Dalton, Ga Dec. 14

James Retarides

On December 14 at the North Hills Hall in Dalton, GA there will be several strength events taking place including kettlebell and the GA State Armwrestling Championship. I was asked to put on a grip event. I have never been to a grip event. In fact, my first event will be the week before at Gripmas. I will be driving a Kia Sorrento down there so I won't be able to bring axles and such. I was thinking maybe sledgehammers, grippers, griptopz, maybe an RT. Also, is there enough support in northwest GA to put on an event? Any input on what type of events to put on would be greatly appreciated.

Hey James,

I am a novice armwrestler who is planning on attending this event. I am 2.5 hours away. I have been in the process of accumulating grip items over the past few months with the hopes of having some type of Southeast comp in the future, so this post is definately a sight for sore eyes. Been trying to get more people I know interested in grip.

If you need any help with equipment, weights, monetary support, etc., please PM me and let me know. I will be more than glad to help out in any way that I can. I have several grippers, blobs, sledges, etc that I can bring. I will probably also have alot more stuff between now and Dec. as well. Just let me know.

Kyle

i put on my first competition here in ohio this past summer. of course there is already a ton of interest up here. i had most of my promotion success on facebook. PM me if you'd like any specific advice on your first event.

Thank you Kyle and Bubba. I am also doing an armwrestling seminar and ref's seminar that day as well with Bill Cox and Ron Bath. I am going to have to figure out a schedule of events and could really use some input on what to offer. Essentially, should it be a gauntlet type event with a 40lb blob, RT, sledge coin lift, V-Bar and a penny or hub? I remember the gauntlet at the Arnold being very popular.

Thank you Kyle and Bubba. I am also doing an armwrestling seminar and ref's seminar that day as well with Bill Cox and Ron Bath. I am going to have to figure out a schedule of events and could really use some input on what to offer. Essentially, should it be a gauntlet type event with a 40lb blob, RT, sledge coin lift, V-Bar and a penny or hub? I remember the gauntlet at the Arnold being very popular.

what you call a gauntlet, many call a medley but anyway...semantics. simple things to do in a medley would be to hub various deep dish plates, pinch 25s, 35s, bottoms up KB press, sledge to face, lift a KB from the bottom of the bell (like a blob), 1 hand BB lift, as you notice none of these are specialized grip implements.

you could have the rolling thunder as a separate event. i did rising bar with max total for both hands being the winner. starting weight would be 70#. if you fail at a weight with your left but get it with the right, you only advance with the right.

what you call a gauntlet, many call a medley but anyway...semantics. simple things to do in a medley would be to hub various deep dish plates, pinch 25s, 35s, bottoms up KB press, sledge to face, lift a KB from the bottom of the bell (like a blob), 1 hand BB lift, as you notice none of these are specialized grip implements.

you could have the rolling thunder as a separate event. i did rising bar with max total for both hands being the winner. starting weight would be 70#. if you fail at a weight with your left but get it with the right, you only advance with the right.

Forgive my lack of proper terminology as I am but a neophyte. Thank you for the input. I should probably include some kind of pinch event. What is a 1-hand BB?

James,

As far as pinch, I have the following blobs or hex blocks available that I could bring: 25 blob, 30 blob, 35 hex, 40 blob, 45 blob, and a Blob50.

I also have a an FBBC "Chunk" which is a blob simulator that can be adjusted to varying widths that can be attached to a loading pin for a progressive weight contest.

I definately think that some type of medley/guantlet would be great. People seem to really like trying several different types of things, as they may be better at sledge levering vs pinch, open-hand vs crush, etc. 15-20 challenge items in a timed format seems to have worked smoothly in just about every past major event that I have seen. Just need to make sure you have 4-5 challenges for each type of grip strength represented so that the challenge is not lop-sided to one strength or another.

James,

Are you looking at hosting a sanctioned Grip Sport event, or are you just looking to put on a challenge booth type of affair featuring grip items?

Thanks,

Jedd

James,

Are you looking at hosting a sanctioned Grip Sport event, or are you just looking to put on a challenge booth type of affair featuring grip items?

Thanks,

Jedd

Hey Jedd,

I have no idea. It looks like Bob will be around to help me with the particulars. It could be a good dry run for us considering he was thinking about putting on events in Charlotte in the future. What would having an event sanctioned entail?