Possible Grip Mutant?

mightyjoe

Two quick questions is there a video of Brian doing 3 - 35s ( hopefully York) held without a center bar? I think hat is truly an outstanding feat! Also , the Gracie Bell I wondered what the handle diameter is (for the record).

After watching the strongman contest this weekend I noticed the MANY ways the axle or dumbbell is termed "pressed". A press, push press, jerk press , push jerk and a jerk are all very similar looking but vary in merit by night and day. The use of leg drive double dip up and under bar or the pure grinding press is a WORLD apart. In most strongman events I see " those in the know" learn how to jerk the bell. I was there for Mark Henry's epoch clean and push press of the bell at the AOBS. He was injured in the shoulder at the time but was enough of "a gamer" to shove it overhead with a bit of leg drive.

Richard - THE Gracie Bell (it is the original as the first one was made just for me and I named it after Weldon's daughter) weighs 146# on a certified scale and the handle is 2.375" in diameter and perfectly round. The handle is longer than the Inch at 5". I know Weldon made several of these DBs with similar specs and one that was much heavier - somewhere around 182# if my memory is correct?

This subject comes up pretty consistently - enough so that i wish one of them would just show up and put us all out of our misery. I enjoy seeing what the human potential can be. And without any doubt – these guys are incredibly strong and at the top of the food chain in what they do – in their entire bodies and in the case of grip strength “perhaps” the best on the planet. But I have stood beside all these guys, and at 6’2” tall and 205# I feel like a dwarf or midget or little person or whatever is PC these days. Not to belittle them in any way but 400# people who are Professional Strength Athletes having strong grips – why is this surprising to anyone? I’m impressed of course – but hardly surprised.

Saying they will rewrite all the grip strength records is like saying they will win the Gold Medal in the Olympics in the Snatch and C&J. Possible but until they actually show up and do it – meh……

Well said, Chris! I'm always impressed by freak shows like what you're talking about. But not usually too surprised.

It's frankly becoming a bit comical to see the remarks about the pro strongmen being able to "destroy all the grip records." Well, yippee. Destroy them. Seriously. Then train for a few years and continue to destroy them. The dedicated grip trainers will continue to train and having higher records won't be a detriment in any way. Having records that are easily breakable would be a letdown. Besides, there are weight classes in US Grip Sport and overseas grip contests.

So what would really impress me to the bone is if a 400lb pro strongman (Oh, I'll be nice - even a 300lb pro) manages to drop to the 59kg class and "destroy" the grip records in that weight class. Hooray. Then they can "bulk up" to the 66kg weight class and "destroy" the records in that weight class. Then eat a few more hamburgers and destroy the records in the 74kg class. Woot, woot. What's next? Upward and onward. 83kg class. 93kg class...blah, blah, blah.

Have at it pro strongmen, lol.

• Like 2

Chris thanks for the info ! So that's right on Inch handle size! That is a big bell to be cleaning. Weldon is a real nice guy, he helped me several times to get some cool grip tools.

Chris thanks for the info ! So that's right on Inch handle size! That is a big bell to be cleaning. Weldon is a real nice guy, he helped me several times to get some cool grip tools.

Richard - I've only managed to clean it a couple times over the years and with a lot of failed attempts. If it weighed one more ounce I don't think I would have got it :) and I had to "get under it" a good bit to clean it. But several people have done it after my Gripmas Carol contest when the after comp playing around was going on. There's been a few actual Inch Replica overheads done as well here but with two hand cleans - so not a grip feat but still darn impressive. I have thought a couple times about having a machine shop cut the handle length down to Inch specs but probably will not do it.

I spoke with Dr. Todd today and he was amazed at Mr.Burkes near clean with the two Inch replicas. If he could do that and add icing to that get them overhead it would in his ( Dr.Todds) expert opinion one of the greatest strength feats ever.

