Thomas Inch Dumbbell & 135 Lb. Inch: Paradoxical Deloading Guessti

odin

Here's my semi-educated based on experience/wild-ass guess of how paradoxical deloading (weights on finger-side) and rotation-increasing (weights on thumb-side) works on the Inch and the 135-pounder. The calculation is messed up some for the smaller Inch because the globes are smaller, but at least this should give you an idea where you are. I think it is logarithmic relationship, not linear, at least based on my experience adding weight to the finger side of the Inch. As you add more weight to the finger side, it seems to have less of an effect. ~25-30 lbs. the spin is neutralized. Add 45 lbs. and it rolls back into your palm. Any physics majors who can apply the formula for rotational inertia out there who can help us get a more exact formula would be greatly appreciated by all the struggling Thomas Inch DB trainers striving for a full deadlift.

Here's three examples of my training PRs:

1. Decent ROM-Thomas Inch DB +4.4 lbs paradoxical deload: 172 DB -(4.4*3) +4.4 lbs.= 172 DB -13.2+4.4= 163.2 lbs. app, difficulty.
  2. One Foot ROM Thomas Inch DB +2.5 lbs paradoxical deload: 172 DB -(2.5*3) +2.5 lbs.= 172 DB -7.5+ 2.5= 167 lbs. app, difficulty. gallery_3446_59_36735.jpeg
  3. 135 lb. globe DB + 10 lb. thumb-side load (increases rotation): 135+(10*3)=165 lbs. app, difficulty. (note, weight not added again to make up for smaller globe width as my will-ass guess correction for this).

This should help give you some guidance as to how close you may be to a full Inch lift. Of course, this will have more credibility once a full lift is attained w/ the Thomas Inch DB.

While not perfect, this should help give you a guideline to how close you are if you're able to get full lifts w/ weight on the finger side of the Thomas Inch DB. At the very least, others should be able to build from this first attempt at defining Inch progression.

• Like 3

This is awesome stuff Bob!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to share what you have learned and believe is the case with adding weight to the bells!!!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

This is awesome stuff Bob!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to share what you have learned and believe is the case with adding weight to the bells!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks David. Always wished there was a roadmap to what is needed to get to a full Inch lift and a way to tell where you are along the way. Hopefully, this provides more interesting fodder for discussion than "how much do I need to lift on the RT to DL the Inch?" and provide more hope than this post:

Steve told me that you should be pulling 'at least' around 225lbs on a RT, to lift the INCH>. So much for short, or medium term ey?

If thats true, I abandon all hope right now.

• Like 1

Interesting read Bob! That behemoth will be lifted soon good sir!!!

• Like 2

By all of you guys I'd say.

• Like 1

By all of you guys I'd say.

Thanks Jason and Robert! They all have the ability, despite hand sizes near 7.5". Should all be able to get there w/ this "road map" if they want it bad enough and are willing to make it their top training goal.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing! In your opinion is thick bar best trained multiple times a week or just once a week?

It depends on your goals. Do you want to specialize in thickbar until you attain a particular goal, or just get better at it along with other grip work?

Specialize in it. I do some wrist work as well for armwrestling like wrist curls and some front levering but that's about it. I really need and want to bring up my thick bar.

In short, the biggest mistake I made was waiting until I felt "recovered" from Inch work, which was about 10 days because I did so much work in one training day. Once you figure out what affects your nervous system differently, you can do thickbar more than once a week, even several days in a row if you are "advanced..Developing pinch, fingertip and supporting finger strength, plus forearm and wrist strength will contribute greatly to your thickbar ability.

• Like 1

Thanks odin! I think thats been my biggest mistake is training it too infrequently. I usually hit it 1xwk and its not working. I'll start increasing frequency and see what happens.

Thanks odin! I think thats been my biggest mistake is training it too infrequently. I usually hit it 1xwk and its not working. I'll start increasing frequency and see what happens.

Just make sure you are doing contraspecific work once in awhile and ramp up slowly. I've found reverse wrist curls useful on off-days to prevent elbow tendonitis.

No. I do change things up periodically to work on specific weaknesses. I am at the point where, if i sit quietly before the workout, "know" what I need to work on that day a the result of an instinctive, contemplative process that I go through.

I did no thickbar work (except a little work with David Horne's adjustable thickbar, which is great for Inch-specific finger strength) and did not train w/ the Inch from the end of May until a few weeks ago. I spent the summer addressing finger weaknesses one or more days per week. My first workout back with the Inch I was mostly getting only little hops and only got it knee-high on my best attempt. The second workout I had a handful of good lifts. At the very end of the third Inch workout, which involved at least a dozen full lifts, I did this:

gallery_3446_59_378872.png

You should be able to do this and more with consistent effort and addressing weaknesses over time. I am 55 y.o., weigh about the same (sometimes less) than the Inch and have average (<7 &3/4") hands w/ ~9" thumb to little finger span.

• Like 3

Bob, your strength is amazing, and your contributions to help others is awesome. I have never read anything written by your that puts down others, you only lift other up. I respect the hell out you man.

• Like 1

Bob, your strength is amazing, and your contributions to help others is awesome. I have never read anything written by your that puts down others, you only lift other up. I respect the hell out you man.

Thank you Casey, that means a lot to me.