2014 February - CoC #3 Certification Attempt - anwnate

anwnate

Hey grip peeps.

I recently contacted IM for my #3 Cert and was assigned none other Steve Weiner. We talked a bit back and forth trying to secure a date that worked for both of us. I really wanted my wife there (as she has been incredibly supportive), which relegated us to a weekend. After realizing this could be pushed back to March…upon the grippers arrival in time…we decided to just make it tonight.

Steve Weiner was kind enough to open his house for my attempt, but alas I attempted and failed my CoC #3 Certification.

We started at his home gym…which is something to behold. It's a bit of awesomeness filled with strong man/man cave goodness. I wanted to explore it, but I was distracted by the impending cert. Needless to say…it was filled with rare items, great pictures and braced bent objects adorning the walls.

However…I was pretty cold so I requested to go into the house for the cert. I did some bodyweight squats in the kitchen…a couple of squeezes on my #1 and a couple of closes with my #146 #3. When I tried (as usual) to MMS my #170 MM2…I was shocked by how far I missed. At this point I was concerned that my last max effort attempts(and closes) on Wednesday (4x170mms + 3x153 ccs)…was too soon to follow up with this Cert. attempt.

Regardless, it was time to perform. My first attempt…I think I missed by an 1/8 or less…but was surprised at how easy the set was. I immediately assessed the gripper at around 150-151 (rgc from CPW) so I was pretty optimistic that this cert was in the bag. I think Steve commented something to the same affect.

The second attempt was a poor set…and was at least a 1/4" miss.

The third attempt…was a pretty close miss. (Maybe a mm or so)

At this point I was pretty rattled…I actually don't remember how close the rest came…probably between 1/8 and 1/4"…but none of them made Steve have to get in close at all.

I think after attempt 5…I stated out loud that I failed the Cert.

I attempted twice more…and by now my pinky (which I had been chalking to soak into the tears) was completely done.

I couldn't in good conscience take the gripper home with me...so I left it on the counter in disgust.

Steve was a consummate gentleman and ref. He welcomed me, my wife, daughter and father-in-law into his home and was nothing but supportive and friendly.

Although I've CCS'd #3's over 50 times at this point, I had an off-day with poor timing. I plan on returning to my Gold Nail Bending Journey…and licking my gripper wounds. I will attempt the #3 cert again when I start TNSing my #3's…there-by eliminating an off-day failure.

My family ended up going to a nearby 5 Guys after my fail…food has a way of making me feel better. I want to send out thank you's to all those who sent supportive messages both before and after the cert. attempt. It means a lot to share this journey with others. J

Here's a pic of my pinky before dinner.

0o70.jpg

And…here's a pic of my pinky after washup and loose skin removal…at a nearby "Old Fashioned Ice Cream" Parlor.

With the introduction of good icecream into my system...I was able to look at this more philosophically...and stop beating myself up.

Let it not be said that I didn't give it a true effort.

n6ey.jpg

Just doing the cert attempt, fail or pass, is pretty badass dude. And it sounds like you really have it everything.

Recover, grow, and you'll slay that beast another day!

• Like 3

Great effort, some days it's just not going to happen, rest up and get after it again later. I always had good luck taking a full week to two weeks off the heavy stuff and only doing light to medium grippers before certs.

Steve is awesome, one of the best people I know.

• Like 3

You're one of the most persistent guys I have ever met. You will bounce back and kill this cert as well as others.

• Like 5

Just a bump in the road brother!!!

All you can do is give it your all,and we all know you did that...

You'll be back and like you said there will be no doubts...

• Like 2

I knew when i got the MM2 in the mail i was having a off day

and i was.. buy hey good thing is you will get another

chance and not getting it this time will drive you even

harder for the next attempt! Keep your head up and i

no its gonna be easy bud! Kill it=]

• Like 3

• Like 3

Sorry man. Nothing but an off day. Back to more important matters goldbarflashdrive_11_zpscd2f3788.jpg

Ha i guard that stuff for a living lol me and my glock27 :)
  • Like 2

Don't let the psychological affects of failing haunt you. Just get yourself ready for next time... And take a mulligan. You are doing things right, to even be that far... So keep going.

Good luck!

• Like 1

It was a pleasure to have met Mr. Brouse (a real humble gentleman) and his family and my honor to act as his referee. I will tell you that he is the real deal and he just had an off day. He really gave it his all today. The way his warmups went, it really looked like the certifcation was an afterthought at that point. That is how strong he looked in warmups. I really wanted him to succeed, and although it did not work out for him today, I fully expect to see his name on the COC #3 list very soon. He came so close on his third attempt, that I would have been hard pressed to have fit a piece of paper in between the handles of the gripper. The handles were as close together as they could be without actually touching. Keep at it, and you will get it! Meanwhile, kill that Gold Nail!

Edited by 3Crusher
  • Like 5

That was a great write up. Sounds like a great place to do a cert . Id love to see the strongman man cave.

Keep at it and you will get it. :chris:

• Like 1

Nathaniel, you have helped so many guys on this board with they're training and it hurts me to read this, since I know how bad you and I want this. You have gained a lot of strength lately and indeed, this was nothing more than a recovery thing. Just timing...but that's with knowledge afterwards. I am sorry to read this but you have the power to pull it off. Big respect for stepping up, this cert was not by any means a gamble, you just had an off day/was not fully recovered. Otherwise you pulled it off.

• Like 2

You'll get that cert, just an off day! Good luck on the Gold nail etc. man

• Like 1

You'll get it for sure the next time! I bet you'll get a big rebound in strength if you rest and do some light gripper closes the next few days and then go for a new PR.

• Like 1

Sounds like you took some great attempts on that gripper. No doubt you have the strength to smash it. I really hope to see you nail this certification in the very near future!

• Like 1

Just an off day mate :) You'll get it next time for sure :rock

• Like 1

Don't sweat it. Just a matter of time until you get another chance and destroy it!

• Like 1

A valiant try , no excuses, prepared and faced with an off day you sucked it up and on new TNS plan set. To be admired! If anyone to be the judge with the passion and backround it is Steve Weiner. Be proud of your efforts heal up a bt, soak those hands in Empsom salts, train in a worst case scenerio....then the rewards of dedication will come. Best of luck! R Sorin

• Like 1

The road to success I everything but straight!

Shit happens :)

Next time you know what to expect aswell, maybe you wont be nervous at all then. :)

• Like 1