Anvil

Jeremy C.

That's pretty much a typical price for a used anvil of that size. If you can pick it up, you save the high shipping costs, so that's a big plus.

Are you looking for an anvil you can pick up by the horn right away, or more of a long term challenge?

I've never tried to pick up an anvil. I'm thinking 126 lbs would be a bit of a challenge at first and I could add weight as I go.

I have a number of anvils and some extra. Anyone close to Columbia SC. Can contact me. Perhaps I can help you. Anvils price by age ,condition and maker sets the price. You have to know what you are looking at. Range from probably 1.50 a pound to over 5.00.

Here is the info and pic of the anvil.

ANVIL WEIGHS 126 POUNDS, IS IN GOOD CONDITION AND HAS "M&H ARMITAGE, MOUSEHOLE" WRITTEN ON THE SIDE,ALONG WITH THE NUMBERS 1.0.14. $295 OBO.

Anvil.zip

That anvil looks to be in fine shape for grip purposes. Offer him $200 and see what he says.

That is a nice anvil good marks. One of the first I ever found was marked the same way. Mouse hole anvils are sought after. Remember the numbers stamped on them is in English hundred weight (112) lbs, quarters of hundred weight 28lbs( second number, and the third number is pounds. Thus a 1.2.1 Would weigh 169.....128+56+1=169

The Mouse Hole forge was started around 1628 in Sheffield England. It produced pig iron and wrought iron. the only known recorded built anvils from the Mouse Hole was started in 1790 until the end of the forge in 1933.

William Armitage started building anvils at MH in 1790 with a guy named Cockshutt. Armitage's grandsons took over the business in 1823, The name change on the Mouse Hole forge anvils was changed to M&H Armitage Mouse Hole ( like the one you listed here) at this time.

A rare and much sought after tool in the Blacksmith world. I would put a price tag of $350 firm if it were mine

The Mouse Hole forge was started around 1628 in Sheffield England. It produced pig iron and wrought iron. the only known recorded built anvils from the Mouse Hole was started in 1790 until the end of the forge in 1933.

William Armitage started building anvils at MH in 1790 with a guy named Cockshutt. Armitage's grandsons took over the business in 1823, The name change on the Mouse Hole forge anvils was changed to M&H Armitage Mouse Hole ( like the one you listed here) at this time.

A rare and much sought after tool in the Blacksmith world. I would put a price tag of $350 firm if it were mine

By the way, the M is for Morgan and the H is for Henry..... Ask the guy that is selling it if it has a good "Ring" to it :)

Not to mention there are a lot of other fun things you can do with an anvil besides just lifting it by the horn...

Not to mention there are a lot of other fun things you can do with an anvil besides just lifting it by the horn...

Yeah, Get yourself a 2 LB and a 4 LB rubber mallet and train up to striking it 100 or more blows in one minute.

Never strike the face of the anvil with a steel hammer only

Yeah, Get yourself a 2 LB and a 4 LB rubber mallet and train up to striking it 100 or more blows in one minute.

Never strike the face of the anvil with a steel hammer only

Or curl it, press it, throw it, carry it... Manhandle the thing!

the guy told me that he sold it yesterday. Oh well, next time I run across one I'll have a better understanding of

what i'm looking for in an anvil.