Joe Kinney "monster Gripper"

richcottrell

Let me start off saying i have read and reread the achieved threads on Joe Kinney, and i do not want to get into a flame war.

I have never watched the "Get a Grip" video, but i have read the CoC Book and I have bought the IronMind magazines that have Joe Kinney stories in them.

I would like to know what the elite grip community thinks of the Joe Kinney "Monster Gripper"?

At one point they were sold at FunctionalHand Strength but i question if they play any real role in the modern Grip World due to all the current options [so many gripper options from CoC, GHP, Tetting, and David Horne's Vulcan, not to mention all the grip machines that are on the market.]

Did anyone ever use the Monster Gripper? ,or

Is it more of a historical piece? ,or

Is it just great marketing?

thanks,

rich

• Like 1

It amounts to nothing more than the extended handle Tettings. Force it shut and hang on for dear life.

It's the same idea as Kinney's suggestion in the CoC book to anchor a pipe in a tree (or wherever) and insert a regular heavy gripper.

I have always felt like it's a great way to bruise your palm.

• Like 4

Joe came up with unique solutions to what he viewed as needed objects for his training. Having put forth what he did - people then started finding their own ways to "duplicate" the methods with the same or different equipment pieces. Joe responded very well to brutally hard negative training - others may or may not have those same results with his methods and may do better with another method completely. The only way to know is to try different ways for yourself.

I tried rating one of these things and it was obscenely hard. The weight I had on there actually destroyed my carabiner. Not sure how much was on there at this time.

I'll let you know ... I'm getting one. I think you have to have a lot of conditioning of your palm. I've used the Tettings so I have a good base. I think it will be neat with the U shape spring. And the Tettings you have to choke them to get that range. I found if I didn't choke them, they dug even more into the palm.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt-

I tried it for two sets. It's harder than a wc... But the beyond the range is filed down pretty well, so it feels like if you rated that wc at 272; this would be around 300lb.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I have the Little Monster Gripper....it is somewhere between a COC 4 and the original Monster Gripper.  I use it strictly in a power rack setting....able to use body weight and leverage to get that thing close to being shut...then, lay off a bit and allow my hand strength to take over as I perform 5-10 second "holds" with it.  Great Training!!  I still believe that I will (most likely in 2018) be able to close this gripper without body weight or extra leverage.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

For what these types of springs are helpful? Anyway, recently, Vitali Sevko rated one of these. That one has a spring with a diameter of 1.1 cm (0.437 in), equivalent to the (Super?) Galaxy Warren Tetting. With a distance left to close of 6.8 mm, that could reach more than 180 kg! At 20-23 mm left, it was above 110 kg.

Note: the way he measures it is equivalent to the RGC.

• Like 3

That thing is super cool