Bending Spikes

ChimpGrip

Check this out. http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERBAG1.html

The less people listed the harder the bend. The KOAB is FAR from the hardest bend. I have my sights set on the King Of All Shinny Bastards. It's 303L stainless 7x3/8" and around 800-850lbs on the kink.

Right now the gold nail under cert rules is the hardest bend IMO. It broke me the first time I made a real run at it. Nothing else has ever broke me that bad.

Coming from one of the best(apparently most patient)benders in history.

I'm here to ask, learn, and get better. I'm happy as long as I'm getting the excellent input I've gotten.

You should care, because all it seems is that you want the attention you're getting, and as soon as people feel they are wasting their time, they will clam up.

I don't know if they have this where you are, but on my Internet we have something called "Google". If you were to "Google" KOAB and bending for instance, you'd actually find the FBBC cert lists as well as a video of EJ bending one. Thus, instead of coming off as a troll, you could say hey EJ, I saw your KOAB bend. Was that the hardest piece of steel you ever bent? How do I get started?

Also, posting a video or two of some attempts at ANYTHING and asking for feedback will go a lot further than just asking seemingly random, though enthusiastic, questions. A month a go "king crusher" didn't know how to hold a piece of steel and he was just squeezing his eyeballs trying to bend a Red. A few videos later and some help from experienced people and he's a month or two from bending a Red Nail.

• Like 1

I'm here to ask, learn, and get better. I'm happy as long as I'm getting the excellent input I've gotten.

You should care, because all it seems is that you want the attention you're getting, and as soon as people feel they are wasting their time, they will clam up.

I don't know if they have this where you are, but on my Internet we have something called "Google". If you were to "Google" KOAB and bending for instance, you'd actually find the FBBC cert lists as well as a video of EJ bending one. Thus, instead of coming off as a troll, you could say hey EJ, I saw your KOAB bend. Was that the hardest piece of steel you ever bent? How do I get started?

Also, posting a video or two of some attempts at ANYTHING and asking for feedback will go a lot further than just asking seemingly random, though enthusiastic, questions. A month a go "king crusher" didn't know how to hold a piece of steel and he was just squeezing his eyeballs trying to bend a Red. A few videos later and some help from experienced people and he's a month or two from bending a Red Nail.

I've got google and far more than that. I don't appreciate how you stated that.

I'm not out for attention. That is what I least want. I hate drawing a big crowd to myself, which Is why I don't post on the main gripboard that much.

And yes I have found the cert list. I just want to see what it looks like, so I will resort to YouTube.

I don't appreciate how you stated that.

Then don't act obtuse when you are in the company of giants. Especially when you want them to help you.

Chimpgrip - tell us a little about where you currently stand with your bending. Things like leather (single or double) or IronMInd pads - what have you bent Double Overhand - Reverse - Double Under so far - what your training looks like etc? Knowing where you are will let people answer questions better.

• Like 2

Chimpgrip - tell us a little about where you currently stand with your bending. Things like leather (single or double) or IronMInd pads - what have you bent Double Overhand - Reverse - Double Under so far - what your training looks like etc? Knowing where you are will let people answer questions better.

Well said!

Post a video of a 60d attempt in any wraps. This will allow people to really help.

• Like 1

I got 60d nails but they're galvanized...

It's all they had

Will get back to this later

You need to give us more information. Are you bending braced or unbraced? What style of bending are you using etc?

Right now the gold nail is the big one. Some really great strongmen have trained and really tried to bend that or I should say, certify that and all have failed. A few have bent it in different wraps but in order to certify with Ironmind, you have to use their wraps and they are very thin and quite painful to bend the tough stuff.

Give us some more info or as has been said, film a vid of yourself bending or attempting to bend a 60d.

Mostly braced bending for now

Does it make a difference if the 60ds are galvanized?

Not at all. I've had galvanized ones that are easier and that are harder. 210 pounds on up to 440 pounds for galvanized ones.

If you have access to some galvanized ones, give them a go.

Just bent one fairly easily, it doesn't seem they are the same ones you guys are talking about. I just bought about $60 worth of bolts and those nails. Bolts of almost all lengths and sizes, even some grade 8 stuff

Next up is the iron mind nails. I will buy 3-4 complete sets of nails then buy the needed equipment

Edited by ChimpGrip

Next up is the iron mind nails. I will buy 3-4 complete sets of nails then buy the needed equipment

No, no, no. Don't buy them. They are a gimmick and will NEVER get you ready for the red nail, if that's your goal. If you are bending 60d nail fairly easily just buy some blue nails and try them. Once you bend an IM Blue, you have a long journey to the red. If you are serious, post a video and we will help with everything you need. There is also a progression list around here and that will lead you to the red pretty much uninjured.

