Why I'm Not Fond Of Grippers Anymore

Volko Krull

Autoplus, not sure I completely know what your saying. Would you mind going into a bit more detail, because as you put it. I do feel as though I'm regressing and getting nowhere

Pay attention to what people are saying, read what is there, not what you want to be there!

It's Autolupus not Autoplus!

Base level is what you can do with sub 100%, usually around 75-80% of max should give you a good idea. You will not be hitting PRs every workout, so long as your average trend is increasing then you are progressing.

Peak power will peak and trough all over the place but your base strength should be a more stable indication.

• Like 2

Autoplus, not sure I completely know what your saying. Would you mind going into a bit more detail, because as you put it. I do feel as though I'm regressing and getting nowhere

Pay attention to what people are saying, read what is there, not what you want to be there!

Base level is what you can do with sub 100%, usually around 75-80% of max should give you a good idea. You will not be hitting PRs every workout, so long as your average trend is increasing then you are progressing.

Peak power will peak and trough all over the place but your base strength should be a more stable indication.

Good point Mike. I also tend to forget that sometimes.

Didn't realise, I'm on my phone so predictive txt writes what it wants. Thanks for clearing that up. I think it would be useful if I had a few more 'in between' grippers. When I get a few more I'm going to get them calibrated to so I know what I'm working with Edited by alexjones234

Here's the other thing, it's one thing for Chris to say he doesn't like grippers or thinks there are better ways to achieve the same results. He's obviously got insane hand strength no matter how you measure it, and I think that's the point. It doesn't matter how you get the strength, just that it's there for you when you need it.

• Like 1

Always leave something in the tank.I am starting to understand this quote only after 6 years of training.

And read up about the central nervous system: It will give you the reason why you don't always do your best. It's more about that than anything.

Your mind isn't always firing with your body; if you can learn how to use your CNS, you will be training like the best athletes in the world.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 3/18/2014 at 8:02 PM, Cannon said:

I love grippers so much. Closing them is very satisfying to me. Therapeutic practically. I like to hold them and not even close them. Here is a haiku about grippers:

A worthy challenge

Rock the awesome crush power

This spring finally falls

(Haikus traditionally reference the seasons, see what I did there ;) )

Possibly the best poem on the entire Gripboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2014 at 11:36 AM, MadMardegan said:

For example, the increase people experienced in the euro pinch after having a session with Climber511.

That's for sure!  Experienced that phenomenon 10 years after this thread started and got 20 pounds on my Euro in 20 minutes.

As for the OP comments about grippers, I am team grippers.  It is the only thing I train, yet my other grip lifts get better gradually without training.  I would agree if someone said that if I trained those other things, my results on them would improve faster, which is obvious because you will improve most on what you train.  But then if I did that and didn't train grippers, my grippers might still improve some along the way.  I don't think grip lovers have to be gripper lovers, but grippers are the gateway drug into this addictive sport, and they are the cake that keeps me looking for the icing of new implements to try.  For others, they may be the icing on a different cake.  It's all cake.  Mmmm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sid_arnes said:

Possibly the best poem on the entire Gripboard?

You say that right now

But I was not a member

In twenty-fourteen.

Edited by Vinnie

One thing I really like about grippers is my recovery time seems to be far faster than for anything else.

Spring time in springtime

I will close a number four

My hand aches greatly

• Like 3

I seem to have become well known as “the anti gripper guy”.  I think a little additional explanation might be in order.  To be more specific I don’t like TSG’s – for reasons I have talked about at length.  I have and regularly use an ISG (Ivanko Super Gripper) to maintain adequate crush strength.  No “setting” required.  I imagine there may be someone out there who might need a stronger setting than 2 springs offer but I'm certainly not that guy.  Back when I was actually trying to increase my TSG close I probably did more "finger curls" than gripper closes.  Which might explain why my "set" was so terrible - but my hand strength kept going up overall.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2