing right through the sticking point.

My crush needs to catch up.

Very nice work.

Thanks for checking out my log, Tim!

8/17/14

5/16" CRS in IMPs under a minute

Another of my goal bends listed in my profile picture.

8/19/14

Red Nail crush

4 1/32" down to 3 3/4". Basically isometric, but got a little over 1/4" of movement. It is amazing how much these take out of me.

8/28/14

L-bar x 2

19/64" x 3 kink

Original plan was to full bend the 19/64". But I didn't have it in me to crush it. First one I only got down to 2.75". Had to really battle today, but this will toughen me.

9/2/14

Crushed the three 19/64" bars from last workout. Just smashed them. I felt really strong. Goes to show the highs and lows of bending.

Been there man. Seriously, it's like sometimes being an entirely different bender.

• Like 1

9/5/14

Kink L-bar x 2

Kink 19/64" x 5

I could barely kink the L-bar in warmups. I had to have a heart-to-heart conversation with myself; Did I really want to bend these bars, or do I just want to mess around and bend when I feel good and want to have a little fun. I was able to get my mind right, and then bend five 19/64" bars - the most volume I have ever done at that bar strength.

9/9/14

Crush L-Bar x 1

Crush 19/64" x 5

Today went great! I really felt sore and beat up, but I got my mind right and hit the crush hard. Each one went down in two hits. I was getting stronger as I went on. I was able to concentrate and get in the best position and when I applied force the bar just went. It felt like I had a lot left physically. Another stride made toward the Red Nail, I feel like I am really dialing in the mental aspect.

9/12/14

L-bar x 2

Red Nail x 1. Took a ton of time off my previous best of 9:00. This one was between 1:30 and 2:30, depending on when I actually had it under 2".

• Like 2

Really nice work. Do you have a timeline for a possible cert?

Thanks.

I don't have a timeline in mind, but instead have milestones I feel I need to hit before I cert. I need to consistently bend the Red in under 1:00, then I need to do it without rubber bands. Also, my Reds are from about three years ago, so I need to order some current Reds, just to be sure I can bend the current batch. At that point I will be ready to cert.

Having said all that, I turn 40 in March and I think it would be a great birthday achievement.

Thanks.

I don't have a timeline in mind, but instead have milestones I feel I need to hit before I cert. I need to consistently bend the Red in under 1:00, then I need to do it without rubber bands. Also, my Reds are from about three years ago, so I need to order some current Reds, just to be sure I can bend the current batch. At that point I will be ready to cert.

Having said all that, I turn 40 in March and I think it would be a great birthday achievement.

I look forward to following that progress on here. Also I'm new to bending so this log has given me plenty of useful technique and training ideas. Thanks.

Thanks Grass! It is good to know this log is helping someone else out. I learned from others and hoped I could pass the knowledge along. Also, if you look up some of the tutorials that Sean Cashman has on youtube, you won't be disappointed. Let me now if you have any questions, I'll see if I can be of help!