One Hand Clean Millenium Dumbbell

ChimpGrip

Has this ever been done? If this was ever done, what would be the equivalent in grippers?

Pretty sure that lifting dumbells especially thick handled dumbells has absolutely no cross over to grippers as they are different lifts, support grip being holding onto bars and crushing grip, being used in grippers..

I haven't found any crossovers from support grip to crushing grip personally

• Like 1

Never been done.

IMHO, TNS'ing a #4 would not even come close to cleaning the Millenium. The overall strength, hand/thumb/wrist/body would be huge. If you clean the Millenium they would remove the name Chuck Norris from all those funny quotes and put your name in there.

• Like 12

Guest Squat More

If anyone will ever have a chance at cleaning a Millennium dumbbell it would be Laine Snook. I've heard from a reliable source that he has a 330# (or abouts there in weight) globe dumbbell with an inch like handle that he has "stood up with". It is painted gold and called the "Snookenstein" bell, you can actually see it in some of his videos.

Snookenstein
Millennium
Inch replica

10f0x06.jpg

Yep, Laine or some other manbeast stand a chance. I can see it now........

When the boogey man goes to sleep at night he checks his closet for Laine Snook.

Newton's Third Law is wrong: Although it states that for each action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, there is no force equal in reaction to a Laine Snook Millenium DB clean.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

If you watch the video of Laine using his Millennium trainer dumbbell - the golden Snookenstein bell can be seen in the bottom left hand corner of the video beside the squat rack.

After looking back on my conversations with Jed, who is a guy who trains at the gym Laine opened (The Iron Works), the Snookenstein is "maybe 24 stone" according to him - 1 stone = 14 pounds so 24 x 14 = 336, so the golden bell is about 336 pounds in weight. This guy has also told me Laine has lifted 163 kilos on the rolling thunder. After seeing Laine do 300 x 10 and the 332 well over a year ago, I have no problem believing a 163 kilo lift now.

Also I remember reading some time ago on the Iron Mind forum that after all the RT videos Laine had put up he said he was going to be on a "diet of lots of squats and deadlifts" because he had a "date with a dumbbell" - I can only guess he was talking about this golden "Snookenstein" bell.

Would be amazing to see video of it being lifted, it dwarfs the Millennium by a ton, if my source is right on the weight. Edited by Squat More

If you watch the video of Laine using his Millennium trainer dumbbell - the golden Snookenstein bell can be seen in the bottom left hand corner of the video beside the squat rack.

After looking back on my conversations with Jed, who is a guy who trains at the gym Laine opened (The Iron Works), the Snookenstein is "maybe 24 stone" according to him - 1 stone = 14 pounds so 24 x 14 = 336, so the golden bell is about 336 pounds in weight. This guy has also told me Laine has lifted 163 kilos on the rolling thunder. After seeing Laine do 300 x 10 and the 332 well over a year ago, I have no problem believing a 163 kilo lift now.

Also I remember reading some time ago on the Iron Mind forum that after all the RT videos Laine had put up he said he was going to be on a "diet of lots of squats and deadlifts" because he had a "date with a dumbbell" - I can only guess he was talking about this golden "Snookenstein" bell.

Would be amazing to see video of it being lifted, it dwarfs the Millennium by a ton, if my source is right on the weight.

The next chuck Norris..

Seems laine has beaten Mark felix's rolling thunder record by a lot then!

Edited by JoshW

Guest Squat More

Actually it is Alexey Tyukalov's record, he took it from Mark some time ago but Laine did best the previous RT record when Mark Felix held it as well. I think on a good day Laine could not only break the RT record but he could lift that Mark Henry bell out of it's box and collect that 10 grand too.

• Like 1

I agree there is not a big conversion of gripper strength and open hand/static strength, but rich Williams closed a coc#3.5 CCS and is only the second man to officially clean the inch dumbbell. Mike burke same thing and he almost double cleaned inch's, so there is some carry over, but just because you can close a 3.5 doesn't mean you can clean the inch. I think feat for feat, cleaning the millennium would be like TNS a Tetting world class or above pro.

I agree there is not a big conversion of gripper strength and open hand/static strength, but rich Williams closed a coc#3.5 CCS and is only the second man to officially clean the inch dumbbell. Mike burke same thing and he almost double cleaned inch's, so there is some carry over, but just because you can close a 3.5 doesn't mean you can clean the inch. I think feat for feat, cleaning the millennium would be like TNS a Tetting world class or above pro.

TNS of a world class????

No way Jose

Should test this theory and get someone who can close #4 or GHP 9 to try clean one of these dumbells to see how close they get. Maybe cancrusher or someone..not sure how much thick barred stuff he has done though

Snook is truly amazing. With not a lot of trouble he and his Bell certainly be on the stage of the Arnold's Mighty Mitts. If he is as good as I suspect he would set the world of grip and strength on fire!

• Like 1

Should test this theory and get someone who can close #4 or GHP 9 to try clean one of these dumbells to see how close they get. Maybe cancrusher or someone..not sure how much thick barred stuff he has done though

Cleaning these takes a lot more then grip strength, you need to have world class overall body strength to just move that much weight. Its not surprising the only guys who have even cleaned the inch all have world class level strength.

Just cleaning close to 200lbs is hard I was doing some continental cleans with 315 on the axle ant it is super taxing to the body for me to even get 1 rep. Yet I saw robert oberst throw it around like a toy-while injured- which is common for for high level strongman. So throwing around 200lbs even one handed is not a big deal when they can throw around 400+lbs with the axle. I could see some big strongman like thor or brian shaw cleaning the millenium with some work put into it. Burke nearly double cleaned the inches after a strongman and grip contest and he is 100lbs lighter then those guys. Yet I could not see them TNS a world class.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

From watching worlds strongest man 2013 finals the other day Brian Shaw could not clean a 120kg dumbbell, yet zydrunas savickas could do it with ease so I can imagine savickas could have a shot!

The big Z is the strongest man I have ever seen personally. He can do things with ease that no matter what position he is in . The big bell of Snook seems very short in the handle perhaps helping or hurting a big handed man lifting it. I have never seen Z back down and Laine is truly in a class of his own. Who can lift that thing in a correct position is a truly a wonder! Never forget the" true wonder" Mark Henry who has strength "in his being" and in his hands beyond belief.

• Like 1

Even for the world's strongest man himself, this one would take some hard focused training. It's certainly nowhere near a tns of a world class but I would say for sure harder than tns of 4 out of package. Tilted I would think it would take a lot of strength to get the bell to flip around and flat it's gonna have to sit further forward so harder to clean the weight, plus you got more spin to the thumb. Very very difficult.

• Like 1

Even for the world's strongest man himself, this one would take some hard focused training. It's certainly nowhere near a tns of a world class but I would say for sure harder than tns of 4 out of package. Tilted I would think it would take a lot of strength to get the bell to flip around and flat it's gonna have to sit further forward so harder to clean the weight, plus you got more spin to the thumb. Very very difficult.

Still not sure how much transfer there will be from this feat to crushing strength.

Personally I think the clean is a bit overestimated in terms of strength necessary. I'm not talking about any implement specifically. Technique, speed, and momentum control play a huge part in one's ability to move around the weight.

• Like 1