Nats Qualifier Log: Cannon

Cannon

Grippers felt really good today. 145 was easy and I really wished I had a 150 with at the gym.

Did more of the finger curls that Chris Rice has been talking about. I love it.

A blizzard likely delayed delivery of my 45 hex. Maybe today.

Grippers felt really good today. 145 was easy and I really wished I had a 150 with at the gym.

Did more of the finger curls that Chris Rice has been talking about. I love it.

A blizzard likely delayed delivery of my 45 hex. Maybe today.

Nice log and progress.I noticed you have very good fingertip strength Matt and have a weight-class WR in the rim lift, so I'd bet you're very strong on the finger curls as well.

I will get the post up guys. It is started. I need to shoot one more video clip to complete it and then do some writing and it will be ready, hopefully this week.

Nice log and progress.I noticed you have very good fingertip strength Matt and have a weight-class WR in the rim lift, so I'd bet you're very strong on the finger curls as well.

Thanks Bob. That was a lift I had never trained too. I remember mostly being worried about injury in that contest. I think a couple British athletes had severe tendon injuries and I was worried. I was conservative with my open weight and didn't have any idea about a max.

45# hex arrived. I love this thing. Best feeling block weight I have touched, bar none. It's an Ivanko weight.

I didn't really warm up and got a decent lift with very light assistance. I just pushed on my thumb with the other hand. I did a killer grip workout this weekend so fully recovered I might have a chance. Otherwise it will be fun to train for this!

I forgot to post some updates from last week. I had a really low energy week, was sick, stayed home from work one day and this carried through to the weekend. I only got in one lazy, unfocused workout but did attempt some singles of a 150# GM. Best misses were about 1/8". I think I'll get this very soon as grippers continue to rise.

I still have not given the 45# hex an honest effort with fresh hands. Maybe this weekend!

I still have not given the 45# hex an honest effort with fresh hands. Maybe this weekend!

After years of being conjoined, and now separated from his brother...I think you need to spend some quality time with him.

It's twin got some air time today. Don't keep him grounded. ;)

• Like 3

Nate that was awesome.

Heh...thanks. I didn't want to hi-jack your thread, but at the same time wanted to motivate you. I definitely agree...that Ivanko has a good feel to it. Looking forward to your qualifier vid. :)

You motivated me!

(Had my 5yo working the camera.)

Take 1

Take 2 (yes she called me buttski)

• Like 6

Haha ...awesome man. OWNED it.

Another Lift Bites the Dust!

Props to the Camera Lady. "Daddy's workout area." :)

Yeah! Nice lifts, both you and nate. Your daughter is so cute, almost makes me want to settle down and have a family....almost :D

• Like 1

buttski,

that 45 looks super narrow. how wide is it? also, super good control in the vid.

buttski,

that 45 looks super narrow. how wide is it? also, super good control in the vid.

It's actually a very weird hex block weight.

Instead of providing exact 90deg side grip points...the sides flare (albeit a bit less) like a blob.

Each side is widest at the exact middle (3 3/4"...basically the width of the cylinder part of the Blob50) then tapers to each corner (3 1/2").

However...the block itself is pretty tall, leading to much less flaring on each side.

The cut side (thumb set probably) only flares 3/8", the opposite side flares out 1/2".

So at it's widest grab point it would be 4 5/8"...but I'm not sure anyone has hands big enough pinch it at it's exact middle.

DSCF2291_zps50de1dff.jpg

After cutting it, I had assumed I would manhandle it right away and was surpised that it wasn't the case.

However...after applying chalk and giving it a stern talking to, it decided to become my bitch afterall. ;)

It's got a nice feel to it. I think I'll be on the lookout for the heavier version of this Ivanko DB.

• 2 weeks later...

So I can pretty much dominate that 45# Hex. I'm looking to maybe trade up for a heavier one. I think all Adam Glass' block weights are still around even though he moved to FL. I might check that out. I think a 50# hex would be perfect right now.

I've still been doing a lot of wide pinching, mostly two-handed on heavy dumbbells. Grippers still on the rise too.

I secured a good 45# hubbing plate today from lukeamdman here on the board. I hope to post a video of that soon along with a 150# gripper close even though I have the 3 qualifying lifts in place.

Funny, the 150# gripper close I thought would be a "gimme" is taking longer than expected to put together.

Body weight is heading back down again. I was up to 161 and now well back under 160. I don't think I'll ever be in the 66kg class again and, in general, will likely hover around 155.

• Like 1

So I can pretty much dominate that 45# Hex. I'm looking to maybe trade up for a heavier one. I think all Adam Glass' block weights are still around even though he moved to FL. I might check that out. I think a 50# hex would be perfect right now.

I've still been doing a lot of wide pinching, mostly two-handed on heavy dumbbells. Grippers still on the rise too.

I secured a good 45# hubbing plate today from lukeamdman here on the board. I hope to post a video of that soon along with a 150# gripper close even though I have the 3 qualifying lifts in place.

Funny, the 150# gripper close I thought would be a "gimme" is taking longer than expected to put together.

Body weight is heading back down again. I was up to 161 and now well back under 160. I don't think I'll ever be in the 66kg class again and, in general, will likely hover around 155.

If you have the opportunity to try before you buy...I'd definitely do so. I've pulled a number of half 100 hexs that were more difficult than blob50's and York second gens.

Good gripper workout tonight. Got two different 150+ grippers shut. A GM and the Vendeta #3. They were touch-and-go but shut. Next workout should probably be good for a vid with the handles pinned.

In other news, no lifts yet on the 45 plate!