Vulcan And Grippers

Massey

Yes you can. Vulcan has a different feeling perhaps by having a tougher sweep because of a more linear resistance, what makes for an somewhat 'easier' close in comparison to the difficult set. You can compensate that by doing chokerwork with it on higher levels for instance. The Vulcan in my opinion is a very good choice if you need to spend your money wisely. You get a lot of bang for your buck. You could buy some goal grippers and fill the holes with the Vulcan.

There's a lot to be found about the Vulcan. Just plow through this board and the David Horne forum.

This a gold spring calibration Matti Heiskanen once did. There are a lot of other springs though which can come out much more difficult or easier, depending the colour. David Horne can inform you about that.

- Level 24 / 97.5kg / 215.23 lbs / rating = 4.10
- Level 23 / 92kg / 203.09 lbs / rating = 3.90
- Level 22 / 91kg / 200.88 lbs / rating = 3.86
- Level 21 / 85,5 kg / 188,75 lbs / rating = 3.66
- Level 20 / 81 kg / 178.80 lbs / rating = 3.49
- Level 19 / 80 kg / 176.6 lbs / rating = 3.45
- Level 18 / 75 kg / 165,56 lbs / rating = 3,26
- Level 17 / 71,5 kg / 157,83 lbs / rating = 3,13
- Level 16 / 71 kg / 156.73 lbs / rating = 3.11
- Level 15 / 65 kg / 143.5 lbs / rating = 2.84
- Level 14 / 58.5 kg / 129,13 lbs / rating = 2,48
- Level 13 / 58 kg / 128,03 lbs / rating = 2,45
- Level 12 / 55,0kg / 121,41 lbs / rating = 2,29
- Level 11 / 51,5 kg / 113,68 lbs / rating= 2,09
- Level 10 / 50,5 kg / 111,48 lbs / rating = 2,04
- Level 9 / 47 kg / 103,75 kg / rating = 1.76
- Level 8 / 43 kg / 94.92 lbs / rating = 1.46

- Level 7 / 41 kg / 90.50 lbs / rating = 1.27
- Level 6 / 37,5 kg /82,78 lbs / rating = 1.00
- Level 5 / / 34.5 kg / 76.16 lbs / rating = 0.71

- Level 4 / 34 kg / 75,1 lbs / rating = 0,64

- Level 3 / 31,5kg / 69,53lbs / rating= 0,43

• Thanks 1

I think the vulcan can be a huge help with grippers but, you still need TSG grippers as well.

I did only vulcan work for a while and my set and sweep really improved but, my final 1/4 inch dropped off.

it's an excellent accessory for TSG's and a good thing to have if you plan to do WSH.

• Like 1

I think the vulcan can be a huge help with grippers but, you still need TSG grippers as well.

I did only vulcan work for a while and my set and sweep really improved but, my final 1/4 inch dropped off.

it's an excellent accessory for TSG's and a good thing to have if you plan to do WSH.

Brent, I don't think there is a WSH this year.

Guest Squat More

One thing you can do is to put a little ball of Plasticine or play dough on the inside of the palm handle, and as long as it does not fall off, the stuff is malleable and the extra added resistance feels more like a TSG on the last bit of the crush. And yes, I have done it - I stole some play dough from my cousins daughter but it was only a tiny but, she didn't even notice. :grin:

• Like 1

True, that way you can profit from the best of both worlds. That can be also tackled btw with the chokerwork. Than you can focus on the last part of the close.

Let's face it, anyone closing level 16 and up on a Vulcan will be also good with TSG's at least at or above #3 level.

I use a Weldon's adjustable gripper or a vulcan for all my warm up sets and TSG's for my working sets and sometimes finish out with vulcan work. The adjustable gripper has helped my set a ton.

Thanks guys great info I will be getting one

I'm selling a version 1 Vulcan, just FYI. PM me if you're interested.

By translate I mean by using a Vulcan only could you go from a COC 3 to a 3.5

I did kind of

I basically only had a coc #3 and vulcan earlier this year and just worked on the vulcan mostly and did I think around level 21 or something and ended up closing a 3.5 gripper with a block set in contest and just barley missed a hard ghp 8 at 185 the same day. I did play with TSG a little also like an elite I got and 3.5 gripper-couldn't close the 3.5 but could close the elite and the vulcan was a good gab bridge between the two.

That said its quite different and I plateaued on grippers focusing on the vulcan too much and it was hurting my final closing power. The vulcan is much easier at the end and feels different in the hand. Its a good tool to have but it can't replace the feel of a TSG.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

I just got my Vulcan and was wondering what is considered the front and what is considered the back in terms of moving the spring up for higher levels and if I am holding it correctly which side goes in your palm? If it's in my right hand should the sticker " David horns world of grip" be facing me if I'm looking at my palm?

• Like 1

If you look at the handles, you should see that one is slightly longer than the other. The longer one is the front. The other handle is the rear and the one that goes in your palm.

I read that page earlier but it never said how to place the handles in your hand and which end was the front and back for the spring thanks for the clarification