Who Started Where?

AbsuM

Let's see, I started training Grip in early May 2006 if I remember right. I started with a #2 close RH, and Trainer LH, was not able to close #1 LH initially mostly due to old wrist injury on that side. Still has my LH behind my RH on all grip lifts. My best closes have been in the 194-195 range RH MMS, both Easier #4 and MM6 Dup. Also got within a hair of closing 199# #4 about a year ago at last contest MMS. Best CCS RH 169# #3.5. Best TNS 159# BBE RH. LH Best was a hair off closing 169# #3.5 MMS. Though both sides considerably weaker right now.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I struggled at first to even get a 2 close. I found out later it was a hard 2. Took me a LONG time to close a 3. I would say at least a year maybe 2. I would have to go back to training logs. It took very hard specialization which resulted in KTA being thought of to think "outside the box" of normal training. Normal training DID NOT get it done for me. Normal in the sense of frequency and rest time specifically. I also had to hit every possible angle of the close so to speak as far as exercises.

I gain slowly in grippers too.

I tred RRBT and I got stronger faster than ever had but I got elbowpain doing that much volume so I dont think I dare to try it again.

Im afraid that I will hurt myself and not be able to train grip.

Same goes for KTA.

Do you think KTA is worse or better in terms of overuse injuries?

Peter, I could be wrong but I thought elbow pain was a common "injury" as a result of not training the extenser muscles while doing grippers. I would like to hear more if there is any more input.

I never finished RRBT but I did complete KTA and KTA left my skin feeling alot more sore for a lack of a better word.

I can't remember if I could close the #1 or not, I do know the #2 was not possible (the .5's did not exist at the time). I quickly bought a Trainer and Sport in order to train reps in my journey to the #2, 2.5 and beyond.

• Like 1

It really surpises me that so many of you could easily close the #2 the first time or within a few weeks. Most people who try my grippers can't even close the #1! So far I haven't met anybody who could close the #2. Only one that came close was my nephew (manual labour).

What are your experiences with other people trying your grippers?

I can't remember if I could close the #1 or not, I do know the #2 was not possible (the .5's did not exist at the time). I quickly bought a Trainer and Sport in order to train reps in my journey to the #2, 2.5 and beyond.

I find it very comforting to know that you were not a 'monster' gripster right from the start Andrew! Gives me hope. :-)

• Like 1

It really surpises me that so many of you could easily close the #2 the first time or within a few weeks. Most people who try my grippers can't even close the #1! So far I haven't met anybody who could close the #2. Only one that came close was my nephew (manual labour).

I have let several people in my gym try out my grippers. Not one person has fully closed the #1 yet, but a couple people got very close. Of course they didn't know how to properly set the gripper either though.

i know right!

I struggled at first to even get a 2 close. I found out later it was a hard 2. Took me a LONG time to close a 3. I would say at least a year maybe 2. I would have to go back to training logs. It took very hard specialization which resulted in KTA being thought of to think "outside the box" of normal training. Normal training DID NOT get it done for me. Normal in the sense of frequency and rest time specifically. I also had to hit every possible angle of the close so to speak as far as exercises.

I gain slowly in grippers too.

I tred RRBT and I got stronger faster than ever had but I got elbowpain doing that much volume so I dont think I dare to try it again.

Im afraid that I will hurt myself and not be able to train grip.

Same goes for KTA.

Do you think KTA is worse or better in terms of overuse injuries?

Peter, I could be wrong but I thought elbow pain was a common "injury" as a result of not training the extenser muscles while doing grippers. I would like to hear more if there is any more input.

I never finished RRBT but I did complete KTA and KTA left my skin feeling alot more sore for a lack of a better word.

I didnt care about tears in the skin. I bled while doing RRBT. I tok duct tape and taped the handle going into the fingers and I taped the bleeding fingers. NP!

I did extensorwork too. I think every day. Cant remember atm but I did it alot. :)

I can get elbow pain from too much armtraining while doing heavy bench etc too.

