Bending Spikes

ChimpGrip

Is bending 10 and 12 inch galvanized steel spikes a good way for a beginner to build up "bending strength" ?

And standard 5 inch nails?

Depends what you want to use your strength for. For braced it's a good way to get technique down. For unbraced it's a waste and will leave you open for injury.

What is standard about a 5" nail?? All 60d's are 1/4x6". Are you talking about bending a 50d nail? If so i'd personally stay away from them.

Big question, have you ever bent? What is your goal?

Edited by EJ Livesey

Ill have to check on the nail, I don't have access to them right now (I'm not at home) and didnt pay attention as to what kind they are regarding their size before bending them. Braced you mean by pressing it against my leg? I'm new to bending

I've bent stuff like nails and bolts but I want to get serious about it. My goal is to have great strength in bending. I want to have diverse strength, being strong with grippers, pinching, bending, weight room exercises, and eventually start training strongman.

Depends how thick the steel is that you are bending? If it is 5" I assume you are talking about 40D or 50D which is alright but won't give a beginner experience for bending the 6/7" stuff.

Look into buying some of the ironmind nails and once you can do the blue nail you should be ready for some harder stock.

Un-braced bending is where the steel is bent with no leverage over a body part. Think of bending a steel bar out in front of the body. Your fingers act as the fulcrum for the bend. (Most short steel like Red nails etc.)

Braced bending is where the steel is bent braced over a body part. Think of bending a steel bar over your thigh. Here your thigh acts as the fulcrum. (most spikes, longer bars etc.)

10-12" spikes are good for braced bending. You can get these spikes easily at most hardware stores. For un-braced bending just pick up some 60d's and 1/4" cold rolled steel from a hardware store and start there.

A 10 inch spike is not a beginner's bend so if you are braced bending those you are doing outstanding.

Any bending will toughen your hands but as EJ said, you do open yourself up for injuries. 5 inch nail would be a 40d nail and like has been said, it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to bend longer stuff braced stuff, then 12 inch spikes are good to start with although many can't bend them at first.

I'm a little different in that I like bending almost anything.

Lots of good advice on this board.

Tim

Is it possible to bend the stainless steel grade 8 bolts that have a 1" diameter (the hexagonal part has a 1" diameter I mean) and is 6-7" long?

Are there paticular objects that have been bent that are more difficult than what I described above ^ ?

Edited by ChimpGrip

You mean the bolt head has a 1" diameter? There is the famous ones like the red and gold nail and then there is the fbbc stuff like the bastards etc..

Ofcoarse its possible to bend a grade 8 bolt but you will have trouble with it if you have just started and im sure everyone else will agree.

Chimpgrip, if it's a stainless bolt, then it's not a grade 8. Grade 8 bolts are heat treated alloy steel and grade 5 bolts are heat treated carbon steel. Stainless bolts are harder than grade 2 but much easier than grade 5.

Are you talking about braced bending or unbraced? The toughest steel has been bent braced of course. I've braced bent a 8 inch by 3/8 inch G5 bolt on several occasions and I believe those calibrated at 765 or 745 pounds. I got a 3/8 grade 8 moving in my Sunday dress pants and quit and had intended to go back to it after changing clothes. That never happened but I believe that cal'd at 865. Tough to say how the bolt you're referring to would be.

• Like 1

My mistake.

How do you bend the short 3 inch stainless steel bolts? I can't get a good grip on it

Most benders don't go that short.

Sounds like your interested in bending and overall strongman type stuff so I always think that the first major goal should be a decent 60d in quickly applied thinner wraps. Reason is that it's a classic feat of strength and I've let many a stout guy try my 60d nails and I've never had anybody bend one. Bending a 60d will still drop jaws even though it's not very elite among those on this board.

I'd concentrate on 5 inch and above stock. When you bend the 5 inch nails, do you feel that it's easy or near your maximum potential right now? Knowing where you're at will help us to advise you.

• 2 weeks later...

I will look for some 60d nails at one of my local hardware stores. Should I look Into buying iron mind nails too?

The 5 inch nails are easy. I'm working on straightening them out (trying to)

What is a KOABB? If I wrote it out write

Edited by ChimpGrip

lol man im not trying to be rude but are you messing with us.

