Building Thicker Hands

MadMardegan

What's the best way to building meatier/thicker hands?

Obviously working the thumb, and using equipment like the TTK will build a bigger thumb pad but what's the best way to get a thicker pinky pad?

I feel like the size difference between the two is too much on my own hands and I'd like to start evening them out.

Lift with your pinky?

I bought eagle loops and plan on doing single digit deads in a few months, focusing on thick bar and sledges at the moment.

Just curious if there was anything else you could do.

Thanks man

You could train with a lighter gripper using the bottom two finger. A pony clamp will also build up the thumb pads very easy.

Heavy dexterity balls will help.

You're asking 2 different questions here. Which one do you want the answer to?

Meatier/thicker hands? Thicker pinky pad?

Thick hands are largely determined by your genetics. Yes. You can gain some thickness but

the kind I believe you are speaking of is determined by ones genetics. Thicker pinky pad can be

increased in size by training that digit in isolation but it will only be marginal.

I agree with Joe, just by normal sense. I don't think the best way in training is to isolate the fingers and expect big closes. I see a lot of guys doing heavy lifts with fingers but I also think those lifts carry huge amounts of risk for injury. Most of them guys are also more experienced lifters/gripster so they have strong tendons.

I would just concentrate on getting the whole hand stronger by doing the basics. I think it's like comparing bicep iscolation curls to deadlifting. You can't go wrong however on building a bigger thumbpad, by using the TTK or the cheaper solution: thumbscrews or pinching in general, for that matter.

Edited by Geralt

You're asking 2 different questions here. Which one do you want the answer to?

Meatier/thicker hands? Thicker pinky pad?

Thick hands are largely determined by your genetics. Yes. You can gain some thickness but

the kind I believe you are speaking of is determined by ones genetics. Thicker pinky pad can be

increased in size by training that digit in isolation but it will only be marginal.

I'm looking to build a thicker "Hypothenar", for helping with gripper set. Sorry about bad quality pic.

Screenshot_2013-09-05-14-10-25.png

You need a solid 'Thenar' aka Thumbbase my friend. Pinching, Telegraph key, pinching in all kinds of diameter, etc.

Get a job as a block layer - you ever see the hands on those guys? Sort of serious here - not about the job but in perhaps duplicating what they do all day every day in your training. I think something we grip guys miss out on in our pinching etc is all the turning, twisting, and other related motions while holding on to things we lift.

• Like 2

Get a job as a block layer - you ever see the hands on those guys? Sort of serious here - not about the job but in perhaps duplicating what they do all day every day in your training. I think something we grip guys miss out on in our pinching etc is all the turning, twisting, and other related motions while holding on to things we lift.

Yeah. What we miss out on is the force of motion acting upon the hand from different directions as the object is moved in various ways... Something to think about in training.

I mean my hands are already pretty big but doing

pinch work and grippers will add some thickness, I have

noticed a big difference in my thumb pad and fingers in

the last 5 months, Just gotta work Hard. But even if your hands

don't get huge don't mean they wont get stronger

i would worry more about your goal, Instead of bog hands

that will come with blood callus and tears...

I find that trying to increase hand thickness is almost like trying to increase wrist circumference: you can succeed with a lot of hard work, but the difference will be somewhat tiny. Genetics suck in a way :D

Well look at Jonathan Vogt's hands, I would say some

size come from training. I almost bet his hands are mostly genetic.

What's the best way to building meatier/thicker hands?

Obviously working the thumb, and using equipment like the TTK will build a bigger thumb pad but what's the best way to get a thicker pinky pad?

I feel like the size difference between the two is too much on my own hands and I'd like to start evening them out.

I don't know if you've ever tried double underhand bending, but my hands have grown in response to an increase in DU bending the past year. A noticable difference in the pinky and thumb pads.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

Isn't he a mechanic like Tommy Jennings? Could have sworn I've seen videos of him in the past in a garage closing GHP grippers and #4 attempts. Most mechanics have beefy hands due to their line of work.

Isn't he a mechanic like Tommy Jennings? Could have sworn I've seen videos of him in the past in a garage closing GHP grippers and #4 attempts. Most mechanics have beefy hands due to their line of work.

He works landscaping I believe

The muscles in the hand can see growth primarily the thumb pad will see the most noticeable gains. The skin will get thicker from everyday use-which is why brick layers or guys who work with hands have thicker/rough hands due to everyday use for years-. I don't think there is any special tricks to get your hands really thick, it takes a long time like with anything and the gains are slow. Genetics play a role with regards to everything but keep training hard and you will notice your fingers and hands increase in size and get much stronger in the process-along with forearm muscle growth-

I really don't think your hands are as out of proportion as you think either so just keep a balanced grip routine and you will be fine.

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Not sure i just seen one of his comments on a video

someone asked about his hand size and he said it runs in his family

his dad also has big hands.

Note: I have pretty thick hands and I do lots and lots of thickbar work. Not just grip specific, either, but I use an axle for just about everything. Might have something to do with it.

Thats true i do the same my hands are a lot more muscular not a hole lot bigger

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, using fat gripz extremes exclusively for everything. I only use them for rows and deads at the moment

I just made my own thick handles my dumbells have 2.20 stainless handles and my

bar has 2 in pvc pipe