Who Started Where?

AbsuM

i would be very interested in knowing who started with what grippers. (this isn't a what gripper should you start out thread) i wonder this because i would like to know what gripper you had trouble with, for me i first bought the number 1 COC and could barely close it (1 out of 3 times i could close it) i wonder what some of the people that can close 3-4 started/had trouble with. has anyone here who closed the #3 or up ever had trouble with a number 1 or were you just ready for the 1.5/2 right off the bat?

Think I read somewhere that paul knight had problems wth 1.5 when he started :)

I was around coc 1.5-2 when I started.

My best close so far is the 157 lbs MM1 and a hair from closing the BB Elite 161 lbs.

• Like 1

Started off when I was around 15 and could do a #1.5 level for 5 or 6 reps stopped for a year and then started up again after a year of strength training and could do a #2, then a few years of proper grip training I reached higher levels :grin:

• Like 1

Started at 16 at ~150lb bodyweight. Got the #2 first because I thought I was strong, but I couldn't close it. My friend got a #1, and I couldn't close that at first either. I closed the #1 in short order. Closed the #2 when I was 17. Closed an easy #3 at 20. Closed my personal #3 (tough) also at 20 (maybe 21?) and 160lb bodyweight.

Currently 24 and still at roughly the same level on grippers (tough #3 either hand). Plenty of guys get to at least a #3 after having started at a #1 or so.

One thing to remember is that most guys that are "naturals" have been indirectly training their hands for years either by living the hard life or by training areas other than grip. Not many guys can close a #2 starting out when they've been doing nothing but watching TV and working a desk job their whole life. Pretty much all the "naturals" have been eating big and doing something physically taxing. Some people are freaks but many have just put in a lot of hard work in some form or fashion that translated into a decent grip. If you haven't been beating the hell out of yourself for years, don't be discouraged if you start out at a lower level than others. You can catch up. Also, if you're young, your grip will get better like magic as you get into your early 20's.

• Like 2

ive been training on and off grippers for about 4 years. mostly off for the best part of a year. but i couldnt close the trainer right out of the packet. closed it within a few days or a week, cant quite remember. i had to use a hose clamp to close the 1.5, but now im closing the #2 for about 4 reps per hand. still a pup but i plan on sticking with it this time round. next goal is the #2.5, then ill be going for the #3. if i can reach the #3 ill be happy.

I closed the 1, 2, and 2.5 the first day I received them. The #3 seemed to be on a totally different level and only managed a squeeze to parallel on the first day. My best so far has been a 1/8" from the handles touching. My set is terrible and have tried watching videos on how to properly set, but only seems to make it worse :) I prefer to TNS my grippers so one day, I'll get the #3 TNS comfortably and get certified. Need to dust it off and get to training again :) Good luck brother.

I bought a #1 in 04' and could do ten reps with it out of the package. I ordered a #2 shortly after and could only do 1 rep out of the package. My best close to date is a GHP level 6. I'm not a #3 or #4 closer, but I thought I would chime in anyways just to round the discussion out a bit(hope you don't mind).

I bought a 1 and 2 in like 03-04 and was able to close both right away the day I got them. But the two was not an easy close for me by any means.

I then got the 3 a month or so later and was not really close. It took awhile to close it.

They did not have the .5 grippers then.

I was working hands on jobs before that and also lifted in the gym regularly.

• Like 1

I smashed the number 2 the first time I tried

• Like 1

I seen a ad in the back of a gun magazine for coc grippers went online

ordered the no.2 and closed it the first try. Not much long

after i got the 2.5 and got it closed a few days after i got it.

if i can reach the #3 ill be happy.

Whenever you come close, not even achieve your goals, it is hard not to set bigger goals.

You will probably never be satisfied. - humor

Edited by JHenze646

Have no manual labour background but had been training in the gym and generally being active for years. Closed the #1 TNS out of the packet, used it for a few weeks, bought the #2 and closed it TNS out of the packet. Trained with it for a while, bought the #3 and could barely get it to parallel. About a year later got my #3 CCS close.

• Like 1

April 2011, received #1. Barely closed it with my Right (dominant) hand.

Two weeks later I managed my first lefty close of the #1 and my first close of the #2 righty.

6 months later I got my first #2.5 close...

11 months AFTER that...I got my first #3 close righty.

Currently can MMS in the low 170s righty with a few 150 closes lefty.

