Of Pinch And The Inch

Guest Squat More

Guest Squat More

Chris Rice asked me if I had a training log anywhere, I told him just on Juha's forum - after our conversation I thought I'd start one here. I am undergoing a new experimental program on the Europinch, today was my first session so I figured why not start one now.

Some notes: I always wear protection when training on the Europinch, the protection is the thumb webbing protectors from David Horne's World of Grip - these allow me to not worry about tearing my webbing and make training slightly tougher, when time comes for me to want to test a max, I know I can count on a bit more weight and feeling more comfortable with my grip on the euro.

The Squat More Euro Program V1.0

December 14, 2013 - Week 1, Session A - Volume, Reps @ 48mm width

2HP
1x3 - 142#
1x3 - 153#
1x3 - 164#
1x3 - 174#
3x3 - 186#
Auxiliary work
Single hand TTK 4x12 - 5#
2" Wrist Roller - Reverse for Extensors x 3 (20 mini reps for pump) - 80#
6# shot put dexerity ball work 3xfailure (dropping)

Contrast baths to follow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will also be using a 5 week version of my Rolling Thunder program, using a harder Swedish made rolling handle and posting those training sessions here too.
Edited by Squat More
  • Like 5

Guest Squat More

Week 1, Session B - Tension management and technique Singles, 50mm Width

2HP
133.5# x 1
141.5# x 1
152.3# x 1
163.9# x 1
174.7# x 1
185.9# 3x1

(decided to post exact weights)

Auxiliary work
Euro Wrist Curls - 61# - 3x8
Reverse Wrist Roller - 111# - x3
Single hand TTK - 10# - 3x12

Contrast baths.

Notes: Really focusing on tension, being tight in my lats, triceps and chest, really using my legs and hips more to bring the weight up. Also paying extra attention to position of my thumbs and hands, trying to use my palm / callous pads as much as possible. This was my low volume pull day, so assistance was a bit higher in intensity.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 2

Guest Squat More
Week 2, Session A - Band resistance work @ 50mm Width
Two hand Europinch + Resistance bands
1x3 - 112#
1x3 - 131#
6x3 - 154#
Note: Bands average slightly over 16lbs of resistance at the top of the Europinch 16.5" standard. I measured this with the bands and my digital post office shipping quality scale.
Auxiliary work
Reverse Wrist Roller - 80# 5x1 (30)
Training notes: this was my first real session using the bands, as suggested by Jedd Johnson in his Napalm Pinch dvd. They seriously taxed my grip and forced me to continuously squeeze harder through the entire range of motion. Because of this I limited my assistance to just wrist roller for my extensors this session.

Guest Squat More

Thanks Austin, honestly looking forward to finishing my two 5 week pinch cycles I promised myself I'd get through before going back to working on thickbar and working towards lifting the Inch dumbbell.

Guest Squat More

Today was Cube bench explosion day, so I thought I would mess about with some grip stuff. I have not touched a gripper since early October (the 3rd) and wanted to see where my crush strength was with TSGs

• Like 2

Jon, you've turned into quite the thinking man's gripster. :zorro: The gains you have made the past 6 months have been very impressive.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More
Week 2, Session B - Tension management rep work @ 48mm
2HP
1x2 - 132.5#
1x2 - 145.4#
1x2 - 156.3#
2x3 - 163.6#
Notes: Working on tension, improving hand placement and getting some low volume rep work done at a narrower width. Fingers and palms feel it more at this width than the thumb as it is narrower. This is why I like to switch between narrower, optimal, and slightly wider than optimal widths in training. They hit my hand in different ways - similar to how many powerlifters like to use specialty bars for the main 3 movements, it is the same movement with a variation I.E. SSB, Trap bar deads, Buffalo Bar, Axle bench etc.
My optimal width as it stands is 50mm, I use 48mm to hit my fingers and palms more, and 54mm which works my thumb a lot more.
Auxiliary work
Single hand Titans Telegraph Key - 5 x15 - 8#
Reverse Wrist Roller x 3 (20) - 75#
Smaller 2" Chrome Dexterity Balls 3x50 rotations

Contrast bath hands this evening.