Im not saying that it didnt work, it did. Im just saying I couldnt do the program all in a row, I had to take a couple of weeks off after 2/3 through and rest and rehab my elbows. :)

I have let several people in my gym try out my grippers. Not one person has fully closed the #1 yet, but a couple people got very close. Of course they didn't know how to properly set the gripper either though.

TWO of my friends, on childhood friend and the other one a friend I hang with often could close the coc3 out of the package.

Michael from childhood closed my 153 lbs coc3 sitting down and not warmed up.

I showed him how to set it and he did. a single with coc1, coc2, coc2,5 and then my 153 lbs coc3.

I remember he was strong as a grown man when we were in junior high.

He works as a painter.

Petter, one of my best friends today, closed an easy coc3 after being shown the set. Before that he had been playing with his own coc2,5 (his only gripper) for a couple of weeks.

He works with ventilation and air conditioning.

Petter trained with my grippers once a week for like 4 months last fall. He went from easy coc3 to closing my 157lbs MM1 paralell set.

Too bad neither of them hae any real interest in training grip.

It's been mentioned already but where you started on grippers often depends on past training and job history. I did #1 and #2 L&R first try (didn't know anything about a set at that point) - I honestly believe I could have done the 2.5 also if it had existed at the time. But remember that by that point in my life I had been lifting weights well over 40 years - doing manual labor longer than that - and rock climbing for around 20 years. Something to consider is that those who like myself could do this on the first try may well have also been fairly close to as far as we can go - or we had already developed much closer to our potential than many others who did not have that type background. I struggled for years to close the #3 and have not advanced beyond that level still.

• Like 1

i would be very interested in knowing who started with what grippers. (this isn't a what gripper should you start out thread) i wonder this because i would like to know what gripper you had trouble with, for me i first bought the number 1 COC and could barely close it (1 out of 3 times i could close it) i wonder what some of the people that can close 3-4 started/had trouble with. has anyone here who closed the #3 or up ever had trouble with a number 1 or were you just ready for the 1.5/2 right off the bat?

I started off in 1992 just after Richard was certified. I got the trainer & no.1 and a week or two later the no.2. I was training on a sporting goods gripper before hand, doing reps. So I was able to close the T for 12 reps and the no.1 for 6... Back then they were silver crush, and I didn't have chalk, so they were very slippery. It took two months to get the no.2... And I was 17, at that time, it was pretty good. John Brookfield was nice enough to mention me in His first book. I first closed the no.3 in '04 when I used KTA. Then I lost it for a bit... Then started with the 2.5 and mastered that so the no.3 was nothing. Then a couple years back I was getting the no.4 down to 1/4" but my hands were giving out on me. I was awoken every night with numbness, driving my hands were numbing, washing my hair!

So I went to the Doctor, and they tested me... And said I had carpal tunnel syndrome. So I took a big break. And have made great gains using a very short, but intense workout. And have got myself back. I still get some tingle in my hands, but only when I use heavy negs. Once you find what works for you, stick with it... I do better every workout because I found what works for me. If you get stuck, that's okay... There is a workout for everyone that will keep you gaining. Just experiment... Hell, did you ever think you would see a woman get as close as some have with the 2.5? Keep going! Don't chalk it up as bad genetics... Strengthen your weakness' with your gripper by using the weaker ones palm down... Don't let that spring go up; keep it pointing left or right- with the left... It will want to point up as you get to failure. If you are working with a no.3 use the 2.5 for this exercise. It's a little that go's a long way. Use that as a finisher and I promise you'll get stronger.

• Like 1

I bought my first grippers in 2004... Trainer, 1 and 2. At the time there were no .5's, and i didn't know other brands existed. I think i closed the trainer for one or two reps, and trained for a few weeks to get the 1. The 2 felt like a brick that i would never even get down to an inch. I put them away until august 2013, when i got interested in grip training again. When i finally closed that 2, i felt amazing having done something i thought i could never do. Currently i'm knocking on the door of closing my 144 lb coc 3, and that will be another awesome moment.