• Like 3

I was around a 2 starting out.. I had a cheapo set and the toughest one was about 100ish RGC. Was stuck for about a year at that level with bending and everything. After I got injured I focused just on grip and overall strength and 2.5 and 3 got closed in short order. My first 3 close was about after year of grip training.

I bought a COC 1, 2, & 3 starting out (1 month ago). I closed the 1 and 2 out of the package without knowing how to set it properly, couldn't even get to parallel with the 3 though. I 'm only a couple a cm away from the #3 now and the smallest fraction away from a Grand Master rated at 146!

I worked at a body shop for 5 years. I assume that plus weight training is why I could close the #2 my first try.

Got a trainer and a #1 in 2011. Could close the #1 with my right hand for 1-3 times out of the box, but couldn't close it with my left hand. Took me about a year before I could close the #2 with my right hand. Last september I came to a whisker from closing the #3 mms style. Right now I'm struggling with a tennis elbow so my gripper strenght is way off. I have been training with weights for about 20 years, but I have a desktop job.

I struggled at first to even get a 2 close. I found out later it was a hard 2. Took me a LONG time to close a 3. I would say at least a year maybe 2. I would have to go back to training logs. It took very hard specialization which resulted in KTA being thought of to think "outside the box" of normal training. Normal training DID NOT get it done for me. Normal in the sense of frequency and rest time specifically. I also had to hit every possible angle of the close so to speak as far as exercises.

• Like 1

I was able to close a #2 the first time I tried it for one difficult rep. It took me two full years to move from the #2 to the #3. That was back in the days of no "in between" grippers to work with, except for a tough Beefbuilder Master gripper. For me, creative training was necessary to make my move from the #2 to the #3.

Originally ordered a #1 and #2 in June 2006. I got the #1 shut out of the package, maybe for reps. #2 was about a 1/2" gap!

Aug 2006 I got the #2 shut and took this picture:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1156253518/gallery_9552_555_40075.jpg

Jan 2007 I was still struggling with my Tetting SM and wondering if it was hard. I met with a friend who brought a #2.5 and I DESTROYED it. Confirmed the SM was hard. I lifted this still from the video, which is now a broken link.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1167095323/gallery_9552_555_14395.jpg

Jun 2007 I finally closed my Tetting SM and got this video. 1 year of training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48xQwBU780

Sept 2007 I got this Tetting GM shut. Here is a near miss video and I closed it 2 days later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOS_5ZBGKFY

Apr 2008 I remember having Chris Mathison over to my house shortly after moving there in March of 2008. I got what I considered my first "legit" #3 close. I had done my MM0 cert on a fairly easy borrowed gripper.

Sept 2010 was my MM1 cert. 4+ years of solid, dedicated, focused gripper training.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=35467

Now, after about 8 years of grip training, grippers are down from my all time max of 164. That was an Elite close. But many other lifts are up and continuing to improve. My first 4 years of grip training was almost exclusively grippers. I rarely did any other kind of training.

• Like 3

I struggled at first to even get a 2 close. I found out later it was a hard 2. Took me a LONG time to close a 3. I would say at least a year maybe 2. I would have to go back to training logs. It took very hard specialization which resulted in KTA being thought of to think "outside the box" of normal training. Normal training DID NOT get it done for me. Normal in the sense of frequency and rest time specifically. I also had to hit every possible angle of the close so to speak as far as exercises.

I gain slowly in grippers too.

I tred RRBT and I got stronger faster than ever had but I got elbowpain doing that much volume so I dont think I dare to try it again.

Im afraid that I will hurt myself and not be able to train grip.

Same goes for KTA.

Do you think KTA is worse or better in terms of overuse injuries?

great story and pics cannon, very inspiring to someone who also struggled with the number 2 at first. (i struggled with the number 1 too i guess)

I could close #1 and 1.5# first time trying (had no idea how to hold and close a gripper though). Did 3 real/serious workouts and then closed #2. Still had no idea how to set the thing and where to put it in my hand etc. About 3 months later I closed #2.5, and about 9 months after that #3, which is more or less my max right now (can get 2 mms reps on a good day). I were a bit stronger a year ago when my max was my MM2 replica.

Edited by Norden

Was able to TNS a #1.5 out of the package and could close a #2 with a set. Couple of months later I closed a #2.5 with a set but I haven't really done any consistent grip training or lifting since, to be honest. I've got a lot of goals this year though so I'll be getting serious in the coming weeks