Nats Qualifier Log: Cannon

Cannon

For some reason I have a very strong urge to qualify for Nationals even though I can't go.

I took most of 2013 off from grip training for a million reasons that I've put some distance behind now. The ongoing chore is keeping my back healthy and I feel strong right now.

My goal is to hit as many of the 74k class lifts as possible. Here are some notes on my best chances:

150# gripper: this is a gimme.

2x35s: I've been doing lots of wide pinch but am usually good for this lift.

112# one-hand axle: got 115 up tonight with a Manus grip.

200# one-hand oly: I got 185 up tonight and 195 to my knees.

45 hub: if I can find a plate, I'll get this one. I hubbed a 45 the first time I tried.

45# inverted hex: need to find one and see where I'm at.

45# hex blob: same, need to find one and see where I'm at. Should pay a visit to Adam's gym.

Those best align with my current training. I'll post updates as I get them or make progress.

• Like 4

That's a shame you can't attend Nationals. I look forward to following your log as you knock off your goals, though.

• Like 1

Well, okay, most of my workouts have been on the weekends and I had big plans for this weekend but actually didn't make it to the gym! Didn't sneak in a workout at home either. It was our 12th wedding anniversay this weekend and we had a lot of fun. It was worth missing a couple workouts for that.

Tonight I am going to make a serious attempt at 115# axle if I stay home and 150# gripper if we head to the gym. Not sure what's up yet.

edit: looks like it's the axle workout at home. Might try to get 2x35s on video too if hands feel good.

Too easy. Nicely done, Matt!

• Like 1

Was the axle too tippy? I think I could have just taken another attempt and kept it more level. That lift felt super duper easy.

You've got both of those in the bag. You probably got bout 20lbs more on the axle if you want to max.

I feel like Manus Grips is a harder lift than the same weight on an axle.

Was the axle too tippy? I think I could have just taken another attempt and kept it more level. That lift felt super duper easy.

The NAGS website is currently without rules for the lift. I've seen one set of rules requiring both sides of the bar reach knee level, or above knee level, I forget which. But if your bar is longer than a standard axle you would have to take this into account.

• Like 1

You lifted the bar clear to your crotch - not sure you'd want to lift it any higher :). I'd say that's a good lift.

• Like 2

Did some stuff this weekend between Saturday and Sunday.

One Hand Olympic deadlift

Did some lighter training and worked on balancing the weight. For some reason no matter where I place my hand the weight tends to tip forward in front of me. (Kind of like in the axle video above.)

Worked with 155# and did lots of reps with both hands.

Dumbbell wide pinch

I've been doing lots of these. I use the rubber-coated bells at my gym. They are not hexes, though, but almost round. I use the 85-100 dumbbells and just grap both sides over the top and lift in a pinch grip. It's a pretty wide pinch, definitely wider than a Blob for the 100# dumbbell.

Rolling Thunder

Reps at 90#

Some singles at 125#

Could not budge 135#

I continue to suck at this lift.

Farmers walks, dumbbell

Another thing I have been doing a lot. I walk the 50s or 55s for laps around the entire gym floor. Maybe takes about a minute to go around. These burn out my forearms like crazy, but I can tell I can hold them better. I started a while go with the 45s and now can do multiple laps with the 55s (rest between each lap).

I had a good lead on a 45# hubbing plate but didn't love it once I went and looked. This guy had an incredible array of iron in his garage including a huge set of old York milled plates and also a vintage pair of deep-dish York 45s. Amazing collection. He competes locally in strongman.

The search continues for a 45# hex, good 45# hubbing plate, and a 45# hex blob. I think those are three more lifts I can get from the qualifying list. I'm pretty sure all this stuff is at Glass' gym but I have been unable to reach him for quite a while and have since heard he possibly moved. I'll keep looking!

Probably found a 45# hex block weight thanks to Nate Brous. We're going to cut up a dumbbell and share the cost. :cool

Good videos mate! Hope you kill your goals easily. I see fast and strong progress.

45# hex is on the way to my house. Should be able to see where I'm at with that this weekend.

Also hope to take down a 150# gripper. Heavy grippers did not test well at all last weekend so I went for reps on a CPW Hybrid Master. (These will be in the store very soon by the way.)

You doing the biofeedback thing that Glass was dong? I gave a good 2-3 months a while back, and, while it seemed to work, it took so much time. Plus the testing results would get thrown off if there was any sort of cardio involved... What's adam up to these days anyway, he still doing grip?

You doing the biofeedback thing that Glass was dong? I gave a good 2-3 months a while back, and, while it seemed to work, it took so much time. Plus the testing results would get thrown off if there was any sort of cardio involved... What's adam up to these days anyway, he still doing grip?

Yeah, I've been using it with some good results. I don't think it has to take much time at all, but I could make better use of some of the ideas. For example, I don't usually test a bunch of variations prior to proceeding with a lift. I use it more like a yes/no indicator of whether I should do that lift at all. Like this weekend I was going to bench some so I did a light set of flat bench. It tested very poorly so I just scrapped that idea and moved on with some pull-ups that tested well. I also use an arm raise instead of the toe-touch. It makes all my lifts look like a gymnastics dismount, but it literally takes a split second after each set.

I've totally lost track of Adam. He moved to Tampa I finally found out. We had been out of touch for about a year prior to that. I'm still trying to learn the fate of his slice of grip heaven at Movement Gym Plymouth. I heard from a friend that he was considering selling a lot of the stuff, but was not sure. I'll miss having him around, that's for certain!

45# hex should be here any day. I'm excited about that.

I'm giving up on the 200# one hand oly lift for now. It's been tweeking my back in a bad way and there is no real reason to go for that. Wrenched something good last night with 185# and now in some pain today.

The two feats on the short list are 150# gripper and the 45# hex.

Still trying to track down a good 45# hubbing plate.

Matt,

I have a Blog post started on what I have been doing to ease my back pain. As someone who has dealt with this kind of thing for years, and you've seen me in one of the worst days of my life at NAGS Champs 2011, I can say that you can drastically decrease the incidence of severe back pain cases with some of the things I am going to cover.

Good luck brother.

• Like 1

It makes all my lifts look like a gymnastics dismount, but it literally takes a split second after each set.

I think you need to include that in your feat videos. That is fantastic!

• Like 1

Matt,

I have a Blog post started on what I have been doing to ease my back pain. As someone who has dealt with this kind of thing for years, and you've seen me in one of the worst days of my life at NAGS Champs 2011, I can say that you can drastically decrease the incidence of severe back pain cases with some of the things I am going to cover.

Good luck brother.

Can you link? I went looking and couldn't find it.

Matt,

Good luck brother.

Can you link? I went looking and couldn't find it.

Jedd said: "I have a Blog post started on what I have been doing to ease my back pain."

Not published yet, apparently. :) I look forward to Jedd's post as well.

• Like 1