The details of the Henry Inch Replica snatch was on a third try, full power splot( yes a combination of split and squat leg position) with a full recovery to a "done lift" position. A week or so later it was going to be tried again for film but a shoulder injury surgery from wrestling prevented it.

Todd, Henry, and myself agree that if ever to be remembered for a single feat Mike Burke with a bit of concentrated training could make true and lasting strength history.

Vogts ghp9 and coc4 ccs attempt come within 4mm..which is incredible.

Vogts ghp9 is not out of the package either and is not rgc'd so we can only make a generalisation about its difficulty.

You,'re right though, there is no one close to holle..he closed the ghp9 easy.

Sorry I meant holle's is not out of the package either.

• Like 1

Two quick questions is there a video of Brian doing 3 - 35s ( hopefully York) held without a center bar? I think hat is truly an outstanding feat! Also , the Gracie Bell I wondered what the handle diameter is (for the record).

After watching the strongman contest this weekend I noticed the MANY ways the axle or dumbbell is termed "pressed". A press, push press, jerk press , push jerk and a jerk are all very similar looking but vary in merit by night and day. The use of leg drive double dip up and under bar or the pure grinding press is a WORLD apart. In most strongman events I see " those in the know" learn how to jerk the bell. I was there for Mark Henry's epoch clean and push press of the bell at the AOBS. He was injured in the shoulder at the time but was enough of "a gamer" to shove it overhead with a bit of leg drive.

He had a center bar I believe I read and I don't know about how wide they were.He posted the feat on here before but the video isn't up anymore. I think his recent destruction of the blobzilla is his best pinch feat.

I think big z would be one of the only guys to probably strict press the inch but I don't think he could clean it.

I've trained with Nathan many times and seen him do incredible things .

The most incredible tho was repping the no4 . You would not believe the ease with which he does it . I've three different No 4 's and it doesn't matter which one he uses !

Chris, how is Nathan at thickbar events? it is quite clear from your words (and from his video of the GHP #9 with the block set) that he has quite possible the strongest crushing grip in the world. And he is good with wide sets too, that is why I ask, is he any good at thickbar? Please delight us by telling us what else you've seen him do, if possible.

Nathan can deadlift the a replica of the Apollon bell , 226 lbs with the same handle as the Inch .

He's very strong at plate wrist curls , doing 15kg x 10 quite easily .

He concentrates more on grippers and gets a good carry over for the other aspects of grip.

• Like 1

Nathan can deadlift the a replica of the Apollon bell , 226 lbs with the same handle as the Inch .

He's very strong at plate wrist curls , doing 15kg x 10 quite easily .

He concentrates more on grippers and gets a good carry over for the other aspects of grip.

Nathan is very modest - a feature that adorns the person.

But as a result we have an information vacuum about the strongest grip in the world.

You can make a video with the achievements of by the grip? Including deadlift dumbbells Millennium?

I like it Ben, im not much impressed either. Who couldn't break records when your the size of King Kong. Not to mention that there could be extra help involved...get it

• Like 1

whatever happened to the original guy this thread was about?

Wow Ben, you are one hard guy to impress!! :)

Chris, if you did the feats I would be quite impressed. You are a "normal-ish" guys in terms of bodyweight and hand size, as far as from what I know about you from the board. Switch that around to 400lbs and 9" hands and (to me) it quickly becomes a Yawneeeeee concert. And yes, I misspelled that on purpose, damn spelling policia.

I like it Ben, im not much impressed either. Who couldn't break records when your the size of King Kong. Not to mention that there could be extra help involved...get it

Right on Parris. I don't even knock the extra help that might be involved.

whatever happened to the original guy this thread was about?

Grip Obscurity? Quickest from zero to hero to zero? Who knows. :grin:

I look at this whole thing from the stand point of "human potential" and not "what's impressive"

because regardless of the body weight of the performer, clean and pressing 2, Inch Replicas

would be impressive regardless! BTW, I have immense respect for Ben Edwards! The guy is a gentleman

and a very informed and experienced grip athlete and this is in no way an attack against what Ben is saying.