No I am not! I wouldn't waste time on this damn board if I wasn't serious. Sure I've asked things that can be easily seen as ridiculous, but like anyone else in any sport/hobby, I want to learn.

I will look for some 60d nails at one of my local hardware stores. Should I look Into buying iron mind nails too?

The 5 inch nails are easy. I'm working on straightening them out (trying to)

KOAB is king of all bastards if I'm not mistaken.

It's the King Of All Bastards. And it's tough. It is 7x3/8" 1018 CRS. It took me 13 KOABs and almost 3 months of very specific training to finally kill one. And when I finally did it, I fractured a bone in my wrist on the crush. I was in a soft cast for almost 3 months, couldn't do a hard cast due to my job and carrying a gun. It was easier to hide with a glove. Hard cast would have brought the healing time down to 6 weeks. While in the cast I was still bending. I bent a SS 5/16 hex and 3 reds back to back.

• Like 1

No I am not! I wouldn't waste time on this damn board if I wasn't serious. Sure I've asked things that can be easily seen as ridiculous, but like anyone else in any sport/hobby, I want to learn.

Don't worry bro. We all want to learn. I know what it's like to be excited about something new. But I can also understand why it was asked. 3" bolts are improbable and worthless IMO to bend. Remember we all need to crawl, walk, then run. There Is nothing wrong with your questions, but some seem kind of outlandish. I'm a firm believer that anything is possible. Bending things in your teeth is possible. Bending 3" bolts is possible. Hell, bending a 6" x 1/2" x 1/2" railroad tie is possible. The question is, how far are you willing to push and how many bones are you willing to break.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

To ChimpGip

I would suggest you spend some time reading the posts here that interest you before asking many of your questions. The search function can help you find the answers to many of the questions you ask also. Truthfully you have been here long enough now that you should know a lot of this stuff and rightly or wrongly you are coming across as a troll.

Well I know I'm trying to better myself as a strength athlete, and I don't give a damn if I'm seen as a troll by some.

I'm here to ask, learn, and get better. I'm happy as long as I'm getting the excellent input I've gotten.

Edited by ChimpGrip

Don't worry bro. We all want to learn. I know what it's like to be excited about something new. But I can also understand why it was asked. 3" bolts are improbable and worthless IMO to bend. Remember we all need to crawl, walk, then run. There Is nothing wrong with your questions, but some seem kind of outlandish. I'm a firm believer that anything is possible. Bending things in your teeth is possible. Bending 3" bolts is possible. Hell, bending a 6" x 1/2" x 1/2" railroad tie is possible. The question is, how far are you willing to push and how many bones are you willing to break.

I'm certainly willing to go the distance and beyond. But I need to learn more how it's done, once I reach that point, then I can push it beyond the limit. But again I have to know what I'm doing

It's the King Of All Bastards. And it's tough. It is 7x3/8" 1018 CRS. It took me 13 KOABs and almost 3 months of very specific training to finally kill one. And when I finally did it, I fractured a bone in my wrist on the crush. I was in a soft cast for almost 3 months, couldn't do a hard cast due to my job and carrying a gun. It was easier to hide with a glove. Hard cast would have brought the healing time down to 6 weeks. While in the cast I was still bending. I bent a SS 5/16 hex and 3 reds back to back.

Is the KOAB the very hardest bend? Someone told me it is.

What does it look like?

The best thing to do is take the time to research. There is a ton of info and videos on this forum and youtube. Thats what I did. when you really enjoy something u FIND time to do some homework. Im not trying to tell u not to ask questions, I do all the time and people on this site are really helpful.

Edited by IJames87

YouTube people bending the koab and there is the Big King of all bastards and Mother of all bastards

The hardest bend is most certainly certing the gold nail, some of the strongest men on Earth have seriously hurt themselves going for that cert. With that being said EJ, Tommy J, JT and Paul K have all bent it. We can wonder all we like about what is possible, but first catch up to the Titans as I like to call them, then wonder. Until then just search their posts.

Check this out. http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERBAG1.html

The less people listed the harder the bend. The KOAB is FAR from the hardest bend. I have my sights set on the King Of All Shinny Bastards. It's 303L stainless 7x3/8" and around 800-850lbs on the kink.

Right now the gold nail under cert rules is the hardest bend IMO. It broke me the first time I made a real run at it. Nothing else has ever broke me that bad.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1