Yep. And ive handed my #2 to 3 different guys who not only closed it no-set, but did so with both hands. I was able to do it with my right hand but not my left though.. If i had know how to set then i would have likely closed a 2.5 right hand, and the #2 left hand. 2 of the guys i watched close it were from my battalion. Both were 240Bravo gunners and were VERY strong all over. And one of those guys also casually pinched 2-45s in one hand while were goofing off at the gym on base. (Which i was WAY more impressed with than the #2 close) the other guy

was another mechanic that i worked with. He also was a strong dude.

And ive seen close to 15 other guys get VERY close to closing my #2 who all have never trained grip. So based off my experiences with handing people grippers, closing a #2 first try isnt quite as rare as some like to insist. ...but then again, i do tend to profile a bit. I pretty much only offer a gripper to guys who look like they stand a good chance at puttin' up.

Edit: i saw another guy i knew from high school that i hadnt seen in years not only no-set my #2, but lift an inch replica his first try as well. This was at the Coleman classic in 2012 i believe. Eric, Paul, and i think Mighty Joe were all there that day as well.

So that makes 4.

nice story bro

I attribute my ability to close a #2 right away because I was a Cement and Block Laborer since I was 15 (working with my dad). As for people I know who have tried the #2 gripper, 4 guys I worked with that I remember for sure all closed it the first time they tried. But many people have also failed at it as well. One guy I worked with in the Detroit Laborers Union could pinch grip and carry a pair of 48 pound (each) 18 inch split face corner block with each hand...all day! I couldn't even pick them up...once! No one I know personally has closed the number 3 gripper the first time they tried.

Had never tried any type of gripper before in my life and had not lifted any type of weights in about 9 years when I saw the COC grippers and decided to buy the #1. I was seriously afraid that I would not be able to close the #1 before it arrived due to my lack of training and being so out of shape. To my surprise, I was able to close it for probably 4-5 reps the first time I tried, with a half-ass set. I then ordered a #1.5 and #2 after using the #1 for about two weeks. I was able to close the #1.5 fairly easy by this time, thanks to the #1 work, and was able to get one tough single out of my #2 the first time I tried. This was before I knew anything about over-all grip training and I did only various gripper work almost every day of the week for a solid month. I then ordered RRBT with a goal of closing my #2.5 that felt like a brick.

After RRBT, and about 5 months of total gripper training, I closed my #2.5 for the first time. I am much more proud of doing this so quickly now because at the time I did not know it, but my #2.5 is at-least 130# based on other comparisons. Took me about one year of random training to get my first #3 mms close. Have not done it consistently enough, but I have touched the handles of mine which is exactly 150#.

These are great stories guys, I think threads like this will help keep the really new guys motivated. I remember when I first came on the site and I just thought that guys like Paul Knight, Aaron C., etc were probably able to close a #3 the first time they touched them.

I'm a computer geek, although been lifting weights since I was a teenager. Ordered COC #1 and #2 few years back.

Closed #1 after a day or two of messing with it, took about a month to close #2.

Ordered #2.5, couldn't close it, kind of gave up to the point where I didn't even know where my grippers were except for the #2 I kept in my car that I'd do a few reps with while driving.

Got back into gripping couple of month back, learned about the set etc. Right now I can do a few reps with #2.5 with a parallel set, about 1/8'' or so away from closing a #3.

Here's what I recall tonight. I started around 1999. I could close my #1 a couple of times or so when I started. I bought a #2 perhaps less than a year after that and could close it after about a month. I didn't train with much purpose, even though my interest was high. After I closed the #2, I bought a #3 and struggled with it for about two years or so, still not training with much purpose. I subsequently found the Gripboard and was introduced to KTA. That combination easily put me over the edge. I certed on the #3 in 2003. Couldn't have done it without the Gripboard or KTA concepts. At my best (about 2-3 years ago), I could rep an Elite, close my easy SE, and my heavily cut Elite (177#). I rarely train any more due to some bad tendonitis and other health problems. However, I can still close my all my #3's (MM set). I just checked to make sure.

Best of luck to you!

