Road To The Blob!

Mike Sharkey

Well, you knew it was coming. Please join in & post up.

I think its pretty cool we have threads going for some of the major feats in Grip. Very definable definitive measures of strength.

This is my most recent lift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf8Cq2K2W4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXpTbhVCDiUccUuCP4NBGmQ

Originally, I didn't think I would pursue this feat, but now I think it may be the first one I can actually achieve. :grin: I have a 42.5# blob on the way. Hopefully Jedd will chime in from time to time.

• Like 4

Guest Squat More

Start training without your index finger to get used to it Mike, because once you get to bigger blobs, and unless you have long hands - it makes it very hard to lift a blob. Almost impossible for your palm to span the top, so practice it up and hit those three fingers harder.

David Horne suggested that I try it even in training and it has worked well for me, you'll see guys who are strong with blobs but don't have overly large hands either do the same thing. Juha Harju is one prime example.

• Like 3

I'm in

I have the shortest fingers despite having an 8 inch hand so I've struggled with pinch in general. I recently got a cheap half 50 lb blob but its too easy-will work single finger work with it- Also might get my sister to use it.

I plan to save up next year for a bigger one. I might ask daniel to bring one this saturday and give it a shot again, my first attempt was pathetic though and I'm not really any stronger with pinch now due to lack of training.

You will totally get this lift man along with a #3 close.

Question how many women have lifted the blob? I figure Elizabeth and probably Amy can or have.

Start training without your index finger to get used to it Mike, because once you get to bigger blobs, and unless you have long hands - it makes it very hard to lift a blob. Almost impossible for your palm to span the top, so practice it up and hit those three fingers harder.

David Horne suggested that I try it even in training and it has worked well for me, you'll see guys who are strong with blobs but don't have overly large hands either do the same thing. Juha Harju is one prime example.

Thanks for the tip. I was just noticing Teemu doing mirror blobs without the index and wondering if I was going to have to adjust my grip. After I start dominating the 42.5# blob I just picked up, I will be in the market for a big boy one. Of all the grip stuff I have tried up until this point, the blocks are my definite favorite.

According to Jedd's eBook, which I highly recommend, Elizabeth Horne is the only woman to lift it currently. I believe she used the board dragging method as a primary training tool.

I am by no means an expert, but my wide pinch does seem to be my strongest grip strength. Even though I seemed to be ahead of the curve from the start, I can give a couple pieces of advise that seemed to help me more than anything for blob lifting.

For several weeks, I focused mainly on triple, double, and then single-finger lifts with both blobs and plate-pinching. I took the blob that was my original max lift and slowly worked it down from a full, four-finger + thumb lift down until I could get it with two fingers only. Then I progressed on up the ladder taking off one digit at a time on each new blob I tried. I would probably suggest doing single-finger lifting with plates only, as it is really hard to grasp a blob with only your thumb and ring-finger, etc because of the odd shape. This and farmers walks helped a ton.

I know a lot of people and myself included use to think that the length, breadth, etc of your fingers are the main components for blob lifting, but I really think it has a ton to do with the overall shape of your hand and fingers. Having long or thick fingers doesn't really help as much when you can't get a large coverage area of your finger on the blob. I have somewhat malformed fingers due to a few broken ones in my life and I think this helps me get some really weird angles on my finger coverage on the object.

The second greatest piece of advise I can give is to try every single angle, form, finger placement, etc that you can. I have tried to pull blobs that seemed stuck to the ground like glue and then came back a few minutes later and tweaked my placement and was able to do a timed hold for a few seconds. Try at least 3-4 different finger placements before you move on.

Best of luck guys.

• Like 3

Guest al  smith

When I joined this site I had no idea what I was in for. I know I have a very strong grip. A strong grip helped me win championships in high school and college wrestling. In the 118lb. weight class I placed 4th in the country when in college. A strong grip helped me dominate the states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania in both wrist and arm wrestling during the 70's and 80's in the 150lb. weight class and even some titles in the 175lb. weight class. A serious case of a form of tendinitis called "trigger finger" forced me to retire from that sport. After joining this site I soon learned that having a strong grip does not automatically make you great at bending things. I have doubts I will ever be great at bending things. After 50 years of strength training I surely doubt I can get any stronger. Now "blob" challenges are much more to my liking and something I feel comfortable giving advice in.

Actually, before joining this site a "blob" to me, was "the blob", a movie monster. The "blob" I use is one I have made. Using smooth surfaced identical 10lb. plates a 20,30,40,50 pound blob can be made. My 40lb. "blob" is, from what I can judge from seeing "blobs" on the internet,has the dimensions of a "store bought blob." It is 4 1/2 inches wide and 6 1/2 inches long. The one drawback from "my" "blob" is that the plates tend to shift; making it clumsy and likely more difficult to grip than the store bought "blob." But, it's good enough.

Today I tried to see just how long I could grip my 40lb. blob. Upon my first attempt, I held it for 29 seconds. Subsequent attempts proved to be a steady decline.

I've very small hands and slender short fingers. The size and structure of my hands are not conducive for blob gripping or arm wrestling. In fact, they present an obstacle. Most good arm wrestlers have very large hands with long fingers. Yet, I over-came having small hands/slender short fingers to win championship after championship. I did so by firstly, and most obviously,building up muscle. Yes, it's called "arm wrestling." But, anyone who just uses their arm muscle strength will never become a champion. One needs to use as many muscle groups as possible to claim that honor. I learned to use almost all my muscle groups in any given contest. Secondly, it is not only important to build up "muscle strength" but also "tendon strength." Blob gripping and holding is great for doing that. Tendon strength gives you the advantage of not only having power..but also "enduring power" to outlast your rival. Also,to achieve excellence in arm wrestling I worked up to being able to do 3 "one arm" pull-ups. A one arm pull-up is just as it is stated→ hang from a chinning bar with one arm, the other behind your back and pull yourself up to your chin with that one arm. Working up into being able to accomplish a one arm pull-up will also increase your grip tremendously.

