Of Pinch And The Inch

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

Don't worry Jon, it is only a matter of time before people start calling me a fake because I won't be competing in any Grip Sport contests unless they are ones I host.

• Like 1

People that feel bad about themselvs might say stuff like that.

Weak people who know they've failed to get strong in grip :)

Guest Squat More

Week 4 - Session A - Band work @ 50mm width

2HP + 35# band resistance at the top

133# x 2
141# x 2
153# x 2
165# 8x2

Auxiliary work

TTK - 10# - 5x12

One Wicked Wrist Roller *reverse* - 90# x 6, 130# x 1

Guest Squat More

People that feel bad about themselvs might say stuff like that.

Weak people who know they've failed to get strong in grip :)

No it's just that there are a lot of people who are within a few hours driving distance to various competitions held through out the year in the US and they figure it is the same for everyone then try to talk crap on people who don't have the expendable income to travel to these competitions - "Do it in a competition or it doesn't count" type thing, sorry but strong is strong and yeah, making a lift OFFICIAL means more than a Gym lift but at the end of the day, strong as strong. I'd welcome a four hour drive to a nearby competition but for me, to go to any comp would entail a 12 hour drive to Winnipeg where there is a major airport followed by a 4-7 hours flight to where ever the comp may be. I am just not going to do that - so I am going to take part in International comps when my collection of equipment allows.

My girlfriend is getting into grip, she weighs a stout 122 pounds or 55 kilos and with her getting interested in the idea of working towards records in her weight class, along with my cousin - that makes 3 of us who can officially hold comps as per the IGC's rule - these comps will be the "other venue's" associated with David Horne's World of Grip competitions and perhaps any Juha decides to get going like he did with the Horror Grip comp, or the King Kong grip competition that Eric Roussin organized. I found out my digital postal shipping scale can be calibrated and was shipped calibrated (I read the owners manual) - once I get some more grip topz and officially accepted NAGS plastic inserts for my europinch, it's on. I hope to take part in the 10 year anniversary of the Adjustable Europinch competition David Horne is hosting in early May 2014 - this means I will be busting my arse on the euro to place high on that Top 50 list and maybe if everything works out well, take the 120+ Kilo division record.

• Like 1

"

I hope to take part in the 10 year anniversary of the Adjustable Europinch competition David Horne is hosting in early May 2014 - this means I will be busting my arse on the euro to place high on that Top 50 list and maybe if everything works out well, take the 120+ Kilo division record.

I hope you do too mate! Good luck!

My wife used the postoffice website to try and estimate the cost for shipping.

Looks to be like 80 USD, somewhere in that range, for shipping the dumbell.

Guest Squat More

Okay - I have to get some Europinch spacers made in NJ and have them shipped to me, once I get that done my expendable income will be towards getting that handle. After a talk with David Horne, 2014 is going to be all about the Europinch.

• Like 1

A whole year of pinching, you crazy MF you :)

Will be cool to see how strong you've gotten this time next year

Guest Squat More

I plan to start working my wrist strength like crazy and hitting grippers and thickbar from time to time but 90% of my grip training is going to be 2 and 1hp.

Guest Squat More

Week 4 - Session B - Technique Singles @ 50mm width

2hp

3x1 - 155#
3x1 - 165#

3x1 - 175#
2x1 - 196#
x1 - 206# - 3 second hold at top

Grip Monsters 80kg Europinch challenge
11 reps in 90 Seconds <---- I did wear my World of Grip thumb webbing protectors for this, so it probably won't count but I wasn't going to screw my training cycle up with tearing the hell out of my webbing.

Notes: I will try this challenge again, I have been suffering from a chest cold / flu and laryngitis the last 5 days, just starting to get my voice back now. This has affected my pinch training as well as my Cube Method barbell training. I hope I recover from this crap soon. No assistance today.

Video

http://youtu.be/D0Ve61jYVEg

Edited by Squat More

Guest Squat More

Week 5 - Session A - reps @ 50mm

2HP
1x3 - 126.3#

1x3 - 132.8#

1x3 - 156.3#

1x3 - 177.6#

3x2 - 195.6#

2" Axle Deadlifts
115# x 2
205# 2x2
275# x 2
295# x 2
307.4# x 2 <--- exact weight, at this point I added up the exact poundages of my plates that have been calibrated
341.6# x 1
351.8# x Fail, locked out but couldn't hold it
351.8# x 1... maybe?

Jon - take a deload! You've talked about being tired and beat up - you're way too intelligent about this stuff to just keep hammering away. I know how hungry you are to get better but this is a part of getting better. Take your own advice and back off for just a bit. You have told me you need it - now DO IT!

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

The deload from Barbell training is what I am taking Chris, hence me doing some Axle deadlifts. The pinch and grip stuff is no problem, no issues with recovery. It was the Powerlifting program I was on coupled with having flu like symptoms but not a full on flu bug that was kicking my ass. I am recovering now and not doing any heavy lifting until Saturday, when I will probably do a mock PL meet to find where my maxes are - then reboot the Cube method program I was on after a week of full on rest.

The deload from Barbell training is what I am taking Chris, hence me doing some Axle deadlifts. The pinch and grip stuff is no problem, no issues with recovery. It was the Powerlifting program I was on coupled with having flu like symptoms but not a full on flu bug that was kicking my ass. I am recovering now and not doing any heavy lifting until Saturday, when I will probably do a mock PL meet to find where my maxes are - then reboot the Cube method program I was on after a week of full on rest.

Well all right - I was afraid I was going to have to kick some heiny and make you listen to yourself :)

Guest Squat More

Yep the next few days I am just going to do some stretching and a lot of foam rolling and let my body recover from the 9 week Cube method cycle. Pinch work finishes the 5 week "program" I wrote up on Friday then a short break from pinch training as well. Hoping to set PRs in all lifts in my mock meet on Saturday.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Week 5 - Session B - Max Testing, singles @ 50mm

2HP

147# x 1
167# x 1
187# x 1
207# x 1
227# 3 x fail

switched to holds-->

190# x 12 seconds
210# x 4 seconds

Notes: Today was possibly the worst 2hp session I have ever had in terms of disappointment - I went into it feeling great, positive and expecting to smash a PR but that didn't happen. New goings on at work, lack of sleep, and stress among other things *could* be factors (probably are but I don't want to make excuses) but I am also under the suspicion that I am better off training in 3 week cycles for strength peaking. I also tried larger jumps in weight this time around and I think this affected me, just not enough warm up volume before attempting the heavier near max weights. I did some things differently today with some questions in mind as to how I would respond to them. This is what strength training is all about, trying different things with questions in mind and getting answers, then using those answers to your advantage.

Now I am going to take a small break from the Europinch, at least 5 days, and just do some light thumb and wrist work, write up a new training cycle based on the things I have learned in this one and come back stronger.

Pinch is one of those movements where PRs are most unpredictable. Some days I PR and think I finally broke the code, and the next session feels like I forgot how to pinch. PRs come in droves when you least expect it and when you think you got stronger you can't pinch crap... Is what it is

Guest Squat More

I am just chalking it up to a bad day and not enough warm ups. I've consistently set PRs every time I have maxed, 4 hours of sleep and having to take on extra teaching duties at work probably had a lot to do with today. Already have the next 3 weeks of training laid out and ready to go, I will slam 109 kilos to the standard in early Feb.

• Like 1

Heavy lifting is so heavily influenced by the CNS, and when you have extra stress/ lack of sleep you will notice a big difference. Don't worry man you know your stronger, and its only a matter of time before you smash another pr once things slow down.