2014 Az Cactus Grip Comp

acorn

Eric and Yori, hope you can make it. I got final clearance to put this on from the wife yesterday. It is generally a many step process and very touchy subject to get clearance requiring deft timing and execution.

:)

- Aaron

• Like 3

I already got the time off from work... And clearance from my wife. Yori has no choice.

• Like 2

.. And clearance from my wife.

How can this be???

:bow you must be a... :sorcerer:

• Like 1

.. And clearance from my wife.

How can this be???

:bow you must be a... :sorcerer:

I read your post and scratched my head. But after my fourteen year old son explained that the happy little guy with the sparkler and pointy hat is a wizard, it all made sense.

No wizardry, obviously. I guess I just caught her in a charitable mood. Hmmm... maybe I should keep an eye on the checkbook in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I hear that you'll have some really cool trophies again this year.

How does a competitor win one of these Aaron, is it for top overall or by class?

So I hear that you'll have some really cool trophies again this year.

How does a competitor win one of these Aaron, is it for top overall or by class?

We typically run 3 classes. Mens Open, Mens Novice and Womens. We have also run an Elite class in the past when more than one Elite level competitor is competing. Novice in this case means 1yr or less from your first grip contest. We will be doing weigh-ins for weight class rankings and records but not running weight classes in the comp. Generally not nearly enough competitors / entry fees to cover this much less additional classes most years.

- Aaron

I've been thinking about the line up of people stopping out for the comp, and it's going to be pretty stiff competition for those 3 open trophies. My sister will probably place higher than me again!

Just got word my sister plans on coming down too. She is even talking about competing. She hasn't been training, but will start soon (or so she says). Stephen, your sister is still coming too, despite the date change right?

I have just started working a second job on the weekends right now, previously was just working during the week with school as a tutor. Money has been tight recently for a few reasons. I wont say never but I will have to find a way to get off work and have the cash to spend a night the day before since its a 10 hour drive for me. It looks like your going to have a great group of guys though and I really would like to make it but I can't make a guarantee right now. If I did go my sister would compete for sure though.

Looks like you will have plenty of tough competition though so it should be a great contest regardless.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Just got word my sister plans on coming down too. She is even talking about competing. She hasn't been training, but will start soon (or so she says). Stephen, your sister is still coming too, despite the date change right?

I have just started working a second job on the weekends right now, previously was just working during the week with school as a tutor. Money has been tight recently for a few reasons. I wont say never but I will have to find a way to get off work and have the cash to spend a night the day before since its a 10 hour drive for me. It looks like your going to have a great group of guys though and I really would like to make it but I can't make a guarantee right now. If I did go my sister would compete for sure though.

Looks like you will have plenty of tough competition though so it should be a great contest regardless.

I hope things work out and you can make it.

I hope things work out and you can make it.

Thanks there is still a really good chance I will make it I just have to figure out a few things. 2 months is a long time and I more then likely will make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer. I've started on the trophies metalwork and have someone doing some sketches for the shirts artwork.

AZ Cactus Grip 2014 Trophy builds started

Here are some previous years trophies btw.

2012 before final paint and labels.

AZ Cactus Grip 2012 Trophies

AZCG 2013 trophies

AZCG 2013 trophies

Getting closer. I've started on the trophies metalwork and have someone doing some sketches for the shirts artwork.

Bad ass!

Quick announcement:

Gillingham HP has most graciously sponsored grippers for our raffle prizes at the AZ Cactus Grip this year.

http://www.gillinghamhp.com/

A big thanks to Wade and his crew for helping us out.

• Like 2

Sucks but too many different issues; not going to make it this year. Have a good one guys!

Sucks but too many different issues; not going to make it this year. Have a good one guys!

Shucks, now I'll have to drink all that beer.

Bummer duder but I understand. Maybe next year.

Sorry to hear, Jason. Stupid Grip Contest Demons. They've ruined my plans before, too.

Guess we're relegated to enjoying your antics via Facebook instead of in person :).

If it's not too much of a cooker later in the year I'll still look at making a trip out though.

• Like 2