Feedback On Beginners Rutine

tewic

Hey Gripboard.

I recently got interested in developing my grip. I have just acquired a Captain of Crush #0.5 and #1 of which I were just able to close both from a no-set position. I will be getting #2 very soon.

After having read numerous of articles, I tried making a grip rutine for myself, which I hope you would give some feedback to, as I have little experience with direct grip training. My grip has only been trained through the exercises I do to get better at powerlifting.

I have the following grip related goals:

• 200 kg double OH deadlift
  • CoC #2.5 credit card close
  • 150 kg double OH fat bar deadlift
  • 75 kg rolling thunder lockout

The cycle is as follows:

• Week 1: Medium volume – medium intensity
  • Week 2: High volume – Low intensity
  • Week 3: Low volume – High intensity
  • Week 4: High volume – medium intensity
  • Week 5: Deload – no grip specific training.

Next to the grip training I workout 4-5 times a week, for powerlifting. For the first cycle I will do a set less and a round less in all the exercises, to start out easy. After a few cycles I think of adding lever work, but for now I think there's plenty new exercises to focus on.

Week 1 (medium volume - medium intensity)

Day 1:

Rolling thunder: 4x10-15 sek

2 hand plate pinch thumb+pinky+ring finger: 4x10-15 sek

Extension band: 3x10

Day 2:

CoC #1 parallel set 5 reps – CoC #2 negative (5 sec): 5 rounds

2 hand plate pinch: 4x10-15 sek

Day 3:

CoC #1 parallel set 5 reps – CoC #2 negative (5 sec): 5 rounds

Rolling thunder: 4x10-15 sek

Week 2 (high volume - low intensity)

Day 1:

CoC #0.5 credit card set: 4x5

CoC #0.5 hold: 2x max time

Rolling thunder: 5x10-15 sek

Extension band: 3x15

Day 2:

CoC #0.5 parallel set: 3x10

2 hand plate pinch: 5x10-15 sek

Day 3:

CoC #0.5 credit card set: 4x5

Week 3 (low volume – high intensity)

Day 1:

CoC #1 credit card set crush – CoC #2 negative (5 sec): 5 rounds

Rolling thunder lockout: 3x5

Extension band: 2x5

Day 2:

CoC #0.5 no set crush – CoC #2 negative (5 sec): 5 rounds

2 hand plate pinch lockout: 3x5

Day 3:

CoC #1 credit card set crush – CoC #2 negative (5 sec): 5 rounds

Rolling thunder lockout: 3x5

Week 4 (high volume – medium intensity)

Day 1:

CoC #1 credit card set: 3x2

CoC #1 hold: 1x max time

2 hand plate pinch thumb+pinky+ring finger: 5x10-15 sek

Extension band: 4x10

Day 2:

CoC #1 parallel set: 2x5

CoC #1 hold: 1x max time

Plate flips: 10 in each direction

2 hand plate pinch: 5x10-15 sek

Day 3:

CoC #0.5 credit card set – CoC #2 negative (5 sec) – CoC #1 hold: 5 rounds

Plate flips: 10 in each direction

Week 5

Deload – no grip specific training

All sorts of feedback are much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into your routine. It sounds great but I believe strongly in watching your biofeedback and making adjustments constantly based on your response to a routine. Don't be afraid to constantly scrap your detailed plans if your body isn't feeling it.

I agree with jvance. It seems that you are over-thinking it.

Are you planning to do al of your program with both hands? Just asking because i find it more efficient to train, for example grippers and thick bar separately. I also use extension bands only in off-days for active rest. Of course these are just my preferences.

Edited by FJM

Sounds like you put a lot of thought into your routine. It sounds great but I believe strongly in watching your biofeedback and making adjustments constantly based on your response to a routine. Don't be afraid to constantly scrap your detailed plans if your body isn't feeling it.

Obviously :-) That's why I want to do the cycle once with 1 less set/round, just to start out easy and get a feel for how my hands deal with the new workload.

I agree with jvance. It seems that you are over-thinking it.

Are you planning to do al of your program with both hands? Just asking because i find it more efficient to train, for example grippers and thick bar separately. I also use extension bands only in off-days for active rest. Of course these are just my preferences.

Yes, it's for both hands. I'll let my left hand set the pace, as it's slightly weaker than the right hand.

Is it due to fatigue that you prefer to have gripppers and thick bar seperately? I could easier seperate it for the days, or simply do the thick bar in the gym and then grippers when I get home, so there'll be a 1h break between the two parts.

Extension bands as active rest sounds like a good idea. It'll decrease the volume per day and instead increase the frequency, which I assume the hands should react fine to.

Is it due to fatigue that you prefer to have gripppers and thick bar seperately?

It is mainly because they feel to interfere with each other. Hard thick bar training seems to decrease gripper strength, that is bad news. Good news is that dynamic pinching and extensor work help with both so you can do those as assistance work and just switch between grippers and thick bar in different weeks. Two to four weeks is good time period to do with same focuses.

Is it due to fatigue that you prefer to have gripppers and thick bar seperately?

It is mainly because they feel to interfere with each other. Hard thick bar training seems to decrease gripper strength, that is bad news. Good news is that dynamic pinching and extensor work help with both so you can do those as assistance work and just switch between grippers and thick bar in different weeks. Two to four weeks is good time period to do with same focuses.

Interesting. That obviously affects the way I've put the exercises together.

Is this just something that you've felt, or is it documented? Some Googling around only gave me this thread from this forum: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=41364 wherein it seems that thick bar work does affect gripper strength, but in the long run it should be fine. So keeping gripper and thick bar training apart would only be to close larger gripper during the cycle, without affecting the end result...

Even though being able to use larger grippers within the cycle should stimulate more strength gains. I think for now I'll just try to do it mixed, then later on I can try keeping it separate to see if it makes a difference :) Thanks for the input!

How do you program your Powerlifting workouts?

4-5 powerlifting workouts and 3 grip workouts is a lot of workouts in a week.

How do you program your Powerlifting workouts?

4-5 powerlifting workouts and 3 grip workouts is a lot of workouts in a week.

Non-linear periodisation - somewhat inspired by WSB. But at the moment my deadlift volume and intensity is lower than normal due to a knee injury.

Right now I'm doing a slow bulk, and will be doing so for the rest of the year, so hopefully the recovery should be fine.

Would you recommend me that I start out even slower than just the above cycle minus 1 set/round per exercise? I obviously don't want to run into an injury by starting out too fast, but the other grip rutines I found online had a much higher frequenzy (4-6 times per week)

Non-linear periodisation - somewhat inspired by WSB. But at the moment my deadlift volume and intensity is lower than normal due to a knee injury.

Based off this you will be doing rehab workouts as well to heal the knee. I am not trying to discourage you, but that seems to be a large workload. Do you do speed work for your deadlift?

Based off this you will be doing rehab workouts as well to heal the knee. I am not trying to discourage you, but that seems to be a large workload. Do you do speed work for your deadlift?

Aprox a third of the weekly deadlift volume is speed work. The rehab for my knee is simply slow light squats, so the volume there is fairly low.

I didn't think that grip work volume should be coordinated that much with the rest of my volume. I have been strenght traning for the past 5 years (first year = 3 weekly workouts, the second year = 4 weekly workouts and the past 3 years have been 4-5 weekly workouts), so my body is conditioned to the current volume.