But post that video and let's see some stuff first.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

So I just need to buy the blues, nothing else? And what wraps do I need? All I use now are small wash towels

Buy blues and two pairs of the iron mind hand pads. Might as well buy chalk there too if you don't have any already.

Also ask around and see if you have some place that sells steel nearby. Buying 12' bars of the proper size for where you are strength wise will be much cheaper in the long run - plus give you more lengths of your choice to work with - you can go down in small increments that way. You can cut it with a hacksaw - bolt cutters - cut off saw etc. The progression chart is invaluable - print it off and study it.

Toolanddie.com sells drill rod in EVERY size you could think of. It's all Precision Marshall steel and is by far the most consistent I have ever bent.

But bend a 60d post a video and we will help and work in the progression chart. I need to look for it and possibly pm some guys for it it's been so long for me. But we will get it to you if you are serious.

http://az-grip.com/calibration.php

For me, all I needed was the 0-1 Drill Rod. H,I,J,K,L,M, N & 19/64".

The 19/64" was golden.

This ^^^^. But cut it all to 7"

• Like 1

EJ is right about not buying the sets. I'd buy blues and go ahead and by a bundle of Reds simply because their shipping is so high and you might as well get them now and save some money on shipping.

The drill rod mentioned above is a great way to go. I've been bending the Fastenal stuff and it varies way too much in my opinion. Everybody swears by the company EJ mentioned.

Just repeating what everyone else said but ironming stock is a waste of money. I would only buy some red nails for cert purposes if thats your goal. Graded bolts and o1 is the way to go, Train on that and buy the fbbc and iromind stuff for testing yourself and certs IMO.

Graded bolts

Personally, I got nothing from graded bolts. I was bending Grade 8's a year before I bent a Red fully. First of all they are 6", so they don't give you the opportunity to work your technique and flexibility. Second, they flex in a strange way - a kind of movement I would consider an assistance exercise, like Westside's Bamboo Bench. 0-1 will give you a steady straight progression with consistent resistance that amps up through the bend.

A lot of good info on here. When Chris (Climber) gives advice, I'd listen ... he will tell it like it is, and won't waste his time with nonsense.

I agree 100% with getting the 0-1 drillrod, and setting up a progression. If you can't get rated steel, I'd average out existing pieces that are rated, to get a ball park, and then go with one step down, to be safe (and ensure you don't get any mutants). At least in doing this, you will be killing steel at a steady, graduated pace. (Just making sure you are in your ability zone to start, before you attempt any true PR bends.)

BTW, I still bend Yellow Nails, as a warmup, even though they are easy. I don't know if it is a mental thing at this point, but there is a sense of comfort (nostalgia?) bending one of these first thing, before anything else in the workout.

• Like 2

It's clear I have a lot to learn. I also have to over the shyness in posting a video on here. And I want to buy the right 60d nails. Ill get the IM blues, and probably get the reds to reduce save money as one poster in this thread pointed out.

You know what's funny? Some loser on here makes the time to mock me with a profile. Anyone who has that kind of time is probably some mooch or welfare recepient who hates to work and would rather sit around make fun of a poster on here. That reinforces the point that there are plenty of useless people in this world. I hope the worst for him.

You know what's funny? Some loser on here makes the time to mock me with a profile. Anyone who has that kind of time is probably some mooch or welfare recepient who hates to work and would rather sit around make fun of a poster on here. That reinforces the point that there are plenty of useless people in this world. I hope the worst for him.

Did you pm him to see if he really is doing that, or are you acting paranoid? Pm wannagrip and he will straighten it out. Coming in here and posting that is not cool. A few guys in here had their doubts about you, in fact it was brought up in this thread. I know who you are talking about and guess what? From his posts I don't think English is his first language. And of all the guys to mock, he picks you? Sounds like paranoia to me.

Edited by EJ Livesey

Why pm him when he likely either won't answer or won't be honest? I'm pretty sure he is when the username is basically the same minus 2 letters. The "bad English" is probably on purpose to add to it all.

Come on man. With all of the things I've posted why would he mock anyone else? I mean most of what I've posted has been seen as ridiculous. I haven't noticed anyone else like that on here. So of course it would be me