No video today, not really worth the trouble to edit and upload, just reps training.
  • Like 1

Guest Squat More
Week 3 - Session A - Holds @ 50mm

2HP

1x2 - 130#

1x2 - 140#

1x2 - 155#

1x2 - 165#

Hold - 175# - 5 seconds

Hold - 187# - 5 seconds

Hold - 187# - 13 seconds

Notes: It was my birthday today and I kinda had to force myself to train so my last hold was not what I was shooting for, any other day I feel I am good for 20 to 25 seconds. I was lazy, full and tired from the day so I skipped assistance.

Happy birthday Jon! Tried to tell you that on Facebook and it crashed. Did the same for my brother yesterday, so that sucks.

Guest Squat More

Haha thanks brother, I appreciate it! It was a good day, my girlfriend and her little girls made me a cake, then she cooked me a bunch of Mexican food, then I saw Anderson Silva get retired because of his weak, zero density bones. Today was a good day.

Wow...saw the gruesome photo of Silva's leg. That doesn't even look remotely physically possible. Again, wow...

Guest Squat More

Had a go with this today just for the hell of it after benching and doing some wrist crimp work. How it will affect tomorrow's Europinch training remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Jon are you going to start working thick bar and 2hp at the same time or switch back and worth between them.

Guest Squat More

Hi Tom.

No, not really... but kind of? I find I make my best gains when I specialize. I have tinkered with some thickbar stuff here and there but the Europinch is still my #1 focus right now. I want to dedicate most of 2014 to thickbar (Axle, Rolling Thunder, Adjustable thickbar, working towards lifting the Inch) and wrist strength to supplement and boost said thickbar goals, but that is after I meet a few more europinch goals that I have set for myself first.

When I go back to focusing on thickbar, I will not totally dump europinch training. I will for 4-5 months train exclusively thickbar and some grippers (training grippers before thickbar stuff does not affect me negatively, its actually helped my thickbar lifts in the past) but then slowly ease myself back into training on the Euro along with thickbar stuff, to do that I will lower the frequency of my pinch training to once a week (from the 2x a week now and the 3x a week I had begun at) and work in volume waves - high, medium, low - with progressively heavier weights (week 1 = work up to a 3rm that day, week 2 = work up to a 10 second hold max that day, week 1 = work up to a 1rm for that day) and tailor my thickbar training to that as well - on the week I do heavier Europinch work (work up to the days max in week 3) the rest of the week would be reps with thickbar stuff and no max effort type weight on any implement (RT, Adjustable thickbar, Inch attempts, axle etc).

When I talk about volume, I talk about total weight moved/lifted in a training session more than the weight used for individual lifts I.E. singles.

For someone with hands my size, thickbar stuff over 2" is kind of like a wide pinch to begin with because I do not have enough wrist strength at the moment to keep locked into a crimp position. I also honestly think all my high volume Rolling thunder training from the past is what has been a major factor in my quick 2hp gains.

• Like 2

I dont understand what you mean by "crimp". :)

Guest Squat More

It is a secret that the English thickbar masters have shared with me and for me to tell you about it would mean certain death.

Sorry brah!

Guest Squat More

Hmmmm missed my europinch session today, had new years dinner with the family, layed down with the girlfriend and girls to watch a movie and fell asleep. Tomorrow is heavy squat day so I think I will make it up then.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Week 3 - Session B - Tension work @ 50mm Width

2HP

143.4# x 1
152.8# x 1
165.3# x 1
175.7# x 1
186.1# x 1
194.9# x 1
220.1# x 1 - 2lb PR
227# x 1 - 9lb PR
229.4# x 1 - 11lb PR

Notes: Wasn't planning on maxing today but the weights just felt so damn light I couldn't resist taking advantage of a good day, honestly felt a bit more in the tank but didn't want to risk a tear or anything, Today was also my heavy squat day in week 8 of the Cube method, so I was really fired up today. Controlled rage I guess, no screaming or yelling or cussing just keeping it all in and taking it out on the Iron!

Going to eat, then contrast bath the hands.
  • Like 1