Tom

Yep. And ive handed my #2 to 3 different guys who not only closed it no-set, but did so with both hands. I was able to do it with my right hand but not my left though.. If i had know how to set then i would have likely closed a 2.5 right hand, and the #2 left hand. 2 of the guys i watched close it were from my battalion. Both were 240Bravo gunners and were VERY strong all over. And one of those guys also casually pinched 2-45s in one hand while were goofing off at the gym on base. (Which i was WAY more impressed with than the #2 close) the other guy

And ive seen close to 15 other guys get VERY close to closing my #2 who all have never trained grip. So based off my experiences with handing people grippers, closing a #2 first try isnt quite as rare as some like to insist. ...but then again, i do tend to profile a bit. I pretty much only offer a gripper to guys who look like they stand a good chance at puttin' up.

Edit: i saw another guy i knew from high school that i hadnt seen in years not only no-set my #2, but lift an inch replica his first try as well. This was at the Coleman classic in 2012 i believe. Eric, Paul, and i think Mighty Joe were all there that day as well.

So that makes 4.

nice story bro
Thanks. Your mother loved it as well.

wow are u serious? these are the kind of people on gripboard? i was being serious when i said nice story you know. just goes to show some people can't handle being on an internet forum.

So that makes 4.

nice story bro
wow are u serious? these are the kind of people on gripboard? i was being serious when i said nice story you know. just goes to show some people can't handle being on an internet forum.
Yawn. My post was as sincere as yours. ..im getting old, but i aint that old yet. I can still read into sarcasm from an adolescent, even if ever so subtle. And i addressed accordingly.

wow, your just stupid is all. that crystal ball of yours needs to be replaced because there was no sarcasm in my post. you are getting old. why would i start a thread asking for stories then be disrespectful to someone who posted a good story? and why do you want to bring up mothers? my moms still alive how bout yours? probably not...thats why your lashing out with such comments

Edited by AbsuM

So that makes 4.

nice story bro
Yawn. My post was as sincere as yours. ..im getting old, but i aint that old yet. I can still read into sarcasm from an adolescent, even if ever so subtle. And i addressed accordingly.

wow, your just stupid is all. that crystal ball of yours needs to be replaced because there was no sarcasm in my post. you are getting old. why would i start a thread asking for stories then be disrespectful to someone who posted a good story? and why do you want to bring up mothers? my moms still alive how bout yours? probably not...thats why your lashing out with such comments
Ah.. Stupid, huh? Listen kid, you may be right about my oldness (I think i may have even just spotted a grey hair earlier), but stupid? Not a chance. And your wrong about my mother. She's still kickin'. And your mom i know is good. So no need to announce her health. We talked earlier. ..and you should really go clean your room. And take out the trash. Because she keeps calling me to vent, and i can hardly bear it because my rocker on the porch needs tendin' to cuz my old bones are on the fritz. So please, do as she says from now on.

Oh and one more thing... I may be getting old, but your balls dont even touch your underwear yet, son.

You claim to be old but it's obvious you never grew up

These kind of comments have no place on this board.

I rarely train any more due to some bad tendonitis and other health problems. However, I can still close my all my #3's (MM set). I just checked to make sure.

Get rid of the tendonitis and get back in the game? :)

• Like 1

So that makes 4.

nice story bro
Ah.. Stupid, huh? Listen kid, you may be right about my oldness (I think i may have even just spotted a grey hair earlier), but stupid? Not a chance. And your wrong about my mother. She's still kickin'. And your mom i know is good. So no need to announce her health. We talked earlier. ..and you should really go clean your room. And take out the trash. Because she keeps calling me to vent, and i can hardly bear it because my rocker on the porch needs tendin' to cuz my old bones are on the fritz. So please, do as she says from now on.

Oh and one more thing... I may be getting old, but your balls dont even touch your underwear yet, son.

your very immature for your age. I'm done talking to you.

Edited by AbsuM

I believe that was able to close the #2 the first time I tried it because I had been training with weights for 20 years already and had never relied on straps for any of the pulling exercises such as deadlifts, rows and pullups I did.