2014 Fit Expo Grip Contest Information

Hubgeezer

270, Eric Patterson, Arizona

Does anyone know Eric? We need to get him over to Aaron's place in March if he's here in AZ!

270, Eric Patterson, Arizona

Does anyone know Eric? We need to get him over to Aaron's place in March if he's here in AZ!

He was not there Sunday.

Alexey Tyukalov record is 331lbs and couldn't get 282lbs here the new new handle makes a big difference

Alexey did 238lbs with my handle at our contest. Jabadabaduu.........

• Like 1

Fun contest, although I suspect I share a similar sentiment with the other competitors that we were a bit disappointed with our lower than average numbers. When I dropped the SB at 37s I thought I was done for, then I saw Tank and Felix drop earlier than me so I knew I only had to beat Burke. Of course, Mike won the event. Kudos to him for breaking his own WR and winning a little extra money on the Silver Bullet.

The #3 that we used didn't feel that much harder. After it was taken out of the package, I gave it a squeeze and noted that it had a very smooth sweep and strong finish (I sound like a wine snob describing a gripper). Setting it in my hand wasn't that difficult but I felt like I didn't quite wrap my pinky around the handle as much as I should have.

Martins Licis should win the "Most Improved" award, if there was one. He was right up there with the big boys pulling 210kg on the axle. Very impressive!

I've got video of Burke's WR lift that I'll post to YouTube soon.

• Like 2

Is this the successful world record lift?

• Like 1

Is this the successful world record lift?

When I got this video, I understood it´s attempt and I added attempt word to video title. I just heard this is official, counted lift. I´m not sure. Hope someone who was there will tell it to us.

Clay - I completely agree with your statements about the #3 as well as about Martins Licis. He was very impressive!

Yes, this was the lift that counted.

Cheers Eric.

Was this the video taken by Alexey?

I dont know who filmed it but I got it from Alexey.

Was this the video taken by Alexey?

I dont know who filmed it but I got it from Alexey.

Alexey had taken a video, I think that was his, as his did not have the judge in the video. There were two other ones, neither of which I saw, that I was told showed the lift from different angles, including the judge. The lift apparently looked better in those than the one here.

Judging in grip contests needs to be cleaned up. Why isn't the same standard applied for an axle deadlift as a deadlift in a powerlifting contest? If the lifter does not control the weight at the top and lower it to the floor it is not counted. I like Mike Burke - he has one of the best grips in the world - maybe the best. He is better than this lift shows and he should not have gotten credit for a world record with this lift.

• Like 8

Judging in grip contests needs to be cleaned up. Why isn't the same standard applied for an axle deadlift as a deadlift in a powerlifting contest? If the lifter does not control the weight at the top and lower it to the floor it is not counted. I like Mike Burke - he has one of the best grips in the world - maybe the best. He is better than this lift shows and he should not have gotten credit for a world record with this lift.

I agree after watching the video

I think judging overall in most NAGS contests is fine though

I think judging at grip contests has been excellent for all events except the DO Axle. Way too many bad lifts being passed on the axle event. The NAGS top 50 list for the axle has one lift in the top 10 that is easily the worst example of judging I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I shouldn't have used a blanket statement because my experience with this is the Mighty Mitts and watching Odd's contests at the Fit Expo. Judging for the axle and rolling thunder at Odd's contests has been very loose in my opinion. Judging for the axle at the Mighty Mitts was always very strange to me as well - it wasn't a standard axle setup and torqued so hard it was nearly impossible to hold. I've always considered a good lift with the axle (or RT) on that you can lift and demonstrate control of. The axle in particular is rewarded by how fast you pull the axle to the top when you don't require control to be demonstrated - the faster it is lifted the less time rotation has to work the axle out of your thumb. This type of judging gives a clear advantage to those with the strongest deadlifts and looses the spirit and intent of the lift in a grip contest.

• Like 5

Wade,

What you mean by: "it wasn't a standard axle setup and torqued so hard it was nearly impossible to hold." ?

-Juha

Juha - in Mighty Mitts we used "Sorins Monster". It was an axle with large bell weights with a larger diameter than a lifting plate. This setup causes the bar to rotate with more torque and made it nearly impossible to hold on top. There was a big advantage to pull the bar fast to the top before the torque spun the axle from your hands. I would just like to see the axle judged like a deadlift - hold with demonstrated control - including your grip - until there is a down signal. The strongest grip is winning the event either way but records in particular should be clean enough to stand up to the highest scrutiny.

• Like 4

Juha - in Mighty Mitts we used "Sorins Monster". It was an axle with large bell weights with a larger diameter than a lifting plate. This setup causes the bar to rotate with more torque and made it nearly impossible to hold on top. There was a big advantage to pull the bar fast to the top before the torque spun the axle from your hands. I would just like to see the axle judged like a deadlift - hold with demonstrated control - including your grip - until there is a down signal. The strongest grip is winning the event either way but records in particular should be clean enough to stand up to the highest scrutiny.

Thanks for your answer Wade. I have seen on video Sorin´s monster and it looks scary. :)

I think same that axle (and Reeves deadlift & rolling thunder) should be judged like deadlift at official powerlifting contest. This is how I have tried to judge at our contests. I know that my judging has took off some kilos from some lifters but it´s even-handed for all and I have got much thanks for it.

Edited by Juha Harju
  • Like 3

That lift was a clear no go.. Burke is a beast nothing against him.. But he rode it down his legs otherwise he would have dropped it. No control whatsoever once he got it past his knees. Heck, from his reaction after, I think he knew it wasn't a good lift

Edited by jvance