It's simply another way of looking at the same subject. Differently.

The original subject for this thread was simply a possible candidate for someone who may

possess enormous grip strength without specific grip training. The cleaning of an Inch Replica was

mentioned to him by me because of this fact. It would be considered a huge grip feat from any human.

Can one honestly say that if Burke cleaned and pressed 2, Inch Replicas that this would not be impressive? I don't think so! This is why I see it from the stand point of just what is the human potential (regardless of body weight) when it comes to grip strength? Not to mention it's fun and mentally healthy to think and ponder such things.

Lastly, there's an unproven assumption that just because an individual is larger in body weight that they

are automatically considered stronger. Not true. Why? Because there's smaller individuals performing greater

feats of grip strength than many of their heavier opponents. Am I saying size doesn't matter? Absolutely not!

But we need to be more specific when describing impressiveness based on body weight alone. If you have a guy that weighs 200 lbs. and a guy that weighs 400 lbs. performing the same feat, it's assumed that the heavier guy

should be able to perform the feat easier than the heavier guy. The only problem here is this is not reality and

I've seen it to the contrary quite often in my career.

Any feat could be labeled impressive based on the perceptions of the viewer. To one person it was impressive, to the next person is wasn't. What I'm concerned with is human potential. What's the limits of human grip strength in all it's different aspects? WOW! A 150 lb. man closed a #3 without a set! Impressive! But is this the

limit of human potential? Allow your mind to explore this question! Fascinating indeed!

My point is simple:there are many powerlifters and strongmen that lifted the inch without any specific training;

all the #4 closers spent years of training to achieve this feat.

Clearly what burke did is very impressive but in my opinion closing a 4 with ccs set or bending a koasb is still a lot more impressive.

• Like 3

Guest Squat More

Gazza bent a big king of all shiny bastards in single suedes, and I still have the video. Of course, there are cliques who will tell you it's fake even though he opened the package on video and bent the bars because it's so easy for a fake to "switch the bars"... so who cares right?

Oh and if you really think Gazza was a fake, ask Chris James (who said he has trained with Gazza in the past in get togethers with the Holles), David Horne, Maxwell (maximus1) or Mike (Autolupus) and they'll tell you just how "fake" Gary was.

Edited by Squat More
  • Like 1

Gazza bent a big king of all shiny bastards in single suedes, and I still have the video. Of course, there are cliques who will tell you it's fake even though he opened the package on video and bent the bars because it's so easy for a fake to "switch the bars"... so who cares right?

Oh and if you really think Gazza was a fake, ask Chris James (who said he has trained with Gazza in the past in get togethers with the Holles), David Horne, Maxwell (maximus1) or Mike (Autolupus) and they'll tell you just how "fake" Gary was.

I dont think he was a fake but i am such a noob in the grip world that i've never seen any of his videos;

by the way i heard that he bent an edgin BAREHANDED.if that is true its probably the greatest feat of strength of all time.

Edited by CANCRUSHER
  • Like 1

A larger individual should have a stronger grip than a smaller individual. If he does not it means that he is somewhat of an evolutionary failure (climbing a tree would come in handy on an almost daily basis for early humanoids on the African savanna). Smaller individuals who outperform heavier opponents in grip strength do so because they are superior athletes, end of story. I reserve the right to remain unimpressed by athletes displaying very low grip strength to body weight ratios.

Lastly, there's an unproven assumption that just because an individual is larger in body weight that they

are automatically considered stronger. Not true. Why? Because there's smaller individuals performing greater

feats of grip strength than many of their heavier opponents.

• Like 2

Guest Squat More

I never saw an Edgin bare handed but I had seen him kill a few shiny bastards barehanded.

I am feeling generous, these will be up for a day or so then I am deleting them

Holy crap, wasn't expecting to see videos of the bending machine known as Gazza! Thank you for sharing these rare vids.