When attempting to grip onto a "blob" and hold it for as long as you can you may find my method useful: First grip the blob at head level so your trapeze and deltoid muscles save your forearm muscles for later. As, your trapeze and deltoid muscles get fatigued lower the blob and by bending your torso opposite the hand gripping the weight your oblique muscles will come into action sparing your forearm from the full burden of gripping the weight. [-- Actually, few really take into consideration just how vital having a strong "core" {obliques/abdominal muscles} is to one's total body strength. Sure, the "six-pack" may look "neat" but know that building up one's core strength is THE single best way to improve one's total body power.--] When your core muscles become fatigued slowly allow the arm with the hand gripping the blob to fall to full extension and "hold on." Remember, your fingers haven't any muscles and are only as strong as the muscles that manipulate them but make sure you use all of them..including your pinky! Think of gripping a blob for as long as you can as a "chain;" with different muscle groups being links in that chain and your hand being the weakest link.

Now, whether or not you find anything useful from my advice,one thing is indisputable→ The MORE muscle/tendon groups you put into play; the longer you will be able to grip a blob or anything else.

Guest Squat More

Can I get in on this? I know I have lifted my 51lb blob, but it has always been after a warmup on the band deloader and some ramp drags - never pulled it clean without doing those first. I'd like to be able to pull my blob to lockout anytime, warm or cold - I'd be honest about my efforts of course. You alright with that Jaws?

Can I get in on this? I know I have lifted my 51lb blob, but it has always been after a warmup on the band deloader and some ramp drags - never pulled it clean without doing those first. I'd like to be able to pull my blob to lockout anytime, warm or cold - I'd be honest about my efforts of course. You alright with that Jaws?

Hell yes brother.

I was thinking about a bosco bell as a future purchase. my RT is so bad though, I don't know if its worth it, or if its kinda redundant

Guest Squat More

Get stronger on the RT first, then invest in the bosco bell, but remember that with the bell also comes the loading media which can be pricey too, then there is deciding on size of loading media. Mine loaded my bosco up to 148lbs and change, packed tight (after some settling and adding more lead shot) and it does not move around in the globes at all. Has all the rotational force as I believe a baby inch would. I will say that the bosco bell, fully loaded and packed tight with the side screws is well worth the price for training on an inch, probably the best thing for it. Will know for sure when I get my inch replica up north to me.

• Like 1

Just want to give a shout out to my man Jedd, who's expert advice allowed me to score two Fatman blobs under the wire for a ridiculous price.

If you're like me (in need of massive help), investing in his ebook or personal coaching is a sound decision.

http://thegripauthor...ft-the-blob.htm

here's the bounty:

• Like 2

Those look really nice, congratulations.I'm jealous that you were able to get two so quick haha. Those are rare.

A little piece of history + a great training tool.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

this is going to take .... a while...

i did however manage a tiny drag left handed haha :rock

the paint is definitely a bit slicker than the other blocks I have so far. any recommendations? sand a little? paint thinner? leave it alone?

Mike, nice blobs. It wont take you as long as you think. I swear the best way to train to lift a 50 lber is to train with the 50 lber. Make a de-loader, it will help your hands get used to the width and it will help mentally ( which is the biggest obstacle).

Guest Squat More

He's right Mike, I went from not getting air under a blob to a full lift in a few weeks using a band deloader and ramp drags. I had done zero wide pinch before that for at least a year+

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Jon I saw your deloader, but I'm not sure I have the facility to create a similar one. I think its going to be isos, then drags and then using a board. I got a little drag last night lefty, which was cool. Do you have any recommendation about the finish though. It seems these were repainted (maybe) at some point. Either that, or this is the original finish and they were never used. I was thinking about sanding the bottom part so I could train with that to start with.

Mentally I had a real block with these bigger blobs, but seeing you and others lift it convinced me I could get it if I wanted to. My hand fits over it more than I expected, and I may not even have to remove my index finger. I'll practice both ways.

As I stated previously, make sure that you pay attention to you hand/finger placement as much as possible. Get a piece of board chalk and mark your finger placement for each really comfortable lift and soon it will be memory. It took me several tries, but I finally found that I could lift easier when my index finger was closer to the middle of the blob instead of middle or ring fingers. I moved it over maybe half an inch and it must have really made a difference for me. You have to find the right placement so that the weight will be evened out proportionately to your finger strengths. Maybe this is too detailed and some may believe this was over-thinking it, but I swear this seemed to help me more than adding additional strength. I probably half-ass trained blobs a total of 20-25 times over a 8 month span before moving from a 35lb hex to a 40 lb blob. I then realized something must be wrong and it was either mental or technical. Within a couple weeks I tweaked the technical part (hand/finger placement) and ignored the mental barrier and the lift came much easier than I ever anticpated.

**No comments on my half-ass training btw. I am lazy and do not ever seem to follow a work-out schedule. I always say I am but never do**

Edited by Billy Jack
  • Like 1

thanks man. I definitely am going to play with finger placement and see what is comfortable. Jedd's eBook talked about having the index and thumb in as direct opposition as possible, and that seems to be working for me. we will see with this larger shape.