Experiencing Some Wrist Pain

Anthony C.

Hey all,

I started training grip hard a few months ago and recently (2 weeks or so) my right wrist has been giving me pain. I have been weight lifting for over 5 years and have never had a problem with my wrists, so i know it's from grip training.

When the pain started, i immediately took a week off from any activity but still did light active recovery to keep the hands and wrists warm. However when i went back to training it started up again.

Just wondering, could it be that the tendons in my wrist are just weak and need to toughen up? The pain is when i apply force to the wrist in push up position and it goes away a few days after a grip workout and its only in my right wrist.. Thank you all for any advice you have!

Sounds like an overuse problem. Treat it like any other injury - RICE - rest - ice - compression - and elevation. Make the rest active and perhaps a short course of anti inflammatory drugs. If it doesn't clear up fairly soon - see a doctor and get an idea of what is going on before trying to treat it improperly at that point. .

I experienced the same when i started and once it healed up i have never delt with it

again, i believe its part of it i get kinks and pains alot from bending and grippers

you just gotta take time off and heal up good, like all the way.

Sounds like an overuse problem. Treat it like any other injury - RICE - rest - ice - compression - and elevation. Make the rest active and perhaps a short course of anti inflammatory drugs. If it doesn't clear up fairly soon - see a doctor and get an idea of what is going on before trying to treat it improperly at that point. .

Thanks for the advice, climber. Can i ask what you mean by rice? Twisting the wrist in a bucket full of rice, i'm assuming?

I experienced the same when i started and once it healed up i have never delt with it

again, i believe its part of it i get kinks and pains alot from bending and grippers

Thanks, josh. I definitely agree, it feels like a "what the hell are you doing, we're not used to this" kind of pain lol. I am gonna implement more wrist specific exercises to my routine to try to strengthen up the area. In the mean time i've been doing lots of contrast bathing and massage work/foam rolling.

Yea everything will toughin up over time lever work and wrist roller works

great.

Thanks for the advice, climber. Can i ask what you mean by rice? Twisting the wrist in a bucket full of rice, i'm assuming?

Thanks, josh. I definitely agree, it feels like a "what the hell are you doing, we're not used to this" kind of pain lol. I am gonna implement more wrist specific exercises to my routine to try to strengthen up the area. In the mean time i've been doing lots of contrast bathing and massage work/foam rolling.

its just the acronym :)

R= rest

I = ice

C = compression

E = elevate

As far as that goes a rice bucket wouldn't hurt anything either - that would be considered active rest

Yea everything will toughin up over time lever work and wrist roller works

great.

Can do brother! I will use both.

its just the acronym :)

LOL thank you for clearing that up for me. I feel extremely slow right about now.

R= rest

I = ice

C = compression

E = elevate

As far as that goes a rice bucket wouldn't hurt anything either - that would be considered active rest

Thanks man, i should've gotten that the first time around when you explained it lol.